Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound quality improving during winter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Sound quality improving during winter?

Kinda curious to see if it's just me or if it's actually a thing... but I've found that my sound system is sounding much much better now that the temperatures are dropping. It seems like there is more midbass up front, and my car isn't getting rattled from bass anymore. Anyone else or is it purely placebo? I haven't changed any of the settings so I don't see why else all these changes would occur.
    2014 Honda Accord LX
    JL Audio C2-650, Pioneer 12" Shallow Sub
    MMATS HiFi 6150, Rockford Fosgate R500X1D, Helix DSP Pro MK1

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Re: Sound quality improving during winter?

To be honest, I found my system suffers in the cold weather. Granted it's currently -26C (feels like -36C with wind chill), so a little on the extreme side. The system sounds like a speaker in a can at the moment. Hollow and harsh. When the vehicle warms up all the way, its still not great. The enjoyment of a Canadian winter.

3. Back To Top    #3

^^I agree - I tend to think the tune sounds better in warmer temperatures.

Sent from my ASUS Chromebook Flip C302 using Tapatalk

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, cold air is denser than warm air, sound travels faster and further, maybe this is what you're experiencing.

To blockrocker : YES, it's bloody C O L D here in Canada right now !

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Could be cold bass. I mean your subwoofer output typically drops when the temperatures go down as the suspension parts stiffen up (that’s my guess anyway) and spl drops. With less bass output your bass may blend better with your woofers/midbass drivers and you get better up front bass. When my SD3 subwoofer was new and the temperature dropped below 20 degrees, my sub output would be sometimes less than half to nothing in the single digit temperatures.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

6. Back To Top    #6

I live in the same city as Blockrocker... and it's effin' cold this week!
    Actually, I'm in Vancouver on a business trip all this week, and it's only slightly cold here...

Now, back to the OP's question; I am finding that my system sounds like crap when it's cold out.
    Maybe I'm just in a better mood when the weather is warm, so my perception is skewed...
    New Car... Stock Stereo

7. Back To Top    #7

Hmm... I wonder if somehow I changed stuff in my trunk to stop rattling without realizing it haha. Clearly the evidence here shows that it sounds worse in cold weather (which is honestly what I expected).
    2014 Honda Accord LX
    JL Audio C2-650, Pioneer 12" Shallow Sub
    MMATS HiFi 6150, Rockford Fosgate R500X1D, Helix DSP Pro MK1

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Nick

I notice it gets worse, much worse, if I dont change the tune to compensate. That being said, is your setup properly tuned? If not, the cold could be effecting the system, and could be doing so in a way that may be beneficial. When your setup is tuned properly though, almost any change is a step back

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

As for rattles I'd say the cold can help reduce them. The cold is making the metal in your car contract and it will flex less.

10. Back To Top    #10

I actually notice more rattles when cold. For example, if I play pink noise loud enough on my midbass speakers when it's cold out, I'll hear some rattles in my doors (LP of 65hz). I haven't done any sound-deadening on my doors yet. It almost sounds like it might be the door panel clips rattling. As soon as the temperature warms up though, the rattles go away completely.

I'd say that is the case in general as well - the warmer the interior is, the less rattles overall (not just from speakers).