Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Calgary Car Audio Get-Together

1. Calgary Car Audio Get-Together

There's a handful of us, located in Calgary, that intend to get together on a regular basis.
    Just meetup, have a coffee, talk shop, compare systems and ideas...
    Feel free to join us, if you're in the area.

The first meeting is this Saturday (Feb 1) morning.

10:00am at Tim Horton's
    723 46th Avenue SE, Calgary.

(it's a large parking lot, so we can demo our gear)

https://goo.gl/maps/xxFBi74pmwt9y8wq8
    Last edited by JimmyDee; 01-30-2020 at 01:52 PM.
    New Car... Stock Stereo

2. Back To Top    #21
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Re: Calgary Car Audio Get-Together

Nice turnout! Wish I had some people here in Arkansas to meet with every once in a while. Got a few Olskoolers in the area but they're not really into car audio anymore far as I know.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

3. Back To Top    #22

I wish I could have made it out. Still in bed sick ☹️

To bad about your sub JimmyDee.

Thanks for the pics Blockrocker!

I sure hope a sub sacrifice is not required for all our gatherings, lol
    Just having fun playing in the car audio sandbox!

4. Back To Top    #23

THE SACRIFICIAL SUB... be sure to bring one for the next meeting.

Actually, it sucks when you lose a $550.00 (USD) speaker. But I'm sure it can be repaired. I'll look into having the butyl surround replaced.
    But in the meantime; I've got a Hertz Mille 2500.3 Legend on the way to replace it. The Hertz sub is an upgrade... which I'm a total sucker for.

The tear in the butyl surround is so clean, it almost looks like it was done with a razor knife.
    I suspect Blockrocker was trying to sabotage my system, in a cheap effort to make his sound better... (kidding).

Here's how much of the surround is completely torn away from the basket (I highlighted in red).
    As mentioned by Blockrocker; it's actually shocking that the sub still performs fairly well.
    I mean; I could tell that something wasn't right (you get to know the sound of your system)... but it still thumps fairly well!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inkedg898GB10D2-o_front_LI.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	614.3 KB 
ID:	9154
    New Car... Stock Stereo

5. Back To Top    #24
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Now that I have someone has destroyed your sub and forced you into another, I guess you'll have to sell me the repaired AF really cheap. After all you won't need it any more.

6. Back To Top    #25

If only London Drugs still sold super-cheap Pyramid subwoofers, our tradition could be to sacrifice one at the altar of Bass to start every meet-up... I'm still giggling to myself remembering Blockrocker's demo, the song had a quiet, subtle kick drum in the intro and I was like "hmm, thought there'd be a bit more from that 15"...Then the song actually kicked-in with heavy bass notes and said 15 began rearranging my internal organs while the windshield wipers started bouncing off of the windshield. I forgot, SPL is fun! Wish I had time to hear Casey's Golf.
    '18 VW Golf Sportwagen 4motion 6MT. Hiby RS6 to Helix DSP.3 (Balanced Analog). Amps: Biketronics BT4210 (210 x 4 mids/tweets), Biketronics BT3725 (250 x 2 midbasses, 700 x 1 sub). Mids: Satori MW13P-4 5" (Factory Door Locations). Tweets: Bliesma T25S-6 Silk-Dome 1" (Modded Factory A-Pillar Locations). Midbasses: Dayton Designer DSA175-8 6.5" in Ported Underseat Enclosures. Subs: 2 x Scanspeak Discovery 10" in Underfloor Sealed Enclosure.

7. Back To Top    #26
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

I think I have an old 10" clarion we can burn at the alter next time.

It's inevitable that my demo's devolve into SPL shows, lol. The demo starts fine with some typical Sq songs, then the volume goes up and the bass takes hold. Suddenly no one wants to listen to Toto or Nils Lofgren. So I pull out a little Breakage or DJ Russticals and the SPL show is on. It's fun having the flex to go along with some stage presence. It's just hard to not feed the basshead in me. I promise next time to show the SQ side of things a little more.

Casey's was also a real pounder, but with the Audible Physics in a-pillars, the system had a good balance too. It was fun sharing people styles.

8. Back To Top    #27
    Real Name
    Nick

God damn, how cold was it that you tore a surround?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

9. Back To Top    #28
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

On the flip side we have to worry about the heat where I'm at. How long my gb25's last in my dash with the sun beating down on them is anyone's guess. At least they're in the dash with a grille and not getting a direct hit like the tweeters.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

10. Back To Top    #29

Quote Originally Posted by blockrocker View Post
    Now that I have someone has destroyed your sub and forced you into another, I guess you'll have to sell me the repaired AF really cheap. After all you won't need it any more.
    If that was your end-game... it may have worked!
    I'll probably put it up for sale (cheap), after I get it repaired.
    Even cheaper, if someone wants it damaged (and deal with the repair themselves)...
    New Car... Stock Stereo

11. Back To Top    #30
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    God damn, how cold was it that you tore a surround?
    A few weeks ago it stayed at or below -25C for atleast 6 days. That was the daytime highs, lol.