Thread: Loudness Feature: Angel or Demon?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    Lexus LX 470 (Land Cruiser)

Loudness Feature: Angel or Demon?

I am not the original poster of this topic but, I wanted to see what the opinions here would be because I asked this question a few months ago:

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threads/loudness-feature-angel-or-demon.424771/#post-5792686

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Loudness Feature: Angel or Demon?

Quote Originally Posted by KillerBox View Post
    I am not the original poster of this topic but, I wanted to see what the opinions here would be because I asked this question a few months ago:

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threads/loudness-feature-angel-or-demon.424771/#post-5792686

j/k

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

Hey grinder the only spam I recall today was you in the chat with all those youtube posts

4. Back To Top    #4

5. Back To Top    #5
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KillerBox View Post

The more experience I get with automotive sound systems the more common I see a loudness feature. I think they are in more places than we realize at first because a well made one is pretty discreet. I'm starting to like them in certain uses however their quality can vary wildly.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2019 Toyota Camry

I have to admit, I do like my speed compensated volume. Although the quality is not what I'd like, it has had me thinking the last year or so. I would absolutely love for an aftermarket head unit or dsp incorporate a tunable SCV loudness control. Getting the speed signal from the car is not hard. The user could set the threshold and rate of gain for overall volume change and also have a way to have broad curve changes based on the volume.

If they want to get fancy, an option to auto set the control by using a USB measurement mic plugged into the unit while doing a drive cycle would be nice.

I got so stinking tired of having to turn the volume down when stopped with my last aftermarket radio. Granted that was a Jeep Wrangler so the issue was more pronounced but I now notice in other vehicles more than i used to.
    Meh, it'll play.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

I would like to see a user customizable option. I just started trying 'low' loudness on my Kenwood. While it is nice for music and while I'm listening at mid level, I'm finding it overbearing at low volumes. I'd like the ability to cut it down based on a range of volume (maybe increments of 5?) This way I could reduce its effect at low volumes.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

I've tried the loudness feature in my Pioneer headunit. Sometimes I think it helps but most of the time I don't bother turning it on. Speed controlled volume drives me bonkers because the transition isn't smooth enough. Then again my tires are pretty quiet and there isn't that much over the road picking up noise in a single cab truck vs a car or suv. The road noise in my Grand Cherokee was LOUD. I was running stock Badyear Fortera's on it too so...
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    I have to admit, I do like my speed compensated volume. Although the quality is not what I'd like, it has had me thinking the last year or so. I would absolutely love for an aftermarket head unit or dsp incorporate a tunable SCV loudness control. Getting the speed signal from the car is not hard. The user could set the threshold and rate of gain for overall volume change and also have a way to have broad curve changes based on the volume.

If they want to get fancy, an option to auto set the control by using a USB measurement mic plugged into the unit while doing a drive cycle would be nice.

I got so stinking tired of having to turn the volume down when stopped with my last aftermarket radio. Granted that was a Jeep Wrangler so the issue was more pronounced but I now notice in other vehicles more than i used to.
    i dont see why this couldnt be a feature on iDatalink Maestro units

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Nick

Loudness feature though, i guess it depends on exactly what it is and how it works. I doubt everyones loudness feature is the same.