Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop tour

1. Back To Top    #1

Shop tour

I know some of you came in November for the meet and saw what the place looked like then (a mess), but it was suggested to me to do a YouTube channel that shows the various projects I end up working on here.

So here's the first video for the channel which is a simple, rambling shop tour.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Re: Shop tour

A Coke machine? In the shop?!?!

Badassery at it's finest.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, traded some stuff to a guy for that. Holds 660 cans.

I currently have it loaded with different soda, water, tea, and beer.

Just need to get the password (which is by region, apparently) so I can change pricing on it and not have to stick $1.50 in it every time I want a beer.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

It keeps everything nice and chilled...and it helps when he leaves it unlocked

I can't wait for your next GTG, Jason.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

at next GTG he'll up charge it to $4

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

Nice shop.

That third gen will need subframe connectors if you put anything more than stock power in it. A 375hp 327 twisted my 82 berlinetta...

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jrwalte View Post
    at next GTG he'll up charge it to $4
    It stays unlocked.

Quote Originally Posted by SublimeZ View Post
    Nice shop.

That third gen will need subframe connectors if you put anything more than stock power in it. A 375hp 327 twisted my 82 berlinetta...
    Yeah, that 3rd gen is last on the list of things to do around here. Dad just wanted to get it out of the weather and asked me if I wanted it. So I brought it here.

8. Back To Top    #8

Really nice setup, Jason!

It looks like you're really close to being 100% up and running. I know the feeling of not being able to start the project that you really want or need to start until you get everything else in order. :/ But you'll get there, you're super close!

One thing that I did to make my workshop a much happier place to be was to put the compressor and dust collection vac outside of my actual enclosed work area just for the noise factor.

Now I can hear myself think again, and the actual tool noise is more satisfying, LOL.

And sometimes you rely on the sound of the tool or its interaction with the workpiece to know when something is going right or wrong.

Having the compressor, dust vac, AND an actual tool running all at the same time was a bit overbearing in my small-ish workshop (though its just an 8x8x20 built-out shipping container, so much more reverberant)!

Subscribed and looking forward to seeing your projects!

9. Back To Top    #9

It's taken a lot to get to this point. Much of it standing or sitting and looking at the space and figuring out how - exactly - I want the place laid out and making it all work together. Then there's the whole "build a shop without a shop" scenario. Every time you cut wood or sand drywall mud it makes a complete mess out of everything.

I put the table saw in place, knew where I wanted the router (same basic locations I've used setting up car audio shops) and knew where the compressor, dust collector, and lathe were going.

I got everything in rough place and started pluming all of the dust collection. I wanted to have the piping along one wall but allowed myself a location to run wye across the shop to the opposite wall if I wanted/needed in the future. Running piping along that wall meant I needed to adjust placement of the table saw, router, lathe, and air compressor to get it all to work the way I wanted and allow for an outfeed/wood storage/downdraft table. I'm hashing out the plan for that table in my head and making revisions.

At this point I need to build some retainers/supports for some of the dust collection piping that will go below the blast gates. The SawStop over arm dust collection hood wants to rotate the 4" pipe. A simple brace will keep it in place. Once those are in I can focus on the outfeed/storage/sanding table.

This is how it looked on the 20th. I've since built the riser for the support legs of the table saw.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dc.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	273.0 KB 
ID:	8986

Name:	dc1.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	311.4 KB 
ID:	8987

And , after looking back through the image folder, here are a couple of photos from May 7th. Before I started framing it all in.

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	8988Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	265.9 KB 
ID:	8989

Framing started on May 20th.

Name:	4.jpg