Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anybody ran successfully the Helix DSP programming software on a Macbook

1. Back To Top    #1

Has anybody ran successfully the Helix DSP programming software on a Macbook

As per the subject, I am unfortunately going to be looking for a new laptop as mine is starting to cause major issues. It is an old MSI i7 machine that is about 9 years old so it did well.

I am very tired of the Windows updates and constant patches so I may be looking at a MacBook. I already have iPhone and iPad pro devices so it would fit into the ecosystem.

Sooo. has anybody ran successfully the Helix DSP software on a windows shell, VM or sim layer on a MacBook. I am just thinking out loud at the moment.

I wish I could run the DSP software on the iPad pro as that would be awesome. Having to use a Laptop is cumbersome to make minor tuning changes.
    Just having fun playing in the car audio sandbox!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Has anybody ran successfully the Helix DSP programming software on a Macbook

I have used it for a short time to get my crossovers set on my 2019 mbp via bootcamp worked without issue for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Has anybody ran successfully the Helix DSP programming software on a Macbook

Look into getting a used Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro or Yoga 3 Pro. You can get them on Ebay for as little as $200. I ended up getting both a Yoga 2 Pro and a Yoga 3 Pro and they are AWESOME for DSP tuning and REW measurements. I basically fold the device flat like a tablet and use it like a Windows tablet. Makes REW measures SO easy using the touchscreen while the laptop-in-tablet-mode is laying on your lap (won't interfere with measurements at all).

These devices are awesome. They both have 13.3" screens, so they are the perfect size for in-car tuning. The Loga 2 Pro I have has an i7 processor, 8GB RAM and a 512GB SSD drive (paid $250 with shipping). The Yoga 3 Pro has an Intel M5Y70, 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD drive. They also have backlit keyboard for when you need to use the device in laptop mode in the car while in a darkened garage. :-)

LOVE these devices for tuning.

I didn't WANT two devices and the Yoga 3 Pro is in better cosmetic shape, so I've been using it and will be putting the Yoga 2 Pro on Ebay, I guess. If interested, let me know and I'll give it to you for a good price (cheaper than I bought it for). THe screen is perfect, the keybaord has a little wear and the exterior has some scratches - it's not pretty, but it works perfectly and the screen is like new.

THey are about 1/2" thick and weigh between 2.5 and 3lbs.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

I have with virtual box, but it is buggy. I would suggest two installs on your macbook, one running mac os, one running windows. That way no issues. When I run it that way, it runs perfect without issues. Bootcamp is easy and free to use. Just use your license windows license from your old MSI laptop and you have a fully licensed windows install. I think I set about 30gb aside for my windows install.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Doug Dobson
    Vehicle
    2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Jeep JK, 2005 VW Touareg, 2012 Kia Optima SX, 1992 Jeep YJ, 1999 Silverado, 1992

I use a MacBook Air for everything at the office, so of course I use it with our software as well. Using Parallels if has been absolutely fine. I am also playing with Mac based software for the WiFi interface that should be available soon. It is no different than running it on Parallels. I also have an older MacBook that I have set up as dual boot and it works fine as well.

That said, most days I use a Surface Pro or a cheap Lenovo, because if I do happen to see anything funky I want to know it is the software and not the Mac trying to play Windows. This was often an issue with the last company I worked for.
    Doug Dobson

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks everybody, now if I can get over the Apple sticker shock aspects that just may be the route I go since it seems to work.

There is something about my being able to have a common ecosystem with my iOS devices that is appealing plus I have wanted to try out a MacBook for sometime.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Audiogal View Post
    Thanks everybody, now if I can get over the Apple sticker shock aspects that just may be the route I go since it seems to work.

There is something about my being able to have a common ecosystem with my iOS devices that is appealing plus I have wanted to try out a MacBook for sometime.
    I would suggest getting at least 1tb hard drive. They are expensive, but they are also nice. I have a macbook pro 2018 model and love it.

But like Doug, I also have a surface pro that I pull out and use quite often as well for car stuff.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    I would suggest getting at least 1tb hard drive. They are expensive, but they are also nice. I have a MacBook pro 2018 model and love it.

But like Doug, I also have a surface pro that I pull out and use quite often as well for car stuff.

I spent all my $$$ on amps and processor so affording two high-end laptops is not going to happen, plus the kids need clothes, lol. The base price for a 1TB 16" MacBook Pro in Canada is $3500.00. A 13" is to small for day to day stuff I would use it for.

I was actually looking at a MS Surface Pro 7 to use in my car instead of the iPad however because the Surface Pro is a PC platform I could not download Tidal music to it. So I walked over to the Apple store and get an iPad Pro 11" 512 GB and it works great but I cannot program the Helix with it.

9. Back To Top    #9

I too and a complete mac snob and hate the PC everything. But in this case i bought a cheap used PC laptop for about $150 and I only use for my Helix P-six. No way would i spend macbook prices to do this. Running it on the ipad OS i agree would be perfection.

Did everyone hear dobslob say the wifi interface was dropping this week? And it will run on macos and IOs.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Audiogal View Post
    I spent all my $$$ on amps and processor so affording two high-end laptops is not going to happen, plus the kids need clothes, lol. The base price for a 1TB 16" MacBook Pro in Canada is $3500.00. A 13" is to small for day to day stuff I would use it for.

I was actually looking at a MS Surface Pro 7 to use in my car instead of the iPad however because the Surface Pro is a PC platform I could not download Tidal music to it. So I walked over to the Apple store and get an iPad Pro 11" 512 GB and it works great but I cannot program the Helix with it.

I managed to convince my work that I needed a top of the line macbook (I teach some film and tv productions classes)....I would never buy this one with my own money. I would purchase a gently used one with 1 tb hard drive.

You also have to factor in that all of the new macbooks use usb-c so you need adapters for everything. Those add up in cost too.