Thread: Electrical Crossover and Acoustical Response

1. Back To Top    #31
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Re: Electrical Crossover and Acoustical Response

Quote Originally Posted by metanium View Post
    Was this at one of the Brown-EQ's (named for the Mrs's brownies) at Seals house? I went to a couple of them there...what was a blast. Wish somebody would throw together a DFW-area GTG like that again!
    Yup, and you won a very nice Focal component set the day I'm talking about too.

And as for this thread...this changes everything for how I'm gonna go about my next tune. I've learned a lot over the past year and my tunes keep getting better and better with each new tune.
    Last edited by Hillbilly SQ; 01-30-2020 at 04:18 PM.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

2. Back To Top    #32
    Real Name
    Tim
    Vehicle
    2016 Colorado Crew

The thing I like most about this new tuning method, is not only how deeper the upper Mid-Range & Tweets sound, its that the harshness is gone. The instruments and cymbals have a remarkable stronger and cleaner presence. The level of the singer’s voice matches the level of the music sooo much better.

Settings for creating the Speaker House Curves

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jazzi-House-Curve.JPG 
Views:	254 
Size:	235.1 KB 
ID:	9090
    (hope this is large enough to see)

I have tuned where I used the above setting in my DSP. I always thought the electrical crossover and acoustical crossovers had to match, and I always had a harsh system.

When I changed my Xo’s from LR/24 to LR12 in my DSP and started taking measurements, I tuned to the LR/24 Speaker Curves. I ended up with these setting for my Xo’s for Tweet & Mid-Range…. I have not tuned my Mid-Base & Sub yet. It sounds so good, I don’t wanna muck it up… but I will tune it soon.

DSP settings
    Left Front Tweet LR/12 HP=4929, Right front Tweet LR/12 HP=4076
    Left Front Mid-Range LR/12 LP=3707, HP=440, Right Front Mid-Range LR/12 LP=3559, HP=423
    Left Front Mid-Base LR/12 LP=327, LR/24 HP=75, Right Front Mid-Base LR/12 LP=327, LR/24 HP=75

Subs LR/24 LP=75, LR/12 HP=34

The Crossover settings I’m using for my GB10’s & GB25’s are well within their playable limits at a 12db slope, so I don’t have to worry about low freq’s mucking them up.

3. Back To Top    #33

Quote Originally Posted by Brego View Post
    Would it be possible to post the link here... I'd love to read that thread.....
    Sure - here is a link to the thread:

https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/show...-3-help-thread

4. Back To Top    #34
    Real Name
    Tim
    Vehicle
    2016 Colorado Crew

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    Sure - here is a link to the thread:

https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/show...-3-help-thread
    That's a really good thread. Thanks for posting! I wish I had read that before opening up this thread and junking up this place with repetitive questions. SkizeR really nails what this thread is all about on page 6 & 7. Dammm thats gotta drive him crazy to answer the same questions over and over....
    Last edited by Brego; 01-30-2020 at 11:31 PM.

5. Back To Top    #35
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

... all the things ...
    Oh my gods, yes! So yes!
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

6. Back To Top    #36

Just to try and "illustrate" this with a few pictures, here are two pictures of my Right Door midbass response. The acoustical crossover I'm going for is 65hz/500hz LR24.

Here is how the response matches the target curve with electrical crossovers set to 65hz/500hz LR24:

And here is how the response matches the target curve with electrical crossovers set to 55hz (LR24) and 725hz (LR36):

So to make the response match the curve at and around the 500hz acoustical crossover I ultimately want, I would need to apply *signifcant* boost around the 500hz crossover area if I used electrical crossover settings that match the acoustical crossover that I want.

But by increasing the electrical crossover frequency from 500hz to 725hz - and using a 36dB LR slope instead of a 24dB LR slope, I can basically avoid the boost completely. By lowering the lower crossover value, I can also get the lower crossover area to match a lot better (I don't EQ to hit the target curve on the low end, I let it roll off naturally, but it gets a lot closer by using a 55hz xover freq instead of 75hz crossover freq on the low end as well).

I just pulled up old pictures, so the overall levels aren't exact, but you get the picture - use whatever electrical xover values that get you closest to your target acoustical xovers!.

7. Back To Top    #37
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Wouldn't shaping the acoustical phase with eq accomplish the same thing if electrical crossovers were just in the wrong spot with each position?
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

8. Back To Top    #38
    Real Name
    Nick

What speaker could you possibly have, and installed how that you are crossing at 55hz to 750 hz?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

9. Back To Top    #39
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    Wouldn't shaping the acoustical phase with eq accomplish the same thing if electrical crossovers were just in the wrong spot with each position?
    Yes, but this is usually less work

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

10. Back To Top    #40
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

And as long as the cross points are 12db or 24db down at one octave above and/or below where it starts to roll off you're good to go? Still wrapping my brain around this but think I about got it...