Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clean Slate

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

Clean Slate

Hello everyone, I'm moving over from Diyma. I currently do not have a car audio system. I traded in all three of my Chevys for two new Subarus. I got a 2020 Outback XT and my wife got a 2020 Forester. I thought I could live with the upgraded Harmon Kardon system but after a few weeks in I'm no longer impressed. I have always installed my own systems since I was 16 years old (now 52). To be honest, this is the first time I'm not excited to crawl under the dash, fish wires through the door, break panel clips, smell fiberglass for two weeks, drive around with no panels attached, etc. etc. etc. I am going a different route this time. I recently reached out to Skizer for a professional build. I'm willing to make the long drive because I can't think of a more qualified installer. He has already taken an interest without receiving a dime. He has called, texted and has done some legwork looking into the factory integration. Who else would do that? I think its time to treat myself.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Re: Clean Slate

Welcome to the best mobile audio forum on the interweb!!!
    Are you not entertained?!?!

3. Back To Top    #3

I am considering trading my 18 crosstrek in for a 2020, or more likely a 2021 Outback XT. Super excited to see what Nick does with it!!
    2018 Crosstrek Helix P-Six DSP Mk2 AF GB15 AF GB25 AF GS690 Audiomobile Evo 8(2) PPI Art Series A600.2

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Nick

I agree, time to treat yoself!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

My friend at work drives a 2019 Outback (base model) which I thought was a very nice riding and quiet vehicle. He let me drive it home one time while he borrowed my truck and I took a measurement with REW to see how the factory system measured. I remember at the time I was kind of impressed on how that graph looked for a factory tuned system. I think I still have it somewhere and could post it if you want later on. I’m sure you’re in good hands with Nick. He’s helped me out in the past as well without even asking for anything in return and I’ve met Mullings (his installer) a few times who I view as a great guy always willing to stop what he’s doing to help out. Ive seen his work also and it is top notch work and I can tell he takes pride in what he does.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Stycker View Post
    I have always installed my own systems since I was 16 years old (now 52). To be honest, this is the first time I'm not excited to crawl under the dash, fish wires through the door, break panel clips, smell fiberglass for two weeks, drive around with no panels attached, etc. etc. etc. I am going a different route this time. I recently reached out to Skizer for a professional build.
    Welcome!

I just went through the same thing you are talking about... had always done my own work, but at 59 and having already had one spinal surgery last year, I decided the best thing was to pay somebody and retain my health and sanity! Nick does outstanding work, you are in good hands. Make sure and post a build log!

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

This is my 5th Subaru. My favorite was a 2005 Legacy GT wagon. I lowered it and did stage 2 engine and exhaust work. That was also my first attemp at sound quality. That was my first DSP. A RF 360.3 very buggy software. That was the car I cut my teeth on.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

Quote Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
    My friend at work drives a 2019 Outback (base model) which I thought was a very nice riding and quiet vehicle. He let me drive it home one time while he borrowed my truck and I took a measurement with REW to see how the factory system measured. I remember at the time I was kind of impressed on how that graph looked for a factory tuned system. I think I still have it somewhere and could post it if you want later on. I’m sure you’re in good hands with Nick. He’s helped me out in the past as well without even asking for anything in return and I’ve met Mullings (his installer) a few times who I view as a great guy always willing to stop what he’s doing to help out. Ive seen his work also and it is top notch work and I can tell he takes pride in what he does.
    No need to post those results JC. I think we are dealing with a different animal here. I'm not sure the base model has an amp. The system does sound pretty good for factory though. So much so that I was actually considering leaving it alone. I am afflicted with a car stereo disease however. A warning to all. "Stay off these forums cause its very contagious."

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

Quote Originally Posted by mumbles View Post
    Welcome!

I just went through the same thing you are talking about... had always done my own work, but at 59 and having already had one spinal surgery last year, I decided the best thing was to pay somebody and retain my health and sanity! Nick does outstanding work, you are in good hands. Make sure and post a build log!
    Not to mention its cold outside. I have a detached garage with two 220 volt heaters. The last time I worked on my car in the winter I had an $800.00 electric bill. So much for saving money Diy.