Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Illusion Audio Carbon C8-W

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    BMW 335i E92, BMW X6 F16, 2000 LandCruiser

New Illusion Audio Carbon C8-W

Illusion Audio has started shipping a new version of the Carbon C8 Midbass Driver.

https://www.dowelectronics.com/illus...iver-each-c8-w

I had planned on using Jenhert XE200 8” drivers for my under-seat upgrade but they are no longer available, at least in the USA.

My searches kept coming up with the Audio Development W800NEO and the Illusion Audio C8 as top performers, even though I could find few examples in BMWs' under-seat location other than JimmyDee's W800NEO. As luck would have it a new version of the C8 was just released and arrived the day I dropped my car off for installation. I don't have the specifications but understand both the flange and depth are about 1/4" smaller. The basket is different and the mounting holes are no longer recessed. They have also configured the binding posts inside the basket so they don't add depth to the installation.

Musicar Northwest crafted a beautiful adapter ring and dropped it in and I have a few hours of listening so far. Hard for me to tell how the C8 is performing since it is now tuned as part of an 8-speaker front stage, plus the rear stage and subwoofer, but overall the system sounds fantastic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Illusion_Audio_C8_5.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	9065   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Illusion_Audio_C8_6.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	9066   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Illusion_Audio_C8_7.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	9067   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Illusion_Audio_C8_8.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	9068  
    BMW 335i E92 Morel Hybrid 402, Jehnert XE200, JL 12W3v3-4, Twk 88, JL XD500/3 and XD600/6
    BMW X6 F16, Helix SDMI25 -> Helix DSP Ultra, Amps, MMats HiFi-6150D & 4250D, Arc Audio KS125.4 Mini. Front Stage Dyn Esotar 430, Esotec MD 102, Illusion Audio C8. Rear Stage, Morel Hybrid 402, Rear pillars OEM. Sub, ScanSpeak Rev 28W.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Ross
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Tundra

Re: New Illusion Audio Carbon C8-W

I'm glad to see this. I was really thinking Illusion Audio was no longer around. It seems like they took a hiatus over the past year or so. I heard that they manufacturer may have had a significant death in the family that disrupted their operation, but don't know if that was ever confirmed or not.

I've ran numerous Illusion drivers in the past and think they represent some of the upper-end of forward-thinking car audio drivers.
    AVH2300NEX - Helix DSP Mini - RF Punch 200x2/Punch 240x4/Power T750x1bd - AudioFrog GB10,25,60 & GB12D2

3. Back To Top    #3

Those are nice.
    The C8 has always been regarded as a 'top performer', so there's no doubt you will be pleased with them.

It's hard to tell how good they sound, when you just have them singled-out...
    Playing frequencies from 80Hz to 200Hz usually sounds like crap, on their own.
    However, blended with the E430's and MD102 tweeters... I bet they sound amazing!
    New Car... Stock Stereo

4. Back To Top    #4

looks like they tapered it a bit more but increased overall depth. thankfully moved the terminals to a spot that wasn't so intrusive/obstructive.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midway View Post
    even though I could find few examples in BMWs' under-seat location other than JimmyDee's W800NEO.
    Have you seen the Rockford T3-BMW-SUB ? It looks like it should fit your E92 and has very similar specs to the C8 with a drop-in replacement fit. It is part of the Power line which is the highest tier of gear, and even has a motor-in-front design too.

I'm really curious what folks think about it.

https://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/t3-bmw-sub/

Attachment 9078
    Attachment 9079

full disclosure I work at Rockford, but I'm not a sales guy and I'm only curious
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Dustin

Interesting. The specs on the DOW site look identical to the old specs, so I wonder if they don't have the updated information yet. They also appear to be using a picture of the old C6-W.

In terms of design, it appears that they took some cues from the C3 / C3CX. Though those drivers only have a 6 spoke basket, not 8. All of the changes seem like they are going to aid in making installation easier. I know one of the biggest complaints I heard on the old design was flange diameter.

I look forward to seeing the new specs and getting feedback from the people that get them installed.
    New Truck | No System
    2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    BMW 335i E92, BMW X6 F16, 2000 LandCruiser

That ship has sailed, I already have Jehnerts in my E92 and now C8's in my F16.

Those Rockfords look just like the OEM speakers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Zazzi View Post
    Have you seen the Rockford T3-BMW-SUB ? It looks like it should fit your E92 and has very similar specs to the C8 with a drop-in replacement fit. It is part of the Power line which is the highest tier of gear, and even has a motor-in-front design too.

Attachment 9078
    Attachment 9079

full disclosure I work at Rockford, but I'm not a sales guy and I'm only curious
    BMW 335i E92 Morel Hybrid 402, Jehnert XE200, JL 12W3v3-4, Twk 88, JL XD500/3 and XD600/6
    BMW X6 F16, Helix SDMI25 -> Helix DSP Ultra, Amps, MMats HiFi-6150D & 4250D, Arc Audio KS125.4 Mini. Front Stage Dyn Esotar 430, Esotec MD 102, Illusion Audio C8. Rear Stage, Morel Hybrid 402, Rear pillars OEM. Sub, ScanSpeak Rev 28W.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Zazzi View Post

Attachment 9078
    Attachment 9079

Klippel verified with an Xmax of 7mm? Wonder if this is true...

Kelvin

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

I’m guessing yes since Rockford has a klippel
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Dustin

Quote Originally Posted by subwoofery View Post
    Klippel verified with an Xmax of 7mm? Wonder if this is true...

Kelvin
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    I’m guessing yes since Rockford has a klippel
    ^^^This^^^

I do trust Rockford's T/S parameters and xmax specs based on the fact that they do have the Klippel.
    New Truck | No System
    2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion