Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: This Noob's starter active setup...Please advise

1. Back To Top    #21

Re: This Noob's starter active setup...Please advise

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    I updated my post but will add another update here. I would stick with something that has high power handling and output capability for midbass so my Stevens mb6 suggestion stands. Going 3-way you can skimp on the tweeters because you normally won't need the tweeter to play much below 4000hz. It takes a real badass of a tweeter to play below 2500hz in a compact form. There are plenty of large format tweeters that can play at or below 2000hz cleanly to meet with most midbass woofers but being large format a lot of the times their diameter is over 4" wide with a HUGE magnet on the back.

Tell us your install limitations and skillset so we can make more solid suggestions. Right now I'm just throwing stuff at the wall and hoping something sticks, lol.

And yes you'll need amp channels for the tweeters. Headunit power is DIRTY power so not that great for powering anything worth having.
    Hey man can you steer me in the general direction of how to go about fabricating the '05 Altimas front door to fit a 8" mid? If that's even doable...

2. Back To Top    #22

I do not know all the details of how to do a 8" driver in the door of that generation altima but I do know it can be done because I have seen it first hand. Years ago the gentleman who opened my eyes to what car audio could be gave me a demo that I will never forget. at the time he was running a pair of cheap 8" in the doors with some cheap 4" mids in the kicks and tweets in the sails. it was a cheap proof of concept build he did as a test and to show people like me that good sound does not have to cost a kidney and a liver. later he upgraded to higher end drivers and i believe he got back in to competition.

3. Back To Top    #23
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

If you want a small format tweeter that does a lot of things OK crossed low here's an option that might fit in your factory pillar locations.
    https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...-dome-tweeter/
    2500hz with a 24db slope is the lowest I'd cross this tweeter but it gets pretty loud and clean crossed there and it doesn't have the harsh metal dome characteristics once tuned. For a small format tweeter that can cross low enough to meet up with most 6.5" woofers it's a real diamond in the rough. And very durable too. I found out the hard way when my finger slipped in the minidsp software putting a fullrange signal to one of mine for way longer than I care to admit. It survived and I gave that pair to naiku to see if they would fit in his previous car. Far as I know they're still alive and kicking with one just having a little higher impedance than the other from cooking the coil a little. I think you'd like it a lot for the goals and budget.

No idea on putting 8's into the doors of an Altima because I've never been into the doors of one.
    Last edited by Hillbilly SQ; 01-24-2020 at 12:48 PM.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

4. Back To Top    #24

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    I updated my post but will add another update here. I would stick with something that has high power handling and output capability for midbass so my Stevens mb6 suggestion stands. Going 3-way you can skimp on the tweeters because you normally won't need the tweeter to play much below 4000hz. It takes a real badass of a tweeter to play below 2500hz in a compact form. There are plenty of large format tweeters that can play at or below 2000hz cleanly to meet with most midbass woofers but being large format a lot of the times their diameter is over 4" wide with a HUGE magnet on the back.

Tell us your install limitations and skillset so we can make more solid suggestions. Right now I'm just throwing stuff at the wall and hoping something sticks, lol.

And yes you'll need amp channels for the tweeters. Headunit power is DIRTY power so not that great for powering anything worth having.

I just want to let you know man that Stevens recommendation was spot on! You were 100% correct. Those speakers are a diamond in the rough if they perform as well as everything o read about them. I literally couldnt find a single thread about them that wasnt glowing and represented everything on the spec sheet. I'm 100% getting those. I was looking heavily into the Hertz Mille component set for $450 and still think the Steven's are a better fit and honestly just as good a speaker if not better. Thing is I'm gonna need the MB8 for a slim $10 more and gotta figure out how to fit them in my Altima. Idc what it takes though I'll but the 8s and fit them in no matter what and bombproof the doors. Thanks again.

If you can give some some suggestions on how to fabricate something to get them to fit that would be great I can send you some detailed pics of the inside of the doors when I get a chance.