Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Volvo V60 T6 R-Design

1. Back To Top    #61
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Re: 2015 Volvo V60 T6 R-Design

Update time, so since day 1 I never really liked using the factory tray to mount the amps, DSP etc. While it was not terribly flimsy, overall it was not that strong and due to the various bumps and such, was very restrictive as to where I could mount anything. Finally started to address that this past weekend...

First up, a cardboard template.

With that done, transferred that over to some 1/2" ply and cut it out.

It's a tight fit, but then I don't want it flopping about. There are 2 factory bolts that I am hoping to utilize in order to bolt it down, likely with some kind of a metal bracket on both sides. I've got some sound deadener and MLV on the way, also have some leftover CCF from the doors, so before it gets mounted I plan to install that beneath the board. I've got some black carpet on the way to cover it with (might have to trim it a little to fit with the carpet on, depends how thick the carpet is) and I am also debating adding sides, although not sure I will.

The other thing that bothered me with the previous installation, the wiring was a mess. OK, it was functional and no one could actually see it, but it was a mess. I am hoping with a blank slate to be able to tidy this up some. Ordered some firewall grommets and am trying to figure out how best to mount everything where I can easily access controls if needed, but also that it looks neat and the wiring is clean. At the moment I have this.

But, not set on it... open to suggestions... There is a space almost directly beneath the Volvo badge that the factory air compressor / fix a flat was, it's deep enough that I think I could put the power / ground distro blocks there and just have those completely hidden.

Eventually, I may also add some lighting and then replace the factory false floor with something with a plexi window / vents or something.

The other update is that I added an Android Auto / Car Play type add on to the factory head unit, while it works well and having access to multiple streaming apps, Google maps is nice. The problem is if I don't have the engine running, the screen shuts off and it also introduced some noise to everything. You can't hear the noise while playing music, but it's there.

So, that's where things stand today.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

2. Back To Top    #62
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

I prefer exposed wiring/distribution, with a removable beauty panel that goes around the amps to cover it up. This way you can show off your hard work, but then go stealthy.

3. Back To Top    #63
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

Hey man that's nice and all but this is a Car Audio website so we need updates on your garage.
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

4. Back To Top    #64
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    I prefer exposed wiring/distribution, with a removable beauty panel that goes around the amps to cover it up. This way you can show off your hard work, but then go stealthy.
    That's sort of what I am thinking with regards to longer term, replacing the false floor. I could make it a 2 piece whereby the first half has a window to see what is below, but is hinged to lift up for access.

Quote Originally Posted by Notloudenuf View Post
    Hey man that's nice and all but this is a Car Audio website so we need updates on your garage.
    Haha how rude of me... here you go...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220125_181832972.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	434.3 KB 
ID:	16838

Zero progress at all. Sucks. The snow we got last Monday got about 1/2" or so of ice on top of it. There was about a day of above freezing temperatures where some melted, then it froze again. Yesterday and today have been above freezing, but at this rate it's going to be a few more days until all this melts, then another week for the ground to dry out, at which point it will probably snow or rain again.

Stupid winter.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

5. Back To Top    #65
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

A little more progress today, drilled various holes for wiring to go through, then covered in carpet. Final layout will look much like this, the power and ground distribution blocks are mounted to the underside.

Name:	IMG-20220128-WA0007.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	326.9 KB 
ID:	16888

I'm going to add a quick disconnect on the main power and ground wires, so that if I need to remove it, I just disconnect and lift it all out as one piece.

Hopefully I can get the wiring neat and finished this weekend, then just waiting for the disconnect to arrive.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

6. Back To Top    #66
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Making some steady progress, got the amps and DSP mounted, ran power, ground and RCAs on the back of the panel, keeping the front neat and tidy.

Not much to see on the back, distribution blocks and wiring. I'm hoping to find a way to tidy this and secure it a little. May add some short legs to raise the board up a little, just to give them a bit of extra room.

Fronts coming together nicely, need to add ferrules to amp power connections, figure out speaker wire routing and then it's mostly finished.

With the trunk empty, decided to lay down some sound treatment on the metal.

Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

7. Back To Top    #67
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Progress, progress... Added a layer of Noico foam on top of the butyl tiles, while not crazy quiet back there it has made a noticeable, though as expected, not a huge difference (I have a Magnaflow muffler, it's definitely quieter):

Finished connecting everything on the floor itself, at some point I would like to do something a little neater with the speaker wire, but don't want to go cutting any before I know with certainty what I want to do:

With the bottom done, I considered cutting a window / vent into the factory false floor piece. But, while I can get one cheap enough from eBay.co.uk (about $100) shipping would suck, the part new is over $300, so I figured I won't cut into that but instead make a new one.

The front (or back, depending on your perspective) opens up for easy access to the amplifiers, at some point I plan to install a light under there to illuminate the Volvo logo / amps. I had to add some bracing under the back (or front) piece as it was bowing with the subwoofer on top. I'll likely add a little more, just for added security. The other thing is with the panel open, it does contact the subwoofer, not the cone, but the mounting ring, so not a huge deal, but I may install something to prevent it opening that far.

Next I need to find some matching carpet, install a handle of some kind and see if these clips are available separately (or, likely just unscrew and re-use these):

I then plan to order a small piece of plexi to insert as a window into the hinged piece. During daily use, I have an all weather trunk mat, but for shows, competition and so on I can remove that to have the window visible. The problem with this idea though, is I don't own a router, so I'll have to figure that out.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

8. Back To Top    #68
    Vehicle
    2015 Toyota Camry XSE V6

Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post

With the bottom done, I considered cutting a window / vent into the factory false floor piece. But, while I can get one cheap enough from eBay.co.uk (about $100) shipping would suck, the part new is over $300, so I figured I won't cut into that but instead make a new one.
    I ran into this problem too. I cut my OEM trunk trim so it would fit with the previous iteration of my subwoofer setup, now I'm regretting it.

The price to purchase the OEM trunk trim for my car is only about $120, but every place I've found it wants $300+ to ship it
    Oh well, guess I don't need the OEM trim right now anyhow.. It'd just be nice to have it in case I ever sell the car (and return it to stock).

Nice work!

9. Back To Top    #69
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Chris12 View Post
    It'd just be nice to have it in case I ever sell the car (and return it to stock).
    That's one of the other reasons I decided against cutting it, at some point I'll need to return the car to (as much as possible) stock, the biggest thing is keeping the various large trunk floor pieces somewhere in the meantime. Another reason I decided against it was it's some sort of plastic, maybe fiberglass, so likely not the easiest thing to cut without making a mess of it.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

10. Back To Top    #70
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Nothing to see here ...

Name:	IMG_20220211_154042_01.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	175.3 KB 
ID:	17064