Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Volvo V60 T6 R-Design

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

2015 Volvo V60 T6 R-Design

Sold my Audi A4 Avant last week, and while sad to see it go, it has gone to a great new home and it was time for something different, but the same, enter another white wagon, only this time in the shape of a 2015 Volvo V60 T6 R-Design. It's AWD with a 325HP turbocharged inline 6, only slightly heavier than my A4 was, it's a rocket, driving home from picking it up I had to constantly be careful of my speed as it was all too easy to be at 80+ Couple pictures of the car:

I already debadged it, other visual changes are going to be tinted windows and lower it about half an inch or so. I don't want it as low as my A4 was, but want it lower than the stock height it currently sits at.
    It came stock with the "Volvo High Performance" system, which is 3 way in the front doors, 2 in the rear and a center (I read somewhere that it is a 12 speaker set up, but I cannot figure out the 12th speaker as it has no factory sub). Eventually that will all be replaced with the below, and a Stereo Integrity SQL12 (not pictured):

So today, I decided to remove the door card to take a look at what I will be starting with. The tweeter in the sail panel just pops off, but it looks like the tweeter is somewhat sealed into the housing. In the picture below you can see the cross hatch pattern where it looks like the 2 halves were melted together. Since I don't want to demolish this, looks like I need to order some new tweeter housings:

The factory midrange is screwed to the doorcard on a little plastic mount, hopefully as long as there is enough depth (99% sure there is) then I can simply make my own mounting plate and install the 20MX in this location:

The midbass is mounted to the door itself, but located directly beneath the mid. Looks like plenty of depth to mount the TM65's so no major concerns there:

Here's where things get a little confusing, at least for me. So, the molex plug boot is in a sort of Z shape, getting 3 sets of wire through is going to be a massive headache. I had hoped to tap into the stock speaker wiring, I don't run huge amounts of power, so the stock wire should be fine for me and I will just splice my own wire into it inside the kick panel. But, at the moment I cannot figure out how it's wired (not yet pulled the molex plug, hoping I can get lucky). So, here is the wiring for the tweeter and mid:

The wires are the exact same color, even the plugs are identical. Here's the wiring going to the midbass:

4 wires, no clue why. I am going to try to find some wiring diagrams, hopefully that sheds some light on things and ideally I can use existing wire through the molex. I cannot stand trying to fish wires into the doors, so am hoping for some luck. Once I get that figured, I will deaden the outer skin as much as I can and then the inner skin (the drivers door rattles like crazy).
    Last picture is a quick measurement with REW of the stock system, all the EQ is flat (has a 5 band in the head unit). In all honesty, it does not sound that bad other than the complete lack of anything below 35Hz.

Over the next couple weeks I am hoping to pick up power cable and deadener and then start getting things installed. Make sure to follow to see all my screw ups!!

Last edited by naiku; 01-12-2020 at 04:54 PM.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2015 Volvo V60 T6 R-Design

Nice car, looks like reasonable starting locations, how high is the mid up the door card?

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

The mid is basically about an inch or two above where the midbass is located, see the white sticker above the midbass? It's about where the top of that stick is, maybe a little lower.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
    The mid is basically about an inch or two above where the midbass is located, see the white sticker above the midbass? It's about where the top of that stick is, maybe a little lower.
    That’s a shame, rainbowing strikes even bmw with the mids at the top of the door

5. Back To Top    #5
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Hopefully it won't be too bad, previous car I had the mids located in the kicks and rainbowing was very minimal.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

I messed with mids in a WRX one time, and with some aiming, the rainbow went away in there pretty quickly too. Had to tilt them more on axis because of being domes, but was a quick fix and sounded soooo good.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

Sweet new ride Ian! Looking forward to see/hear what you come up with

8. Back To Top    #8

Oooowweeeee. Sharp looking car!
    -- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle
    Alfa Romeo GT

Nice car, have a lot of safe driven kilometers!
    FOR FAST MOVING CONCERTS
    Team LBaudio
    Team BRAX
    Team SCB
    Team Car Audio Lab
    EMMA SLO head

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71