Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Electrical Crossover and Acoustical Response

1. Back To Top    #71
    Real Name
    Nick

Re: Electrical Crossover and Acoustical Response

The more i think about it, i really wish my honda civic could drive like a GT2RS. But it only allows me to hit a very limited top speed and 0-60 time, never mind the lack of handling.

See what i mean? be realistic

2. Back To Top    #72

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    the urc.3 is 55 dollars and only has 2 pots and a button. If you want rear attenuation, augmented bass parameter changes, tone controls, eq, shelf filters, etc (all the things the director does, and for 55 dollars via 2 pots and a single botton)... then yeah. you are absolutely unreasonable. in every URC.3 setup ive done its either been main volume and sub volume, or digital/hec volume and sub. the only time i can picture getting rid of sub volume is if you already have a separate gain knob for your sub amp. but then your just getting a bit ridiculous on the knobs. If you want all of this your dash is going to look like you have one of those typical half din in-dash 7 band eq's lol. Just get a director or wifi module.

seriously, reading stuff this crazy reminds me that i need to step away from forums
    This has absolutely nothing to do with the cost or design of the controller - just additional software settings for the controller.... I'm not talking about altering the controller in any way whatsoever - just adding more software settings for what the knobs on the URC actually adjust. It's called giving users more flexibility without adding additional cost. Helix is not an "inexpensive" brand - it's a device that users except a lot from - this would be a simple software-only addition to make things more flexible for their customers. Not everyone uses these devices the same way.

For the record, I already have a Helix wifi adapter that costs way too much for what it is, but even that (or the even more expensive Director) doesn't have the type of capabilities that I'm talking about anyway. They allow tone control, volume and preset switching - none of the other things I mentioned (if there is a way to adjust shelf filters, individual EQ bands, augmented bass processing and rear attenuation via the wifi adapter, I have not seen it). No desire for a director at all - don't want yet another "add-on" touchscreen device - my car already has a perfectly-capable (not to mention bigger and better) one built-in - what would *really* be useful is if their Android wifi-module app was AndroidAuto-compatible so that I didn't need an expensive, add-on 2.8" touchscreen at all - could use my existing OEM touchscreen as a "director" that way (trying to use the Android app while phone is connected via AndroidAuto and in my console isn't very useful). :-) You talk about having two separate knobs (sub bass knob and URC, for example) as being "too much", but somehow having a bulky director is not??

I don't see how requesting more software settings for an existing device is "absolutely unreasonable" - at all.

We are obviously on two very different pages on this one!

3. Back To Top    #73
    Real Name
    Tim
    Vehicle
    2016 Colorado Crew

If you want rear attenuation, augmented bass parameter changes, tone controls, eq, shelf filters, etc

Is this true for only ACO platform Directors? I have a Director for a Helix Pro 2, as for as I know, it will not due EQ, rear attenuation, or augmented bass parameters. When the tone controls are enabled, its only for 2 Freq's, 500hz and 1000hz boost/cut.(I'm guessing the 500&1000 are the Shelf filters)

Is there a link on any forum that describes How to use all the Director features?
    Last edited by Brego; 02-02-2020 at 10:49 PM.

4. Back To Top    #74
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    Helix is not an "inexpensive" brand...
    We are obviously on two very different pages on this one!
    We definitely are. I've noticed that you tend to want to have your cake and to eat it too. You're not going to like me saying this, but if want the premium stuff, you gotta pay for it. Thats a basic fact of life. This is kinda like someone coming to me and saying they want custom kicks for midbass drivers in a car where theres no room for them because i might have the capability to pull it off, but they only have the budget for the oem door mounting. Then when i say no, you say "but come on man, you're not cheap and i think you can do it". Well yeah, but no.

That said, you should not be touching the augmented bass processing, eq bands, etc when you're finished tuning. The only thing you should need is something to help adjust the low end. If you find yourself needing more, you're doing it wrong. very wrong.

actually, fuck... yes you absolutely can change this. You have the wifi module. Save different presets! if you need more than a few presets, let alone the 10 presets it can do for different sound settings then what i said just above is even more true

Quote Originally Posted by Brego View Post
    Is this true for only ACO platform Directors? I have a Director for a Helix Pro 2, as for as I know, it will not due EQ, rear attenuation, or augmented bass parameters. When the tone controls are enabled, its only for 2 Freq's, 500hz and 1000hz boost/cut.(I'm guessing the 500&1000 are the Shelf filters)

Is there a link on any forum that describes How to use all the Director features?
    Well the pro mk2 doesnt have the aco features, so there is no accessing those. The rear attenuation might be there, but im not sure. As far as shelf filters, the frequencies are adjustable. select where it says frequency and turn the knob. Maybe you have an older firmaware on the dsp and director, but i dont ever remember a time when tone controls were locked.

5. Back To Top    #75
    Real Name
    Tim
    Vehicle
    2016 Colorado Crew

I've noticed that you tend to want to have your cake and to eat it too. You're not going to like me saying this, but if want the premium stuff, you gotta pay for it. Thats a basic fact of life.
    Totally agree with you Skizer…. It’s just Business, …. Add-ons and extra features just plain ‘ol cost more.. its how a business works. If you want to have your cake and to eat it too, well just settle on a much lower standard, much lower quality, and a Business that won't be around to uphold a warranty or sales guarantee. Subscription based Business model like Directv has a re-accruing monthly income, doesn’t need add-ons nearly as much, (but, if ya want more channels, pay for them) it has the guaranteed monthly-yearly revenue coming into the business. Product based & Labor based Business Does NOT have that guaranteed monthly revenue, and needs to find ways to generate more income from its products/services…. Its just good logical business sense to charge for the add-ons, features, and skilled attributes, to keep a business moving forward, to stay in business and to be profitable. It's not only the Germans who use the add-ons to stay in business, just about all Product(non-subscription) based business has to do it. It’s the only way to keep a business alive.
    Last edited by Brego; 02-03-2020 at 12:49 AM.

6. Back To Top    #76
    Real Name
    Nick

I just had a very lengthy reply typed out that I went to copy to my phones clipboard to see if I wanted to still post it in the morning, and accidentally deleted it. Great. Probably for the better anyway.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

7. Back To Top    #77

The more i think about it, i really wish my honda civic could drive like a GT2RS. But it only allows me to hit a very limited top speed and 0-60 time, never mind the lack of handling.

See what i mean? be realistic
    I don't know why you keep bringing up this kind of analogy. I bought a Helix DSP.3 - I'm not asking for DSP Ultra performance from my DSP.3. I simply mentioned a few *software* features that I wish they had for the URC remote controls. Geez - you are acting like I asked them to re-engineer the DSP.3 hardware for Christs sake!

I've noticed that you tend to want to have your cake and to eat it too.
    Again, please explain? I paid for my DSP.3 just like everyone else. Just because I said "I wish the Helix did...." doesn't mean that I want my cake and eat it too... It's called customer feedback. Helix makes improvements to their software all of the time based on customer feedback. We're talking simple software settings here... I've noticed that every time someone mentions something that they don't like about a Helix DSP (hardware or software), you get all defensive. As good as the Helix DSP's are, they are not perfect (there is no perfect product!) - there is *always* room for improvements.

You're not going to like me saying this, but if want the premium stuff, you gotta pay for it.
    Here we go again - I *did* pay for premium stuff - that is exactly my point! :-) When you pay for premium stuff, you expect it to be above and beyond other "lesser" products. Again, not sure why you keep acting like I want a DSP Ultra for the price of a DSP.3??? We're talking *simple* software change "wants" - that's it!

That said, you should not be touching the augmented bass processing, eq bands, etc when you're finished tuning. The only thing you should need is something to help adjust the low end. If you find yourself needing more, you're doing it wrong. very wrong.
    Every system is different - and who said I was going to use these features after I finished tuning? Maybe the usefulness of the features I mentioned are not clear to you, but just as a "for example" - while fine-tuning your system, those features could be useful for adjusting certain aspects of your tune "by ear" while driving. Obviously, your tune is going to sound different while sitting in the garage with the car off than it will when doing 70mhp down the highway. Being able to adjust some of those settings quickly and easily while driving would be very useful while fine-tuning things, IMO. That is the beauty of options - you can choose to use them or not. There are many different ways to accomplish things - just becuase *you* do (or don't do) something one way, doesn't mean that it's "wrong" if someone else does it differently.

actually, fuck... yes you absolutely can change this. You have the wifi module. Save different presets! if you need more than a few presets, let alone the 10 presets it can do for different sound settings then what i said just above is even more true
    Again, I've found that the wifi app isn't very useful when using AndroidAuto - unless, of course, they made the app AndroidAuto-compatible like i mentioned earlier - then I could adjust the settings right on my cars touchscreen.
    But regardless, this still doesn't accomplish one of the main use cases for what I'm talking about since I may not know what I want the settings to be at that point - which is the whole point of being able to adjust them quickly and easily - to help fine tune them. Presets are not the answer.

Look - AF makes improvements to their software all of the time. Just recently they added "auto sorting" to the EQ bands, for example - most likely based on customer feedback. I simply stated that I wish there were more *software* options for the URC remotes - that's all. Pretty simple thing. Not sure why you are all bent out of shape becuase a customer wants something that YOU don't. Geez...

Well the pro mk2 doesnt have the aco features, so there is no accessing those. The rear attenuation might be there, but im not sure. As far as shelf filters, the frequencies are adjustable. select where it says frequency and turn the knob. Maybe you have an older firmaware on the dsp and director, but i dont ever remember a time when tone controls were locked.
    Do the Tone controls *really* use shelf filters or do they use regular parametric EQ filters (which would effect the response differently)? I was under the impression that they used regular parametric EQ bands for the tone adjustments - not shelf filters?

8. Back To Top    #78
    Real Name
    Peter
    Vehicle
    Ford Mustang GT Premium

Hmmm... i really thought i wont touch my DSP again after setting everything up, but this thread makes me wonder if i can do it better than before.....
    Tempting... very tempting....
    SYNC3 headunit
    Mosconi Pico 8/10 DSP
    Mosconi D2 500.1
    Gladen Zero Pro 165.3 DC
    JL Audio 10w3v3 in custom enclosure (Blueprint by Mark @Caraudiofabrication)