Thread: 3-way active setup, dedicated midbass to 60hz

1. Back To Top    #1

3-way active setup, dedicated midbass to 60hz

Using an SA12 at 1200rms and crossed at 63hz

Ok the info I'm basing the sub crossover at 63hz is from what people are saying about the SA12 and how it doesnt sound good up to 80hz especially when tuned low, which mine will be low at 31hz. In the case that the SA12 does need to be set at say 65-70 once I got it installed and tuned, would it be ok to still cross the midbass at say 80 and just have that gap between 65-70 and 80 where essentially neither speakers is tuned to pick up to that small range of frequencies?

I'll be doing is a custom a pillar for the midrange and tweets. Any suggestions on a 4.5-5" midrange and tweets to go along with an SA12 sub, and a Steven's MB8 midbass

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Maxmil982; 01-29-2020 at 12:06 PM.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Re: 3-way active setup, dedicated midbass to 60hz

We need to know what your mounting depth is. I have an idea for a 7" midbass that might be right up your ally if you're going to bridge that PPI but they're over 4" deep. They should be able to play down to 60hz no problem with their big xmax but are terribly inefficient. I'm referring to the Exodus Anarchy. There's probably a couple people on here with a pair not in use but they'll have to read this and offer up their set if they're willing to sell. Reason I'm suggesting the 7" Anarchy is because they should be about to fit without cutting the door panel IF the mounting depth is enough in your door.

For midrange and tweeter that offers great bang for the buck look no further than SB Acoustics on Madisound. Also maybe post a "want to buy" thread in the classifieds to see what other forum members have laying around that might work for your first build. You never know what someone might have that will fit your needs for a fraction of the cost of new.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

As Justin Zazzi would recommend...since he does EVERY TIME I ask him.....
    Peerless SLS https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...-ohm--264-1148

Also, crossing your subs over at 60hz and your mids over at 80 would work well to get them to blend. Look at Andy Wehmeyer's guides at why that is.
    https://www.audiofrog.com/community/...he-bass-right/
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    As Justin Zazzi would recommend...since he does EVERY TIME I ask him.....
    Peerless SLS https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...-ohm--264-1148

Also, crossing your subs over at 60hz and your mids over at 80 would work well to get them to blend. Look at Andy Wehmeyer's guides at why that is.
    https://www.audiofrog.com/community/...he-bass-right/
    Those Peerless speakers are awesome for the price! Both Jacob and I have heard Zazzi's setup and there's no doubt these 6.5s do the job quite well!

Jacob, I just read Andy's notes and saw the same thing regarding setting my sub at 60 and mid-bass at 80. Going to give it a shot tonight to see how my subs and mid-bass sound at these x-over points.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

I also did this after reading Andy's post. I was pleasantly surprised how this helped in blending bass with midbass. I was in the dark for a while about acoustical and electrical crossovers. I think I have it figured out now. Don't be afraid to try different slopes. When I moved my sub crossover from 80Hz down to 60Hz I had to change to slope from 24 LR to 12 Butter.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Eric

@maxmil982 if you need a smallish midrange for your pillars, look no further that the GB25. After hearing them in other vehicles and now having them in mine, they are awesome little speakers, and they get LOUD without losing composure. I have 8" drivers in my doors and they blend with those no problem.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by mumbles View Post
    @maxmil982 if you need a smallish midrange for your pillars, look no further that the GB25. After hearing them in other vehicles and now having them in mine, they are awesome little speakers, and they get LOUD without losing composure. I have 8" drivers in my doors and they blend with those no problem.
    I agree totally. You'll choke when you pay for them but when you consider what you're getting in such a small package they're really a great value in my opinion. 4mm of Klippel verified linear xmax in a 2.5" midrange ain't nothing to sneeze at

9. Back To Top    #9

Frequency response does not drop like a rock at the crossover point, setting at 60 and 80 does not mean that there will be a void in between - that's where crossover slope comes into play. As a matter of fact, I would be surprised if you overlap and it ends up sounding good.