Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: People ask me why I don't install remote start on my truck

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: People ask me why I don't install remost start on my truck

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    This guy is the biggest fucking idiot on the face of automotive youtube videos.. dont actively bypass any of the safety features on remote starts for a manual car and theres no issue. You literally have to try to make a remote start dangerous. Seriously, dont let this jackass deter you. If you dont believe me on how stupid he is, heres a video of his you can relate to and see what I mean.. search for his sound deadening video. Hes literally just a billboard for shitty companies and blogs full of out of date, fucked up misinformation.
    I dunno - I just watched that sound deadening video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3635GyE_lE) and it looked pretty legit to me. He doesn't even link to the same sound deadener he talks about in that video - he actually links to Noico sound deadener on Amazon, which I've also used and it worked great - it's been installed for years without any issues whatsoever - even on the roof in my car. It made a dramatic difference in the midbass in my doors and it also got rid of all of the rattles that I had. It may not be the absolute best out there, but it works very well for the cost. I was very happy with it and would recommend it in a heartbeat.

I can understand why you wouldn't be a fan of his "opinions" since you make a living off of selling your own brand of sound deadener and even installing aftermarket remote starters, but I have absolutely no issues with that video he made. Didn't seem like a giant billboard for shitty companies to me. :-)

That all being said, Scotty is a lot like you - he is very opinionated and I certainly don't agree with everything he says. For example, he's constantly saying what a piece of shit Dodge vehicles are, yet they were just awarded as the most reliable American car brand - so go figure (and, of course, I happen to have a Dodge Challenger). :-) I do agree that Dodge/Chrysler had reliability issues long ago, but not so much any more - and Scotty still has that bad taste in his mouth.

I think we've *all* seen crappy aftermarket remote starter installs - and I even avoid any car with an aftermarket remote starter - simply because you have no idea if they were installed properly and a lot of them are pure junk. There are also good ones, but they can still be installed improperly. Like I said, I paid to get an OEM remote starter in my Challenger since it was an option for my car. Generally, I prefer OEM for most stuff, if possible.

That's fine, I'm not a mechanic so I dont make mechanic videos. Hes not an installer and shouldnt be making videos of mobile electronics/soundproofing for whatever company or blog sponsors him
    What, so now only "professionals" are allowed to make videos about subjects that interest them? C'mon man... He actually used the products he had in his video in his own car and even took before/after readings. Not so sure why you are so against his video - except for what I mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by Mullings View Post
    Seriously, search for a video of something that you can relate to and you’ll see that he’s full of shit, today Toyota is the best, tomorrow is Honda. Did you know that if your car didn’t come with a factory remote start and you ask the dealer for the option, it’s gonna be someone from a local shop that’s gonna install one in it? Also for your truck, there are plenty plug and play systems from all reputable companies that you can do in 20 minutes, That’s with taking down the dash and reinstalling it. Fuck Scotty, read the comments and you see what I’m talking bout, people knows he’s getting paid from companies to talk shit.
    Again, just because you don't agree with *everything* someone says doesn't mean that they are "full of shit" on every topic they ever discuss.

Regarding the bolded part above, that is absolutely incorrect. I had the dealer install an OEM remote start in my Challenger - it's the exact same remote start that comes from the factory and the dealership techs actually installed it while I waited. Now if the car model doesn't even have the option for a remote start, then yes, obviously it's not going to be an OEM remote start. :-) But they still may or may not install it themselves.
    Last edited by jtrosky; 01-17-2020 at 08:42 AM.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    I dunno - I just watched that sound deadening video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3635GyE_lE) and it looked pretty legit to me. He doesn't even link to the same sound deadener he talks about in that video - he actually links to Noico sound deadener on Amazon, which I've also used and it worked great - it's been installed for years without any issues whatsoever - even on the roof in my car. It made a dramatic difference in the midbass in my doors and it also got rid of all of the rattles that I had. It may not be the absolute best out there, but it works very well for the cost. I was very happy with it and would recommend it in a heartbeat.

