Thread: Need a recomendation

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2019 Toyota Camry

Need a recomendation

I'll be working on cramming a larger speaker in the door. I want to use a disc in my die grinder to abrade the back surface of the OEM speaker grill to open up more of the grill. What kind of disc would be best for material removal without melting or destroying the plastic?
    Meh, it'll play.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Re: Need a recomendation

Some kind of surface conditioning disc? Perhaps the scotch-brite pad style ones.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	8947 It might be a bit of a reach, but I've used them to remove paint from steel and the paint doesn't seem to melt, just flake. So hopefully it won't heat the plastic up too much. You might need something a bit smoother though, tough call.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    I'll be working on cramming a larger speaker in the door. I want to use a disc in my die grinder to abrade the back surface of the OEM speaker grill to open up more of the grill. What kind of disc would be best for material removal without melting or destroying the plastic?
    Alternatively you could take a measurement with and without the grill, and use that to determine what its effect is before you start?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Holmz View Post
    Alternatively you could take a measurement with and without the grill, and use that to determine what its effect is before you start?
    Sounds like a good idea. The effort of opening up the grille might not be worth the difference in response especially in the midbass band.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    Sounds like a good idea. The effort of opening up the grille might not be worth the difference in response especially in the midbass band.
    Or it might be dramatic.
    If there is no way of knowing without trying then I would opine...

But removing the grill entirely is a pretty easy place to start, before deciding to be grinding away at the grill.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

I'm sorry Smitty, it just dawned on me what you were asking. I though you meant thinning the grill to allow better xmax from the speaker. Now I think you meant opening up the holes in the grill to allow more flow? My bad....perhaps one of the bits with the blue collars would work? Depending if your opening up round holes or narrow slits, maybe one of these in a drill press might work better?

Name:	pic 2.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	8955

Just ignore me if I'm still missing the point.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by blockrocker View Post
    I'm sorry Smitty, it just dawned on me what you were asking. I though you meant thinning the grill to allow better xmax from the speaker. Now I think you meant opening up the holes in the grill to allow more flow? My bad....perhaps one of the bits with the blue collars would work? Depending if your opening up round holes or narrow slits, maybe one of these in a drill press might work better?

Name:	pic 2.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	8955

Just ignore me if I'm still missing the point.
    No, you had it right the first time. The grill is fairly large but the backside has plastic filled holes and a ridge which contacts the foam around the OEM speaker. The open holes and ridge are shaped like the OEM 6x9. I'm installing 8's. I want to take down the ridge and explore the possibility of taking out the just enough material to open the rest of the grill holes. I have used the sandpaper style discs before on similar projects. I just had to take it very slow and easy.

As others have mentioned, it may not be worth it. I don't have the skills and materials to make new grills if this goes south. I just don't like the looks of the 6x9 opening in front of the 8's... if I was to ever look. Just looking for advise or horror stories because I may or may not do it.
    Meh, it'll play.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Holmz View Post
    But removing the grill entirely is a pretty easy place to start, before deciding to be grinding away at the grill.
    You have my attention. I thought the grill was molded into the door panel but don't have it off at the moment to check. Please explain what you mean here.
    Meh, it'll play.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    You have my attention. I thought the grill was molded into the door panel but don't have it off at the moment to check. Please explain what you mean here.
    Measure the response with the whole door card on then...
    Then do it again with the door card off.

If the numbers are the same, then dicking around with the holes will not gain you anything.

or... put you hand in front of te speaker, and does that really cut down on the sound?

10. Back To Top    #10
    Vehicle

Oh, I gotcha. I don't believe the hole is small enough inhibit the sound very much if at all. This is more for looks than anything else.
    Meh, it'll play.