Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazing Sounding 12" Sub you haven't heard of.....Thiel

1. Back To Top    #1

Amazing Sounding 12" Sub you haven't heard of.....Thiel

I purchased one of these for testing purposes and found them to be one of the best SQ subs I have heard and with the bonus of REALLY nice output.

I then purchased a few more to offer on here as I really think they are THAT good.

I tested in a 1.3ft^3 sealed enclosure and the sub hit hard and was articulate and VERY linear. Smooth and powerful. Low distortion.

It is pretty massive (weighs 35lbs and 7.75" Deep) and should have a huge Xmax number, if it was available. Thiel had a 1200 watt amp on this when they used it in their sub system. For my testing, I used an ARC KS1200.1 at 4 ohm (so about 650 watts) and it never was under any stress. This sub has a black anodized aluminum cone.

Anyway, here are the measured T/S Parameters...

R(e)= 3.8483 Ohms

F(s)= 41.72 Hz

Q(ts)= 0.5757

Q(es)= 0.6088

Q(ms)= 10.59

V(as) = 27.34

Grinder was able to put together some ported options in this post (#20)......

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5761819

I have 6 Brand New and 1 lightly used. If you have any questions, let me know and I will try to answer them.

I am asking $300/shipped to your door in the US48 for the new ones and $275/shipped for the lightly used one.

I accept PayPal: jerry_hdma@cox.net (underscore between jerry and hdma)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5793.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	687.7 KB 
ID:	9001Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5792.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	711.7 KB 
ID:	9002Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5791.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	628.9 KB 
ID:	9003

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Amazing Sounding 12" Sub you haven't heard of.....Thiel

XBL motor?

3. Back To Top    #3

Can't find any info on it as far as build type or specs (they were measured) so I don't know.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
    XBL motor?
    Quote Originally Posted by Niebur3 View Post
    Can't find any info on it as far as build type or specs (they were measured) so I don't know.
    Long gap, short coil, from my research. And insanely expensive in finished form, well over $2000 for a dual 12" version, and I'm pretty sure that was unpowered.
    And it was Thiel Audio, pretty interesting approach to subwoofer design and implementation.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ckirocz28 View Post
    Long gap, short coil, from my research. And insanely expensive in finished form, well over $2000 for a dual 12" version, and I'm pretty sure that was unpowered.
    And it was Thiel Audio, pretty interesting approach to subwoofer design and implementation.
    It does not look like a cheap sub. Also looks a bit like the basket on the CSS SDX 12. Tempted to bring one of these home.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
    .....Also looks a bit like the basket on the CSS SDX 12......
    It looks like the EXACT same basket, I've got 2 SDX 12's. They probably use the same Chinese build house.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

I modeled these both sealed and ported and they model really well. Ported 2.1^3 fb=32.3 Hz and sealed 1.77^3 both on 600 watts. I had to take an educated guess on the Le but everything else checked out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	THEIL Subwoofer.png 
Views:	215 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	9034
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

8. Back To Top    #8

My DATS measured Le at .79mH

And this is what Chris (GreatLaBroski) said when he measured his to get me the Vas....."So 0.965 cubic feet for the VAS. This is totally believable considering the size of the box. The interesting thing to me is the 281 grams MMS considering the excursion capabilities. They seemed to be able to get high excursion out of the driver with the high BL and also got to use less MMS and got a smaller VAS with stiffer suspension. This all makes sense. This all makes this driver rather unique and I'm expecting it sounds pretty darn articulate out of a small sealed box."

9. Back To Top    #9

3 total remain (2 Brand New and the 1 Lightly Used for testing)

10. Back To Top    #10

BUMP!!!