Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Calgary Car Audio Get-Together

1. Calgary Car Audio Get-Together

There's a handful of us, located in Calgary, that intend to get together on a regular basis.
    Just meetup, have a coffee, talk shop, compare systems and ideas...
    Feel free to join us, if you're in the area.

The first meeting is this Saturday (Feb 1) morning.

10:00am at Tim Horton's
    723 46th Avenue SE, Calgary.

(it's a large parking lot, so we can demo our gear)

https://goo.gl/maps/xxFBi74pmwt9y8wq8
    Last edited by JimmyDee; 01-30-2020 at 01:52 PM.
    New Car... Stock Stereo

2. Back To Top    #11

Re: Calgary Car Audio Get-Together

I will be over at some point this year I reckon so I’ll come to one if this is a regular thing

3. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Pics please
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

4. Back To Top    #13
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    Pics please
    I am heading out the door in 15 minutes or so. I'll be sure to snap a few pics and post this afternoon. Exciting times!!

5. Back To Top    #14
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

I just got back from the first Calgary car audio junkies meetup, and it was a great time. We managed to lure out 5 of 6 planned cars (audiogal remains a myth ) and ended up spending several hours together. Lots of laughs and experiences shared, plus, a cool collection of different systems, all with some really strong individual style. In fact, that was one of the best parts of the day. Seeing first hand how many different styles and preferences can all lead to really great results, all with different but equal strengths.

I was able to hear many types and brands of equipment that I had never heard before, like Audible Physics and Dyn Audio drivers, plus some new Hybrid Clarus subs and woofs that were just insane. I managed to snap a few pics of some of the gear, but I didn't do anything justice, as these were all labors of love.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Casey 1.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	5.69 MB 
ID:	9116 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Casey 3.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	5.01 MB 
ID:	9117 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Casey 2.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	3.98 MB 
ID:	9118
    Casey (I hope I spelled that right) brought out his RHD VW that was kick-ass inside and out. 15" Fi Q-neo, Rockford Fosgate Power T amps and Audible Physics speakers in custom a-pillars (not pictured, my bad). This could both get wicked loud and stay crystal clear, something I'm still trying to accomplish. Casey is a fantastic installer that did all the work himself. Those a-pillars were just amazing, piano black finish and on-axis. Next time pics will be taken.

Name:	Jim 1.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	6.63 MB 
ID:	9119 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jim 2.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	4.06 MB 
ID:	9120
    Most folks around here know JimmyDee's build, and it is stealthy, dynamic and very loud. A top of the line system all the way around and it sounds fantastic, really fantastic. Unfortunately, Mr. D had to send his 12" Audiofrog to subwoofer heaven this afternoon, the wicked cold snap claiming another victim. Fun fact though: The system sounded so good, even with a huge tear in the foam surround, that no one realized until the end of the day. Kudos to a quality speaker and a quality install, to let us get away with that. Jim is a true connoisseur with experience to burn and the sound to back it up.

Name:	Rick 1.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	6.55 MB 
ID:	9121 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rick 2.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	4.22 MB 
ID:	9122 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rick 3.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	3.59 MB 
ID:	9123
    Rick showed off his pure SQ setup with some killer gear. Hybrid Clarus 15" subwoofer in a tiny sealed box totally blew my mind. An incredibly tight, clean sub to match an incredibly tight, clean installation. Zapco AP amps, Dyn Audio esotar mids and tweets plus Hybrid Clarus c7 woofs, pretty much speak for themselves. A great sound with a pin point stage was a pleasure to listen to. Rick was a great guy to meet today and will hopefully be a regular at our little gatherings.

Name:	Mike 1.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	6.23 MB 
ID:	9124 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mike 2.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	5.01 MB 
ID:	9125
    This was Mike's setup in his new VW. This was the best surprise of the day and a real wolf in sheep's clothing. Using the Dayton Audio DSP and a nice Alpine amplifier, he created a magical little setup using factory locations for his speakers that included rear fill. This setup had the rest of us a little slack jawed at how awesome a sound can be using great tuning techniques and particle gear. I also don't think it hurt that Mike is a local musician with a great ear for sound. Honestly, Mike was a great guy and I really enjoyed chatting with him this afternoon.

Name:	Travis 1.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	6.32 MB 
ID:	9126 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Travis 5.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	4.27 MB 
ID:	9127 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Travis 2.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	4.11 MB 
ID:	9128
    This is my little Frontier. 15" Fi BTL-3, Mmats HIFI6150, Crescendo S1+, DSP.3, Audio Dynamics 3000 series speakers. It is a very fun system that gets crazy loud but can play a little music too. It was fun playing it for other enthusiasts today. With a little luck this will be the first of a regular and growing get together.

I was a little apprehensive about meeting strangers and having people "judge" my system, but it was a real blast. Everyone was super nice and had lots of fun stories to share. Plus it showed that this hobby is still very much alive, in fact I feel confident that we could double the next outing no problem. A BIG thank you to Audiogal and Jim for setting up this day. Unfortunately, Audiogal couldn't join us today, but now we have a built in excuse to this all over again!!
    Thanks also to caraudiojunkies. I have spent the last couple of years trying to find locals to enjoy this hobby with and it wasn't until I joined this site that everything started to come together. It's always great meeting new friends and now I am truly pumped to get to Aggieland!!

Name:	CCAJ.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	9129 Our little logo, hope BigAl doesn't mind the blatant theft. Lol.
    Last edited by blockrocker; 02-01-2020 at 05:13 PM.

6. Back To Top    #15
    Team Knuckledragger papacueball's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Charger

Car Audio Junk-ehs

7. Back To Top    #16
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Hmm. I don't know why the pics are all sideways. My bad.

8. Back To Top    #17

This was super fun today, I damn-near made myself late for work! I really hope we do another one of these, when I have the day off so I can spend more time listening to everyone's cars. It was really cool seeing everyone's personalities come out in their installations and sound preferences. This crew may be small, but good people!
    '18 VW Golf Sportwagen 4motion 6MT. Hiby RS6 to Helix DSP.3 (Balanced Analog). Amps: Biketronics BT4210 (210 x 4 mids/tweets), Biketronics BT3725 (250 x 2 midbasses, 700 x 1 sub). Mids: Satori MW13P-4 5" (Factory Door Locations). Tweets: Bliesma T25S-6 Silk-Dome 1" (Modded Factory A-Pillar Locations). Midbasses: Dayton Designer DSA175-8 6.5" in Ported Underseat Enclosures. Subs: 2 x Scanspeak Discovery 10" in Underfloor Sealed Enclosure.

9. Back To Top    #18

Best part of the day, was when I destroyed my sub...

Actually, I think I wrecked it about a week ago, when it was wicked cold out and I was doing some rewiring work.
    Had the back hatch open for about 3 hours, then fired it up (loud) with a bitter cold rubber surround... which got a little tear in it.
    I could hear something didn't sound right with the sub. But couldn't nail it down, as it was tucked down in the seam along the basket.

From that day (and especially today), that little tear turned into about 1/3 of the rubber surround coming completely away from the basket.
    Still thumps... but not the way it should (or has). Definitely not a sealed enclosure anymore... it's pretty-much fucked.

Sucks when you wreck gear. But these things happen.

Trust me guys... next time we meet, my bottom-end will sound a lot better.
    Just bought a Hertz Mille Legend 2500.3 to replace the Audiofrog GB10D2.
    https://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/wp-c...eet_2016_A.pdf
    Last edited by JimmyDee; 02-01-2020 at 07:51 PM.
    New Car... Stock Stereo

10. Back To Top    #19
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

I'm still giggling that no one noticed what was up. It still sounded clean and clear, just not terribly loud. I can't wait to hear that Mille Legend though. Yet another excuse to get together.

11. Back To Top    #20
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

Great pictures and commentary. I'm a little jealous i must admit. I would love to attend a GTG. They all seem so far away. Folks at competitions aren't always so willing to show off their systems. I certainly get that, which is why a planned GTG would be so much better.