Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Electrical Crossover and Acoustical Response

1. Back To Top    #21
    Real Name
    Nick

Re: Electrical Crossover and Acoustical Response

the only thing that matters about the "electrical crossover" is protecting the speakers from signal that is too low in frequency for them to handle. Just becuase your response reads that a tweeter is crossing over at 2k on the rta, and your crossover in the dsp software shows 1k, those tweeters are still seeing and playing that 1k signal.

2. Back To Top    #22
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    What about for example on a pair of midranges where they act different around the intended cross points? Can one be at 24db for example and one at 18 or 12? What about mixing Linkwitz Riley and Butterworth slopes? I'm personally not a fan of odd order electrical slopes but probably more of a superstition than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Zazzi View Post
    You saw the light my friend! Very cool!

This is a great example of if you get the acoustic response to match the targets then it doesn't matter if you "underlap" the electrical filters or whatever. Asymmetric and non-conventional filters are not the enemy! I need to make tshirts or something.
    here ya go

3. Back To Top    #23
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

With this knowledge I think my next tune after I finish my upcoming build will sound way better. I was keeping them all LW 24 as I thought electrical crossover mattered. Now I'll focus on the acoustical crossover. Find the electrical crossover that best relates to a LW 24 acoustical crossover and EQ the curve from there if need be.

Question:
    Should the acoustical crossover of the left side and right side be the same frequency?

4. Back To Top    #24
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by jrwalte View Post
    Question:
    Should the acoustical crossover of the left side and right side be the same frequency?
    Do you mean acoustical or electrical? If acoustical, then yes right and left should match. If electrical then they need to be whatever gets each speaker to match the acoustical.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

5. Back To Top    #25
    Real Name
    Tim
    Vehicle
    2016 Colorado Crew

With this knowledge I think my next tune after I finish my upcoming build will sound way better. I was keeping them all LW 24 as I thought electrical crossover mattered. Now I'll focus on the acoustical crossover. Find the electrical crossover that best relates to a LW 24 acoustical crossover and EQ the curve from there if need be.

Question:
    Is your question about the Left side .vs. the Right side of your car, or the left down-slope .vs. the right down-slope, or the
    HP down-slope of your tweeter .vs. the LP down-slope of your Mid-Range?

6. Back To Top    #26

Yeah, I actually just learned about this no too long ago in another thread here. I was keeping all electrical crossover slopes the same as the acoustical slope - thinking that was the right way to do it - but that caused me to need a 6dB boost near the crossover area on one of my midbass speakers (and I still couldn't hit the slope just right) - and I had no flexibility with my acoustical crossover freq because of the huge dip near the crossover. So now I set the electrical crossover freq higher on that midbass channel and use a 36dB slope, which makes it so I don't need the huge boost near the crossover freq anymore.

Made things *so* much easier once I understood that the electrical crossover settings really don't matter as long as you get the acoustical crossover that you want.

The amount I have learned about audio system tuning over the past year or so from these forums is insane. Never even seen a DSP a year ago and now I'm tuning my Helix DSP like it's nothing. :-) I still have a lot to learn, but I've learned *so* much already.

Still don't understand allpass filters though.... :-) That is the next item I need to dig into.

Thank you to everyone on these forums that help us noobs out each and every day - it truly is appreciated.

7. Back To Top    #27
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

It's in relation to each acoustical crossover per speaker on each side. So if left mid highpass naturally rolls off best for an acoustical crossover of 300, but the right is 350, should I make both acoustical crossovers at 350 or make left 300 and right 350.

8. Back To Top    #28
    Real Name
    Tim
    Vehicle
    2016 Colorado Crew

It's in relation to each acoustical crossover per speaker on each side. So if left mid highpass naturally rolls off best for an acoustical crossover of 300, but the right is 350, should I make both acoustical crossovers at 350 or make left 300 and right 350.
    I would make both sides at 350. One main goal is to have each side, each pair of speakers match perfectly.

9. Back To Top    #29
    Real Name
    Tim
    Vehicle
    2016 Colorado Crew

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    Yeah, I actually just learned about this no too long ago in another thread here..

Would it be possible to post the link here... I'd love to read that thread.....

10. Back To Top    #30
    Real Name
    Ross
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Tundra

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    So am I reading this right? The electrical crossover doesn't matter as long as the acoustical crossover is where it needs to be? As in you don't need the electrical crossover and acoustical crossovers to match as long as the acoustical crossover is good?

I remember back in 2008 Nick Wingate (everyone should know who he is) got in my truck and almost threw up when he heard about 5 seconds of it. He told me my acoustical phasing was off really bad and started going to town with the crossovers in my Alpine 9833. That was a very popular way to go active back when a standalone processor was still unobtanium for most budgets. He got acoustical phasing lined out best he could and bailed out. He also had me make adjustments with my PG tld66 linedriver that I had in there for independent level control that couldn't be done with the headunit or amps. Then Mark Eldridge and David Seal did some eq work. That truck sounded AWESOME for what it was after those three were done with it. Our very own Jorge (doiter) was there too. I don't think Nick Wingate was nearly as concerned about the electrical crossover as he was the acoustical crossover. I keep going back to what he was telling me when I think about acoustical slope vs electrical slope and phase.
    Was this at one of the Brown-EQ's (named for the Mrs's brownies) at Seals house? I went to a couple of them there...what was a blast. Wish somebody would throw together a DFW-area GTG like that again!
    AVH2300NEX - Helix DSP Mini - RF Punch 200x2/Punch 240x4/Power T750x1bd - AudioFrog GB10,25,60 & GB12D2