Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 15' to 20' USB A to USB-Mini B recommendations

1. Back To Top    #11
    Vehicle
    BMW 335i E92, BMW X6 F16, 2000 LandCruiser

Re: 15' to 20' USB A to USB-Mini B recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by nadams5755 View Post
    i used the included usb mini-b to usb-a cable and this extension cord, no issues. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GS8GHQO
    With the limitations of some USB cables at 15' I was wondering if an active USB extension cable would be a better solution.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks
    BMW 335i E92 Morel Hybrid 402, Jehnert XE200, JL 12W3v3-4, Twk 88, JL XD500/3 and XD600/6
    BMW X6 F16, Helix SDMI25 -> Helix DSP Ultra, Amps, MMats HiFi-6150D & 4250D, Arc Audio KS125.4 Mini. Front Stage Dyn Esotar 430, Esotec MD 102, Illusion Audio C8. Rear Stage, Morel Hybrid 402, Rear pillars OEM. Sub, ScanSpeak Rev 28W.

2. Back To Top    #12

i really haven't used the usb-hec since like fall 2018 but it worked back then for over a year without issue. i can try it again soon.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by nadams5755 View Post
    i really haven't used the usb-hec since like fall 2018 but it worked back then for over a year without issue. i can try it again soon.
    The fact you haven't used it in over a year reaffirms my thoughts I am spinning my wheels for something I won't really bother with. Thanks.
    BMW 335i E92 Morel Hybrid 402, Jehnert XE200, JL 12W3v3-4, Twk 88, JL XD500/3 and XD600/6
    BMW X6 F16, Helix SDMI25 -> Helix DSP Ultra, Amps, MMats HiFi-6150D & 4250D, Arc Audio KS125.4 Mini. Front Stage Dyn Esotar 430, Esotec MD 102, Illusion Audio C8. Rear Stage, Morel Hybrid 402, Rear pillars OEM. Sub, ScanSpeak Rev 28W.

4. Back To Top    #14

I used a d10+coax instead over the last year. In November I put a head unit in for various reasons (see my build thread for details)

5. Back To Top    #15
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

I ordered a 5M run of Audioquest Forest, and Cinnimon is also a popular one.
    I would have likely been thrilled by the Forest version I ordered.
    My reasoning was simply good construction quality and was available in USB Mini without an adapter.

For some reason, the cable that showed up was the Carbon version. Awe shucks! How tragic!

I can confirm it is a very nice cable.. It is stiff, so be aware it will not route easily in tight turns.
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did

6. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Midway View Post
    I might be just as well off with Monoprice. Can't imagine a $400 cable sounding any better.

I wonder if this will work? Marketed as a camera tether cable.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040609Q0...0_TE_FOCE_n_id

Thanks
    I can vouch for the TetherTools cables. Very good quality and among the better camera tethering cables that are available.

About 95% of the D.I.T. or professional camera/computer "Digital Capture Technicians" in the photography/video industry use their cables and they hold up pretty well with abuse.

They use larger gauge wire conductors for less voltage/signal loss over the length of cable. Their active USB "Repeater" extension cables are good as well. We typically use 30ft USB tethering cables when working on professional shoots with 50+MP digital cameras.

If Nick's low-cost option doesn't work for you, I would try the TetherTools cable(s) if you are still wanting to go with that type of connection.

If you have dropouts or it intermittently disconnects, use a 15ft active repeater cable with the Helix-supplied USB cable, or the shortest male USB A to male USB mini cable that will comfortably reach when combined with the repeater cable.
    Last edited by bbfoto; 01-20-2020 at 04:28 PM.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Vehicle

I did order one, nice to get confirmation. Figured I could always use it on my camera bodies but the D5 and D850 changed, it would have worked on the D4. I’ve had a few shoots myself but usually on stadium fields.

My photography background is what drew me to those.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bbfoto View Post
    I can vouch for the TetherTools cables. Very good quality and among the better camera tethering cables that are available.

About 95% of the D.I.T. or professional camera/computer "Digital Capture Technicians" in the photography/video industry use their cables and they hold up pretty well with abuse.

They use larger gauge wire conductors for less voltage/signal loss over the length of cable. Their active USB "Repeater" extension cables are good as well. We typically use 30ft USB tethering cables when working on professional shoots with 50+MP digital cameras.

If Nick's low-cost option doesn't work for you, I would try the TetherTools cable(s) if you are still wanting to go with that type of connection.

If you have dropouts or it intermittently disconnects, use a 15ft active repeater cable with the Helix-supplied USB cable, or the shortest male USB A to male USB mini cable that will comfortably reach when combined with the repeater cable.