Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Doitor falls off the wagon....again. Mazda 6 Grand Touring daily SQ system.

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Eric

Re: Doitor falls off the wagon....again. Mazda 6 Grand Touring daily SQ system.

Quote Originally Posted by doitor View Post
    Had a chance to go to Finals in Kentucky last year and the SQ bug bit again.
    Well, that just makes no sense at all...

2. Back To Top    #12

Welcome back to the sickness, Jorge.

Nice car and great choice of gear for a simple but significant upgrade in sound for your daily driver.
    That Kenwood is a great head unit with A+ SQ.

I guess the IB wall might not be so simple, but should provide very nice bass when you get it up and running.

And I've never used the H.A.T. Unity gear so I'm interested in your results and impressions.

Tuned in for more.

3. Back To Top    #13

Got the Zapco controller installed last night.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zapco DRC2.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	8896 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zapco DRC1.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	8895

Name:	zapco DRC3.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	8897 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zapco DRC4.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	8898

Name:	zapco DRC5.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	8899 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zapco DRC6.jpg 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	8900

Name:	zapco DRC7.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	8901

J.

4. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    I've always been curious about the shallow Unity 6x9 since the 6x9 door pods in my Ram doors make most GOOD 6x9's unusable. Words can't describe how upset I was when I discovered my Audiofrog gs690's that did so well in my Grand Cherokee wouldn't work in my doors because the overly bulbous basket was hitting a window track support 2" inside the "pod". Look forward to getting my ears on yours.
    The Unity 6x9s has a mounting depth of 3".
    And you are more than welcome to take a listen if we ever meet again.

Quote Originally Posted by bbfoto View Post
    Welcome back to the sickness, Jorge.

Nice car and great choice of gear for a simple but significant upgrade in sound for your daily driver.
    That Kenwood is a great head unit with A+ SQ.

I guess the IB wall might not be so simple, but should provide very nice bass when you get it up and running.

And I've never used the H.A.T. Unity gear so I'm interested in your results and impressions.

Tuned in for more.
    Thanks for the warm welcome. LOL.
    Decided on the Kenwood because of its reviews and price. You can get those for under $400 which is insane considering what it offers.
    As far as the Unity drivers goes, I listened to several cars with them and really like them. But Ill let you know how they sound once I get them installed and tuned.

J.
    Last edited by doitor; 01-17-2020 at 07:39 AM.

5. Back To Top    #15

Weekend progress.
    Got the camera hooked up.
    Used tesa tape on the wires and ran it thru the rear view mirror plastic cover.

Name:	Camera 1.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	9039 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camera 2.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	9040

Name:	Camera 3.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	9041

Also got the center console done.
    The car comes with a usb/aux plug and a charger.

Name:	Console 1.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	9042

I got some USB extensions and replaced the OEM ones.
    The right ones go into the HU. Top one does AppleCarplay. Bottom one will have a hard drive/usb with music.
    The left one will plug into the Zapco. USB for tuning and the aux goes into the aux input on the amp.
    The switch with the key is the "I dont trust you with my sound system" switch, which cuts the remote so the amp wont turn on.

Name:	Console 2.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	9043 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Console 3.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	9044

Name:	Remote switch 1.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	9045

This was my supervisor for the weekend, thats why I had a lot done.

Name:	Supervisor.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	9046

J.
    Last edited by doitor; 01-27-2020 at 08:00 AM.

6. Back To Top    #16

Also managed to wire the Kenwood.
    Found the workshop manual for the car online, so I repined the harness to get it to work (Took out the speaker wires, pined the reverse trigger and steering wheel controls).

Name:	HU 2.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	9048 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HU 1.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	9047

GPS antena

Name:	HU 3.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	9049

Installed the microphone on the OEM location.

Name:	HU 4.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	9050

Bundle of wires with tesa tape.

Name:	hu 5.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	9051

HU in.

Name:	HU 6.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	9052
    HU working.

Name:	HU 7.jpg 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	9053 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HU 9.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	9055

J.
    Last edited by doitor; 01-27-2020 at 08:27 AM.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Love the "I don't trust you key"No risk of the wrong person finding the simple hidden switch some install.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Vehicle
    2018 Ford Mustang GT Base 6 speaker set-up

I like how the Kenwood looks in there

My daughter has a Mazda 6 (Touring), hmm....
    Finally get to update this, procurement & install planning phase has had some execution happen, procurement is for minor items now. Have Morel MT350 Tweeters & Hybrid MW6 Woofers, AudioControl DM-6.1200 & just added LC.1-800, KnuKoncepts Wiring and distribution, Audiofrog GS12D2 refurb, starting with inexpensive subwoofer enclosure to get everything up and running and let funds replenish some...Funds have replenished and now I am questioning my early DSP/Amp approach decision...

9. Back To Top    #19
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

My post disappeared. Weird.

10. Back To Top    #20

From the other forum...

Quote Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
    I want to add a "I don't trust you with my stereo switch" as well as a switch to turn it on without the key present.

When I did mine, I had a couple issues to overcome. 1st, Mazda made the audio system very modular. You can add BT and Nav and Satellite to it in sections. Problem being, mine came with BT, and after I installed the new radio, the old BT module kept trying to pair to my phone. I eventually had to unplug it (above the glove box) because it wouldn't pair to the new radio while it was trying to pair to the old BT module.

When I had the illumination wire hooked up, I got noise through bluetooth (streaming) on my new radio when the car was running. I disconnected it for now, but when I go back in, I'm going to use a relay to see if the noise goes away.

Finally, when I did my steering wheel controls (I used a Maestro SW, but a Pac SWI-CP2 would be a good choice as well) I had to grab one of the wires at the steering wheel so my BT buttons would work. It goes from the steering wheel, through the BT module and since I disconnected the BT module, it couldn't see those buttons, or they are completely isolated from the radio. You can most likely get them at the BT module, but steering wheel was easy to get to.

Also, I picked up a new daily, and I'm considering moving up to 15" IB subs, or 12" enclosed subs, and might move my Acoustic Elegance 12's to the new daily. I haven't decided yet. It's a smaller car, so I don't know how much space I want to give up.

The IB wall wasn't super complicated. I made mine from 3 layers of 3/4" MDF, and recessed the subs 3/4". I mounted it with metal brackets I picked up at Home depot. I left about a 1/16-1/8" gap around it, and filled the gap with black silicone to (hopefully) avoid squeaking. So far so good.

Sorry you didn't get a listen at Finals considering how similar the cars are/will be.

Jay
    I havent had issues with the bluetooth module or the ilumination noise.
    As far as the steering wheel controls, the workshop manual mentions that the bose and non bose wiring is different. The Bose unit does have the phone buttons on the harness and the non bose doesnt.

Name:	Clockspring wire Bose 2.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	945.1 KB 
ID:	9223Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clockspring wire Non Bose.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	9224

J.