Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sound quality improving during winter?

1. Back To Top    #11
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

Re: Sound quality improving during winter?

That could be the difference in materials we are speaking of. I was talking about metal and you are speaking of plastic. Plastic gets brittle in cold. I can see that causing an increase in rattles from plastic.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

I do my best to tune when I'm not sweating in the process (kinda hard here in Arkansas). So temps above and below the "happy" temp range there is a change in sound. I can tell the soft parts on my speakers are more stiff in the cold and more limber in the heat. I'm just wondering how many dirty south summers these LPG tweets and gb25's are gonna last since I've never been one to use one of those clunky sun shades on the windshield. There's also a big change for the worse in sound with extreme humidity (you need gills here in the summer).
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

3. Back To Top    #13

One thing that may not be as top of mind typically is that the components sourced and the designs in our commercially available audio equipment are not able to meet their specifications once the temperature and other factors get beyond a typical range.

From Wikipedia "Broadly accepted grades are: Commercial: 0 ° to 45 °C. Industrial: −20 ° to 85 °C. Military: −55 ° to 125 °C."

In fact my Hertz DSP processor had in the manual it was not supposed to be operated below 0 degrees C I think if I remember. I could be off by a bit. So this is something to think about for tuning and operating car stereo that the equipment may or may not even be in specification depending on the components sourced and the design considerations.

In Calgary today -30 c , I highly doubt anything in my audio system is meeting specifications, lol.

Just some food for thought!!
    Just having fun playing in the car audio sandbox!

4. Back To Top    #14
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Quote Originally Posted by Audiogal View Post
    In fact my Hertz DSP processor had in the manual it was not supposed to be operated below 0 degrees C I think if I remember.
    Those Italian winters must be brutal! ;-)

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by jrwalte View Post
    As for rattles I'd say the cold can help reduce them. The cold is making the metal in your car contract and it will flex less.
    metal doesnt rattle. It resonates. Plastic on the other hand gets more brittle and plastic on plastic contacts are much more prone to rattle in the cold