Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best foam or felt for dashmat?

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: Best foam or felt for dashmat?

Quote Originally Posted by Holmz View Post
    It is hard to beat evidence.
    I'm getting sick of you lately. Jumping on the internet expecting people to provide definable facts to back up the claims they type.

Build a blanket out of melamine foam. A few inches thick has been scientifically proven to absorb. Have a time for listening while parked with your mat and one for driving around without.

2. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Theslaking View Post
    I'm getting sick of you lately. Jumping on the internet expecting people to provide definable facts to back up the claims they type.

Build a blanket out of melamine foam. A few inches thick has been scientifically proven to absorb. Have a time for listening while parked with your mat and one for driving around without.
    I am also getting sick...

We have people wanting to X,Y or Z... in the case Mr Adams said he did the towel thing and it made no difference, and rather them trying a towel or chunk of foam, everyone just ignores the comment and keeps looking for whether they want close or open cell foam.

The alternators are another one, where rather than see if there is a problem that needs fixing, they chin scratch over a 300a alternator versus a 400a alternator.

i would be pissed off too if someone else asked the retheroical question that made me look like I had not thought it through very well.

What Mr. Adams is doing looks like a poster child example in this case.
    i am also sure that foam or towel probably helps, but with all the other glass around maybe it is just insignificant.

science is not researching foams or alternators, it is putting in the towel and if there is a sonic difference then measuring and figuring how and why.
    ...or grabbing a DMM to see if there is a voltage problem before fixing what already works fine.
    Last edited by Holmz; 01-22-2020 at 04:49 PM.

3. Back To Top    #13

Yeah the alternator one was just asinine. Dash mat definitely can help but it doesn't as much as it does. I read lots of peoples build logs over the years showing measured responses both ways

4. Back To Top    #14

yeah, impact varies by vehicle, install, tune, listening position, listening preferences.

(basically every variable)
    Last edited by nadams5755; 01-22-2020 at 09:14 PM.

5. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by nadams5755 View Post
    yeah, impact varies by vehicle, install, tune, listening position, listening preferences.

(basically every variable)
    Whoch is why your idea of chucking towel in to see (hear) if anything is apparently changed seems really wise before going out sorting out which mat to go with. (Maybe it will in one car, and not in another)

That is the evidence that one should do before they go to step #2 (IMO).
    And your mentioning it seemed pretty obvious once I thought about it.

And I doubt I will change.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

To the OP- Check the NRC (Noise reduction coefficient) of the material you want to use. This will give you an idea of how effective it is at absorbing sound. Remember, as frequency decreases you will need thicker material to absorb. In my vehicle, there was a noticeable difference between having my absorption material on the dash vs not.
    Wool felt is a good material, as is acoustic foam/OCF.

7. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by captainobvious View Post
    To the OP- Check the NRC (Noise reduction coefficient) of the material you want to use. This will give you an idea of how effective it is at absorbing sound. Remember, as frequency decreases you will need thicker material to absorb. In my vehicle, there was a noticeable difference between having my absorption material on the dash vs not.
    Wool felt is a good material, as is acoustic foam/OCF.
    Well given I like evidence...and you found it useful... (And I may want to try it myself...)

1) What product did you use?
    2) What was the sonic difference you heard?
    (if it is even describable)
    3) How big is the windscreen?
    4) And what is the arraignment of the speakers? Dash, pillars?

I have a truck with a big windscreen, or at least it needs to have the windscreen put back in...
    So before I just through in a towel... these questions may be useful.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

1) What product did you use? F13 Wool Felt
    2) What was the sonic difference you heard? Less harshness/brightness and more cohesiveness to midrange/high frequency.
    3) How big is the windscreen? Massive. Bigger than your average 1 ton pickup. (taller, not wider).
    4) And what is the arraignment of the speakers? Dash, pillars? Pillar/dash for Midranges, sail panels for tweeters.

9. Back To Top    #19

Thank you for all the replies