Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2017 Porsche Macan GTS - SQ install

1. Back To Top    #31

Re: 2017 Porsche Macan GTS - SQ install

What's with the baffle? is it a camera trick, looks like stacked MDF?

when I make these kinds of enclosures, I put each layer, as I assemble, on the table router and flush it up. Bonus points for inside and outside. That way, it's smooth, and ready for filler-primer to edge seal and prep for paint.

I think it would make it look "more finished" next time.

Another tip I like to use is the roundover bit to knock down the edges all around. small radius is OK. Reason being, I find the edges for painted surfaces wear quick. But roundovers are more durable and forgiving than a hard edge. Another consideration if you ever fix up the front baffle.

Another idea, if you can't flatted the front, is to fake it. You can cut out a facia out of 1/4" MDF and plaster it on the baffle. SHould be OK. Make the sub cutout larger than the OD and it will "countersink" the subwoofer, though noone will really see that. Then you fill the edges to 100% smoothness with bodyfiller, then re-paint. That would flatten up that baffle without spending 5 hours with the belt sander trying to get it flat.

2. Back To Top    #32
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by phroenips View Post
    Thanks everyone! Pro-tip to anyone wanting to paint anything red (applies to yellow too): Be absolutely sure to do a coat of primer first! I did do that, but had a section that I needed to sand down, to knock off some excess glue residue. That re-exposed the raw MDF, and I was too lazy to re-prime that section. It literally took another 5 coats to cover it up

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with it. In case it's not clear from earlier posts, it's a single 10TW3 firing toward the rear. Same orientation as the OEM Bose subwoofer, mine is just, ahem, slightly larger.

The enclosure is oversized (around 0.6 cu ft vs the specified 0.5 cu ft), which allows for more low-end extension and grunt, which I like, and it gets loud enough for me. I typically have the sub volume turned down about 4dB from max available
    Gotta love that. I did / do the same thing. My enclosure is oversized. I use my DSP to provide an appropriate subsonic filter. My bass peaks at about 30Hz at 116dB and is -6dB down at 20Hz. I like it.

Ge0
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose

3. Back To Top    #33
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

I posted in the wrong thread

Ge0
    Last edited by Ge0; 10-15-2020 at 02:51 PM.

4. Back To Top    #34
    Real Name
    Scott
    Vehicle
    2005 Toyota 4Runner; 2019 Porsche Cayman GTS

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    What's with the baffle? is it a camera trick, looks like stacked MDF?

when I make these kinds of enclosures, I put each layer, as I assemble, on the table router and flush it up. Bonus points for inside and outside. That way, it's smooth, and ready for filler-primer to edge seal and prep for paint.

I think it would make it look "more finished" next time.

Another tip I like to use is the roundover bit to knock down the edges all around. small radius is OK. Reason being, I find the edges for painted surfaces wear quick. But roundovers are more durable and forgiving than a hard edge. Another consideration if you ever fix up the front baffle.

Another idea, if you can't flatted the front, is to fake it. You can cut out a facia out of 1/4" MDF and plaster it on the baffle. SHould be OK. Make the sub cutout larger than the OD and it will "countersink" the subwoofer, though noone will really see that. Then you fill the edges to 100% smoothness with bodyfiller, then re-paint. That would flatten up that baffle without spending 5 hours with the belt sander trying to get it flat.
    Yeah, it's stacked MDF, and I knew about the trick to flush trim each layer as I go, but this was my first time doing it, and almost each layer ended up being a different shape entirely, so I made each layer separately for ease of fabrication. I later glued it all together and clamped it. Thought I got them all lined up well, but obviously not perfectly. Since it's hidden all the time, I didn't bother to make it look better. Honestly, in hindsight, it would have been quicker and easier to just fiberglass it.

5. Back To Top    #35

Can use a floating router to smooth it, but really is not a big deal since it's in the trunk.

6. Back To Top    #36
    Real Name
    Dustin

It won't be the fastest process, but I used an orbital sander to smooth out the variations and glue on my stack fab enclosures. I think it turned out pretty nice, but I still haven't put any coating on them. I would link to photobucket pictures, but that stupid site has decided that those images are no longer visible, even by me.
    New Truck | No System
    2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion

7. Back To Top    #37
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by rton20s View Post
    It won't be the fastest process, but I used an orbital sander to smooth out the variations and glue on my stack fab enclosures. I think it turned out pretty nice, but I still haven't put any coating on them. I would link to photobucket pictures, but that stupid site has decided that those images are no longer visible, even by me.
    Well, you could pay Photobucket $9.00 a month to get your photos back. NOT!!!

8. Back To Top    #38
    Real Name
    Dustin

Quote Originally Posted by Ge0 View Post
    Well, you could pay Photobucket $9.00 a month to get your photos back. NOT!!!
    Not to hijack, but the current acct is a pay acct, and it limits me to 250 photos. At this point, I am ready to drop it all together.
    New Truck | No System
    2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion