Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Why is "beating speaker frequency response into submission" via EQ a bad thing?

1. Back To Top    #51

Re: Why is "beating speaker frequency response into submission" via EQ a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    This is where the polarity-checking tool (or app) comes in so handy. You can check polarity without being able to see the speaker cone at all - and/or when you don't have access to the speaker wires anywhere near where the speaker is physically located. Just play the repeated "tick" sound and press a button and you can tell if it's wired correctly..
    When using app or polarity checker tools like that it is also important to make sure you disable all XO, EQ, and Phase/TA on driver’s DSP channel (send raw full range signal for the tick/pop test). It will eliminate false readings.

2. Back To Top    #52
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Re: Why is "beating speaker frequency response into submission" via EQ a bad thing?

Guess I'm pretty spoiled that I was able to fairly easily run my own wire to all speakers that way there's no doubt the polarity is correct.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

3. Back To Top    #53

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    Polarity on all speakers is correct according to factory coloring on speakers and amps.

Checked everything this last weekend and I did confirm that the polarity is the same in the doors as the rest of the speakers. Positive is to positive and negative is to negative. I did even confirm this with a 9v battery. Everything moved in the same direction. The amp is also confimed that the negative wire goes into the negative side and vice versa with positive. The only thing I can think of is maybe the amp internally is wrong...but it is a pdx-f6 so that would be a pretty huge issue on the production line.....

I even switched out the door speakers to test some other things and confirmed they were wired the same as the others. They also needed to be flipped polarity in the dsp software.

I didn't get before graphs with REW due to the other things but when I was using rew and checking all speaker pairs with the new speakers, the polarity issue was confirmed even in the new speakers. This tuning session matched Justin's spreadsheets curve acoustically very well. So it isn't an issue with the frequencies not being a 24db acoustical crossover.

I will describe what REW showed as I forgot to save those measurements.

1) The graphs together were still louder but the crossover frequency was lower when polarity was flipped. As in the together repsonse still summed higher than a single speaker but was lower than when polarity was correct. It wasn't a huge dip like you sometimes get. It was just lower by a couple db. Noticeable on the graph but only if you take RTA with polarity one way and then the other way.
    This sounds very much like the problems we see with subs, even when EVERYTHING is absolutely correct we still need to adjust T/A or polarity or add an all-pass filter to correct environmentally induced problems. Since the problem was with midbass speakers, it kinda makes sense.

4. Back To Top    #54
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    Guess I'm pretty spoiled that I was able to fairly easily run my own wire to all speakers that way there's no doubt the polarity is correct.
    I have my own wire ran to all speakers. I am not using any factory. Polarity is correct with the wire.

Quote Originally Posted by ckirocz28 View Post
    This sounds very much like the problems we see with subs, even when EVERYTHING is absolutely correct we still need to adjust T/A or polarity or add an all-pass filter to correct environmentally induced problems. Since the problem was with midbass speakers, it kinda makes sense.
    Ya, I think this is more about environment than anything else. I've had some interesting environment issues with the 14 F150. Even Justin Zazzi is confused as to why my speakers respond as if they are in an open field and not in a door that is fairly well deadened and sealed (CLD, CCF, MLV). Two different sets of speakers having the same issue leads me to think it is the environment.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods