Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Electrical Crossover and Acoustical Response

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Tim
    Vehicle
    2016 Colorado Crew

Electrical Crossover and Acoustical Response

I used LR/24 in Jazzi's tuning companion for REW when I created my House Speaker Curves. I have LR/12 Crossovers set in my Helix DSP,... I tuned to the LR/24 House Curve using REW. So, the Electrical XO's are at LR/12 in the DSP, but the Acoustical Speaker curve and XO's are line up really nice to LR/24 in the 'Overlays' window in REW. So, my question is... should I flip the Phase on Tweets & Mid-Base like the 'tuning companion' excel suggest, or should I NOT flip because the Acoustical's are lined up at LR/24? (front 3-way + Sub)

Do we swap polarity/invert according to the electronic crossover or the acoustic crossover?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Nick

Re: Electrical Crossover and Acoustical Response

Quote Originally Posted by Brego View Post
    I used LR/24 in Jazzi's tuning companion for REW when I created my House Speaker Curves. I have LR/12 Crossovers set in my Helix DSP,... I tuned to the LR/24 House Curve using REW. So, the Electrical XO's are at LR/12 in the DSP, but the Acoustical Speaker curve and XO's are line up really nice to LR/24 in the 'Overlays' window in REW. So, my question is... should I flip the Phase on Tweets & Mid-Base like the 'tuning companion' excel suggest, or should I NOT flip because the Acoustical's are lined up at LR/24? (front 3-way + Sub)

Do we swap polarity/invert according to the electronic crossover or the acoustic crossover?
    Phase changes based on the acoustic response. So in this case, leave it. 24db and 24db mating up combines to a 360 degree (aka 0 degree) phase shift

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Tim
    Vehicle
    2016 Colorado Crew

Thanks for the response, but I'm not understanding your answer. you stated "So in this case, leave it."... so do you mean leave it flipped/inverted or NOT flipped/NOT inverted?

You said "24db and 24db mating up combines to a 360 degree (aka 0 degree) phase shift", but I'm using 12db and 24db. I EQ'ed to a Speaker Curve that was created using a LR/24, but have LR/12 XO settings in the DSP...

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

You have 12db electrical slopes and 24db acoustical slopes? Am I reading that correctly?
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

5. Back To Top    #5

Why not just use 24dB slopes everywhere to make it easy? :-)

6. Back To Top    #6

Try it both ways and let us know if it changes anything...

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Brego View Post
    Thanks for the response, but I'm not understanding your answer. you stated "So in this case, leave it."... so do you mean leave it flipped/inverted or NOT flipped/NOT inverted?

You said "24db and 24db mating up combines to a 360 degree (aka 0 degree) phase shift", but I'm using 12db and 24db. I EQ'ed to a Speaker Curve that was created using a LR/24, but have LR/12 XO settings in the DSP...
    By "leave it" I mean dont flip phase on anything. If you're measuring 24db slopes, each one has a 180 degree phase shift (one leads and one lags) at the crossover point. Aim for a 24db acoustic rolloff on every crossover and that will leave everything in phase. The electrical settings do not matter, so long as the speakers are safe from low frequency content

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Tim
    Vehicle
    2016 Colorado Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    You have 12db electrical slopes and 24db acoustical slopes? Am I reading that correctly?
    Yes.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Tim
    Vehicle
    2016 Colorado Crew

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    Why not just use 24dB slopes everywhere to make it easy? :-)
    I have... for years I have tried LR24, to be honest, its the only slope I've every used until just a few days ago, when I decided to try LR/12's just for the hell of it...

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Tim
    Vehicle
    2016 Colorado Crew

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    By "leave it" I mean dont flip phase on anything. If you're measuring 24db slopes, each one has a 180 degree phase shift (one leads and one lags) at the crossover point. Aim for a 24db acoustic rolloff on every crossover and that will leave everything in phase. The electrical settings do not matter, so long as the speakers are safe from low frequency content

oh Thanks so much!

I sounds much better with no phase inversion. When I invert the phase, I lose a lot of the stage focus, but it will sound wider across the windshield, kinda like the music has more hard-left & hard-right music in its recording.