Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keep current headunit or upgrade it to match current build?

1. Back To Top    #1

Keep current headunit or upgrade it to match current build?

Currently planned setup:
    -One Sundown SA-12 wired to 1-ohm @1200w RMS per the output specs of Orion D2400 monoblock amp.

-Pair of Kicker KSS65 2-ways, 125RMS each (4-ohm), and a pair undecided coaxes (whatever coaxes I can find that will fit with the amp)...both powered by a Precision Power P900.4 Class D amp (145W RMS × 4ch @4ohms)

Headunit I have now is a Kenwood DDX419 from 2012 specs are:
    Power Output:-Peak: 50 watts x 4 channels-RMS: 22 watts x 4 channels-3-Band equalizer with six presets-4 Sets of 4V preamp outputs (front, rear and subwoofer)Any thoughts on how well this headunit above matches with my planned setup? I am looking to make the setup SPL with deep clear lows.

Anything in particular this headunit is missing, and what should I be looking for in a new headunit if an upgrade is warranted?

Thanks in advance. This is my first build, being the noob I am. But I am trying to get it done fairly well the first time so it lasts a good while and sounds great.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2019 Toyota Camry

Re: Keep current headunit or upgrade it to match current build?

If the head unit you have is working properly, it will work fine. From the bare source signal alone, you won't hear a difference between the one you have and a new one. Features or looks will be the primary deciding factor. Do you want more tuning options than the 3 band eq?

I suggest going with the one you have currently. You may like it just fine. If not, using it will help you decide which features are a must with a new unit.
    Meh, it'll play.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

As mentioned above the only limitation I see is the 3 band eq. You'd be better off spending your money on a standalone dsp like the Dayton 408 from Parts Express and a Dayton umm-6 measurement mic to tune with using Room EQ Wizard (rew). With a standalone dsp just about any decent headunit will get the job done. I see you're going for SPL but if the front end is dialed in also with a fairly flat response it will make the system as a whole so much sweeter
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Dustin

As was stated, for use a source your current head unit will be fine. In terms of tuning capabilities a newer head unit will be a substantial improvement or adding a stand alone DSP will provide the capability to take it to a whole different level.

In terms of features, there is a world of difference between a 2012 unit and what is available today. If you can afford it, I would highly suggest looking a the flagship Navigation (DNX), DVD (DDX) and Mechless (DMX) units from Kenwood over the last couple of years. If that is out of your budget but you use a smart phone, I would at least suggest a current unit with CarPlay or Android Auto. (Whichever matches your phone of choice.) The Alpine ILX-W650 is a great value on that front.
    New Truck | No System
    2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by rton20s View Post
    As was stated, for use a source your current head unit will be fine. In terms of tuning capabilities a newer head unit will be a substantial improvement or adding a stand alone DSP will provide the capability to take it to a whole different level.

In terms of features, there is a world of difference between a 2012 unit and what is available today. If you can afford it, I would highly suggest looking a the flagship Navigation (DNX), DVD (DDX) and Mechless (DMX) units from Kenwood over the last couple of years. If that is out of your budget but you use a smart phone, I would at least suggest a current unit with CarPlay or Android Auto. (Whichever matches your phone of choice.) The Alpine ILX-W650 is a great value on that front.
    Many thanks! Will the Alpine ILX and Android Auto approximate at least 80% or so of the SQ gains that would come with adding a stand alone DPS to the 2012 HU? I'm definitely looking to maximize SQ but not really looking to split hairs.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    As mentioned above the only limitation I see is the 3 band eq. You'd be better off spending your money on a standalone dsp like the Dayton 408 from Parts Express and a Dayton umm-6 measurement mic to tune with using Room EQ Wizard (rew). With a standalone dsp just about any decent headunit will get the job done. I see you're going for SPL but if the front end is dialed in also with a fairly flat response it will make the system as a whole so much sweeter
    Thanks man. Can you point me in the right direction of where to research how to properly tune with the Dayton 408 and the mic w/wizard...and any other tips and pointers you may have?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by rton20s View Post

Many thanks! Will the Alpine ILX and Android Auto approximate at least 80% or so of the SQ gains that would come with adding a stand alone DPS to the 2012 HU? I'm definitely looking to maximize SQ but not really looking to split hairs. Spending a little more money and investing a lot of time learning how to do things the right way is something I enjoy so that never an issue.
    Just trying to gather options and not chase minor differences.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

That's all relative to you. To us, hell to the no. The capabilities of a stand alone DSP are far and above every head unit on the market and we'd never use one. But to one without knowing better and hearing the difference, they'd be happy with DSP on current model head units. You still won't be at a loss if you upgrade HU now and then later decide to expand and add external DSP. You'll gain android auto/car play and ability to play hifi files.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

I'd upgrade to a newer Kenwood. I'd skip one with built-in navigation and opt for Android Auto/Apple CarPlay. Other than phone and app integration, the newer unit will also have a 13 band EQ, variable slope crossovers, and basic time alignment.

10. Back To Top    #10

Buy a headunit that has a high output voltage (4V and up is better)
    Choose one that has all you need: Bluetooth, remote control (if needed), gps (if needed), android or ios autoconnect, USB, Flac (if you need it), etc...
    Double Din needed? Get a backup camera, etc...

... then invest in a nice DSP that is future proof - meaning it receives updates from time to time

Hope that helps,
    Kelvin