I can understand why you wouldn't be a fan of his "opinions" since you make a living off of selling your own brand of sound deadener and even installing aftermarket remote starters, but I have absolutely no issues with that video he made. Didn't seem like a giant billboard for shitty companies to me. :-)

That all being said, Scotty is a lot like you - he is very opinionated and I certainly don't agree with everything he says. For example, he's constantly saying what a piece of shit Dodge vehicles are, yet they were just awarded as the most reliable American car brand - so go figure (and, of course, I happen to have a Dodge Challenger). :-) I do agree that Dodge/Chrysler had reliability issues long ago, but not so much any more - and Scotty still has that bad taste in his mouth.

I think we've *all* seen crappy aftermarket remote starter installs - and I even avoid any car with an aftermarket remote starter - simply because you have no idea if they were installed properly and a lot of them are pure junk. There are also good ones, but they can still be installed improperly. Like I said, I paid to get an OEM remote starter in my Challenger since it was an option for my car. Generally, I prefer OEM for most stuff, if possible.

What, so now only "professionals" are allowed to make videos about subjects that interest them? C'mon man... He actually used the products he had in his video in his own car and even took before/after readings. Not so sure why you are so against his video - except for what I mentioned above.

Again, just because you don't agree with *everything* someone says doesn't mean that they are "full of shit" on every topic they ever discuss.

Regarding the bolded part above, that is absolutely incorrect. I had the dealer install an OEM remote start in my Challenger - it's the exact same remote start that comes from the factory and the dealership techs actually installed it while I waited. Now if the car model doesn't even have the option for a remote start, then yes, obviously it's not going to be an OEM remote start. :-) But they still may or may not install it themselves.
    Because, no offense, you also know know much about what is what (which is okay)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

3. Back To Top    #13

Because, no offense, you also know know much about what is what (which is okay)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    So please enlighten us - what problems did you have with his deadener video? He basically just explained that most cars can benefit from sound deadening - and gave examples of some products that can do that. He even did before/after tests after installing said products in his own car! I even have some personal experience with the products he linked to and they exceeded *my* expectations - for *my* goals - which may be different than *your* goals.

It was a very "generalized" video and was never aimed at people that compete in SQ competitions that would be willing to spend top $$$ for the absolute best product available. I'd like to understand why you think that was so terrible, being that I don't know much about what is what... Do you REALLY think that he should recommend top-of-the-line deadener aimed at SQ competitors to people that most likely still have stock radios (his audience)? That would be like you recommending Peel-and-Seal to *your* customers - it makes no sense. Again, this video was not even aimed at car-stereo installations, let alone SQ systems - it was more of a "how to quiet the inside of your car" video - in a very general sense.

SQ folks don't watch Scotty Kilmer videos for tips on sound deadening installation - just sayin.... Different audience, different goals. Doesn't mean that he's a "fucking idiot" as you say.... <sigh>

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    So please enlighten us - what problems did you have with his deadener video? He basically just explained that most cars can benefit from sound deadening - and gave examples of some products that can do that. He even did before/after tests after installing said products in his own car! I even have some personal experience with the products he linked to and they exceeded *my* expectations - for *my* goals - which may be different than *your* goals.

It was a very "generalized" video and was never aimed at people that compete in SQ competitions that would be willing to spend top $$$ for the absolute best product available. I'd like to understand why you think that was so terrible, being that I don't know much about what is what... Do you REALLY think that he should recommend top-of-the-line deadener aimed at SQ competitors to people that most likely still have stock radios (his audience)? That would be like you recommending Peel-and-Seal to *your* customers - it makes no sense. Again, this video was not even aimed at car-stereo installations, let alone SQ systems - it was more of a "how to quiet the inside of your car" video - in a very general sense.

SQ folks don't watch Scotty Kilmer videos for tips on sound deadening installation - just sayin.... Different audience, different goals. Doesn't mean that he's a "fucking idiot" as you say.... <sigh>
    before i even go into it since my response will just be flagged as biased in whatever way, can you answer me this.. what other deadeners have you used aside from noico?

also, reglardless of what we say here the guy is absolutely an idiot. every. single. time. i see one of his videos pop up, people are able to pick apart the misinformation. hes not making these videos to directly educate. Hes making these for ad revenue. ad revenue happens when you get views. social media algorithims put your shit to the top when your content is talked about. you know what is talked about the most on the internet? things people hate. Mark of Car Audio Fabrication typed out a PERFECT response to someone posting this video in an industry facebook group..

As a person who knows a thing or two about YouTube I'd like to weigh in on this. First off, understand that I think everything this guy is saying is hogwash and frustrating, he clearly doesnt know what he is talking about, I am in no way, shape or form defending him... now allow me to make a different point...
    The reason this guy consistently has videos perform very well is he preys upon topics he knows get people fired up. Most of his videos are filled with inaccurate statements and info he KNOWS will make you angry and comment.
    By posting comments and negatively rating the video the only thing you are really doing is giving the video more engagement, which will lead to the video being shown to more people. The algorithm knows that you guys are watching a good chunk of that video, engaging and maybe even sharing it. These are all indicators that tell the algorithm "This video brings people to the platform so we can show them ads", so YouTube is going to do nothing but promote that video even more. Sadly the best thing to do here to avoid having the video spread even more is to just ignore it.
    Understand that this is the way nearly ALL social media works. The goal of these companies is to keep you on the platform seeing ads. They dont care if it's a positive message or negative, they just care that you are here. One thing that really drives me nuts is how someone will share a picture of a bad install and it always seems every person in our industry feels the need to comment on it, share it, and ENGAGE with it. This makes posts of crap installs rise to the top... and leads to a bad reputation for our industry as people outside our industry are only going to see those most popular posts. In the mean time I see people post immaculate installs and get just a few likes and a few comments and a post that would set a very good example for the industry just gets lost and buried.
    Moral of the story, engaging with things you dont like usually only gives that thing more eyeballs. Its concerning to me because I have watched more guys that have similar car audio channels start to turn to the same strategy... negativity gets views... ��Let's make 2020 the year we start giving more eyeballs and engagement to the positive things that deserve it... Build each other up, it's in the best interest for all of us.

5. Back To Top    #15

Re: People ask me why I don't install remote start on my truck

It's a vicious circle, both cause and result of Outrage Culture.

6. Back To Top    #16

before i even go into it since my response will just be flagged as biased in whatever way, can you answer me this.. what other deadeners have you used aside from noico?

also, reglardless of what we say here the guy is absolutely an idiot. every. single. time. i see one of his videos pop up, people are able to pick apart the misinformation. hes not making these videos to directly educate. Hes making these for ad revenue. ad revenue happens when you get views. social media algorithims put your shit to the top when your content is talked about. you know what is talked about the most on the internet? things people hate. Mark of Car Audio Fabrication typed out a PERFECT response to someone posting this video in an industry facebook group..

Actually, I think you have made a case for him being pretty smart... The guy has made millions of dollars on YouTube... Hell, I wish I would have thought of that.
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRam View Post
    Actually, I think you have made a case for him being pretty smart... The guy has made millions of dollars on YouTube... Hell, I wish I would have thought of that.
    idk about millions. youtube doesnt pay THAT well lol

8. Back To Top    #18

idk about millions. youtube doesnt pay THAT well lol

https://naibuzz.com/how-much-money-s...ube-net-worth/
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

9. Back To Top    #19
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

An Emmy award? Wow. I've just been watching this thread from the sidelines, but holy crap, I would not have assumed that. Certainly a successful dude, if nothing else.

10. Back To Top    #20
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Re: People ask me why I don't install remote start on my truck

I had a feeling this was gonna be a shit storm. Luckily we can still lock our own threads on here. I'm locking to help protect the integrity of the forum. For the record I like Scotty. I agree with a lot of his opinions. There are things you'll only learn as you age and the older I get the more I realize I don't know shit. So if you're young and think you have things nailed down you might want to re-evaluate your thought process
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.