Thread: The first of the dust collection videos.

1. Back To Top    #1

The first of the dust collection videos.

Focused on blast gates for this one.

Have a migraine and haven't slept for a couple of days but still decided to knock this one out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giBM9kb22rM

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The first of the dust collection videos.

Sorry about the migraine. That's gotta suck.

But great tip on fixing the problems with the blast gates. Nice to see the actual measurements of how much approximate
    loss you were seeing at each gate, too. That's significant, especially when using your table saw.

I'd be interested to see your "Before and After" anemometer readings when you replace the 90° elbow in the corner above your collector with
    a 45° junction or a quarter-circle bent section. I've seen some tests that show it doesn't restrict as much flow as
    we'd think it would...somewhere between 4-5%, IIRC. I think it depends on the diameter of the tube in the system.

If someone has a bunch of extra time and the material laying around, they might make these DIY blast gates. Go to the
    last 30 seconds or so of the following video to see them in action...

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by bbfoto View Post
    Sorry about the migraine. That's gotta suck.

But great tip on fixing the problems with the blast gates. Nice to see the actual measurements of how much approximate
    loss you were seeing at each gate, too. That's significant, especially when using your table saw.

I'd be interested to see your "Before and After" anemometer readings when you replace the 90° elbow in the corner above your collector with
    a 45° junction or a quarter-circle bent section. I've seen some tests that show it doesn't restrict as much flow as
    we'd think it would...somewhere between 4-5%, IIRC. I think it depends on the diameter of the tube in the system.

If someone has a bunch of extra time and the material laying around, they might make these DIY blast gates. Go to the
    last 30 seconds or so of the following video to see them in action...

That 90 in the corner is there on purpose. The local supply places were out of 45s when I needed them and I got the 90 in a pinch to get the rest of the system built knowing that I'd be changing it out later...and making measurements.

I'll use the anemometer more for sure. Bought it just for the dust collection video series and before and after readings of that 90 are a sure thing.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Nice tutorial, Jason. I've always liked the self-clearing version better, but it takes up more real estate

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71zK2pvPNEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	9150

https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-7013...4-3e7a9c0027d0

5. Back To Top    #5

Yeah, they don’t work with the way I have the gates oriented and I didn’t want to be forced to move the gates left/right vs a straight push/pull.

6. Back To Top    #6

Part 1 of the outfeed table build is up.

7. Back To Top    #7

More shop progress.

8. Back To Top    #8

Another video of shop progress. Some work on the outfeed table and some dust collection tech.