Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: People ask me why I don't install remote start on my truck

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

People ask me why I don't install remote start on my truck

EDIT: Just saw the typo in the thread title but can't change it so no need in pointing that out.

EDIT again: trimmed the fat so the point of this thread wouldn't get lost in the fluff for those who are habitual skimmers.

If you're a skimmer and don't like to read here's a video I just stumbled on that explains what I've seen others go through with aftermarket remote starts over the years. I don't even trust the jerks at Auto Audio that thinks their shit don't stink after several decades in business.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PXJiYBtH9A

I had remote start as a factory option in my last vehicle and loved it but don't really miss it. Still a shame I couldn't trust it for towing anymore after they had to patch where the hitch bolts in when it got rearended really hard.

So, my Ram is pretty basic and exactly what I wanted. I don't miss the leather seats or any of the other creature comforts in my last vehicle. People who know how much I love remote starts ask me why I don't install one on my truck. Well, it's not a necessity and I just let it idle until it drops below 1000rpm (about 30 seconds when cold) and take off. Small cab cools off fast and heater is fast too. I've seen far too many people over the years have remote start issues when letting a car stereo shop install it. And I don't know enough or care to know enough about them to do it myself. A lot of you have probably done an aftermarket remote start and never had a problem. If that's the case then great. I just don't trust anyone local to do such a thing. On the flip side my dad hasn't remote started his Silverado LT since it was brand new in 2014 when he was showing it off
    Last edited by BigAl205; 01-17-2020 at 08:05 AM. Reason: speeling
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

Re: People ask me why I don't install remost start on my truck

Well, look on the bright side. If you choose to put a remote start on your vehicle later, you have one of the easiest vehicles to install one on.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Euphonic View Post
    Well, look on the bright side. If you choose to put a remote start on your vehicle later, you have one of the easiest vehicles to install one on.
    That's my thought. One of the reasons I love the more basic Ram is how easy they are to work on and this is my third one in this generation so know them inside and out.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

4. Back To Top    #4

I literally remote start my car every time I drive it - summer, winter, spring and fall. :-) That being said, I will only use a factory remote starter. My 2018 Challenger didn't have remote start, so I actually paid a dealership to install a factory system into it. It certainly wasn't cheap, but at least I know it's a factory system and is designed for the vehicle.

I went without the remote start for a few weeks before I just had to have it added. There is nothing like being able to start your car from the house on those crazy-cold days. Love getting into a perfectly-warm (or cooled in the summer) car. :-)

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Nick

This guy is the biggest fucking idiot on the face of automotive youtube videos.. dont actively bypass any of the safety features on remote starts for a manual car and theres no issue. You literally have to try to make a remote start dangerous. Seriously, dont let this jackass deter you. If you dont believe me on how stupid he is, heres a video of his you can relate to and see what I mean.. search for his sound deadening video. Hes literally just a billboard for shitty companies and blogs full of out of date, fucked up misinformation.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    This guy is the biggest fucking idiot on the face of automotive youtube videos.. dont actively bypass any of the safety features on remote starts for a manual car and theres no issue. You literally have to try to make a remote start dangerous

I bet he knows way more than you do about fixing cars though

And I've had the same feelings about aftermarket remote starts for years so he didn't tell me anything new.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    I bet he knows way more than you do about fixing cars though

And I've had the same feelings about aftermarket remote starts for years so he didn't tell me anything new.
    That's fine, I'm not a mechanic so I dont make mechanic videos. Hes not an installer and shouldnt be making videos of mobile electronics/soundproofing for whatever company or blog sponsors him

8. Back To Top    #8

Seriously, search for a video of something that you can relate to and you’ll see that he’s full of shit, today Toyota is the best, tomorrow is Honda. Did you know that if your car didn’t come with a factory remote start and you ask the dealer for the option, it’s gonna be someone from a local shop that’s gonna install one in it? Also for your truck, there are plenty plug and play systems from all reputable companies that you can do in 20 minutes, That’s with taking down the dash and reinstalling it. Fuck Scotty, read the comments and you see what I’m talking bout, people knows he’s getting paid from companies to talk shit.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Are you not entertained?!?!

10. Back To Top    #10
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

One of the biggest problems with doing a DIY remote start install on a newer vehicle is that most people don't have the means to load firmware into the modules needed. I'm not sure how many shops are willing to do that for the average guy either. If it's something you're thinking about attempting, I'd suggest visiting the Fortin Electronics Systems site https://fortin.ca/ and seeing what's available for your vehicle. Why Fortin? Honestly, it's because they aren't as stingy with tech support as some other companies. If you have any questions, ask away, I've been installing remote start systems for over 20 years.