Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: REW and System Baseline Tune Help

1. Back To Top    #31
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Re: REW and System Baseline Tune Help

This sounds like you are trying to overcomplicate something...If the phase issues are caused by reflections that you do not have control over, then just do the following:

Tune to your curve, then measure the speakers in pairs. If you need to adjust levels, do so in pairs. If your midbass are 3db higher than your mids/tweets, adjust both mids/tweets equally +3db (to keep their side to side level the same difference). Similar if you adjust your midbass. If it is tuned flat, it is tuned flat...it doesn't really matter what target level.

Plenty of people don't even care about target level and just tune each speaker the best, then adjust levels to match after they tune. That order doesn't really matter.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

2. Back To Top    #32
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Re: REW and System Baseline Tune Help

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    So I have a stupid question about tuning to a target curve... I've always noticed that my measured frequency response always came out different than the target curve I was tuning to and never understood why. However, when I found that I was getting ~6dB increase when both midbass speakers play and only about a ~3dB increase when both mids/tweeters play (2-way dash speakers), then it made sense. :-)
    Well that's interesting .... I'm going to look for that next time I tune something. Neat observation.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    Just curious how others handle this since the level of summation for left/right speaker pairs seems to be different depending on the specific speaker and frequencies it plays (at least in my car).
    I was thinking this might be why. When you make a measurement by moving the microphone around a bit, the phase between two speakers is relatively stable since the lower frequencies have longer wavelengths. The higher frequencies have shorter wavelengths and so the phase interaction between two speakers as you move the microphone around becomes more random.

Two coherent sources sum together at +6dB (lower frequencies in this example)
    Two random sources sum together at +3dB (higher frequencies in this example)

At least, it sounds solid in my mind's eye
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.