Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anybody ran successfully the Helix DSP programming software on a Macbook

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: Has anybody ran successfully the Helix DSP programming software on a Macbook

Quote Originally Posted by Audiogal View Post
    Thanks everybody, now if I can get over the Apple sticker shock aspects that just may be the route I go since it seems to work.
    Keep in mind that the laptop will likely last a VERY long time, just as long as your old laptop, if not longer.

I work in the live event world and need both MacOS and Windows, I do it with a single 2017 MBP. I have unlicensed Win10 Pro running in BootCamp and use VMWare Fusion to boot up Win10 as a VM when needed. There are only a few times that I actually NEED to boot into Win10, but when I do, all the changes I made when running it as a VM are still there.

2. Back To Top    #12

Re: Has anybody ran successfully the Helix DSP programming software on a Macbook

I totally get the extended life cycle aspects. That is one reason I have iPhone and iPad devices to be able to hand down to the kiddos and there is still a lot of useful life left after i used them for 3-4 years or what ever.

I think I may try make my Laptop last a little while longer and save up for a MacBook. I do like the ecosystem aspects for sure.

The adapter thing is sort of a plus/minus thing that adds to the cost for sure.

I am not sure what wireless hec card is coming out that supports wireless. If that is true and it supports iOS that is an extra bonus to.

Fun times ahead !!!
    Just having fun playing in the car audio sandbox!

3. Back To Top    #13

Peter from PS sound runs helix software in a VM with zero issues as far as I know

4. Back To Top    #14

Thanks for all the help and info everyone. My main concern was if the DSP software would see the USB ports properly through the VM or other methods and it seems to based on the volunteered evidence.

Soooo.. i am going to save up for a MacBoo, the best one I can manage, and in the meantime I will hobble along with my PC laptop to get me by.
    Just having fun playing in the car audio sandbox!

5. Back To Top    #15

I use 13” macs both at work and home. I usually set the display to “show more” and for me the 13” is much more portable than 15-16” models.

Both for helix and omnimic are Windows only and work fine in VMs. The usb passthru for virtualbox is buggy and performance lags a little. Getting the display scaling with a Retina display is a bit tricky. I’ve had no problem with VMware fusion and Windows 10 and it’s quick.

passing in two vcpus and 4gb ram are enough.