Thread: Door rattles - Resonix install & review

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Phil
    Vehicle
    08 AMG E63

Door rattles - Resonix install & review

Have had some rattles surface in my doors relatively recently. Pulled everything off and found that the butyl tape I used to secure the aluminum inserts had stretched and lost it's adhesion. This resulted in those inserts moving like a transducer. I'm going to be treating the interior door panels as well.

Hoping to finish this up for listening today.

Resonix materials used:
    CLD tiles
    FD1 CCF
    ResoNix Rope

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GC0ULfE.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	8770

Name:	DUTY0cs.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	8771

Inserts secured with CLD

Name:	CanxlMJ.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	8772

Name:	FtziB8v.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	8773

Name:	dMsBGmH.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	8774

Name:	Omop3ac.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	2.84 MB 
ID:	8775

Interior door panels treated. I put the rope and FD1 in various locations where panel components interfaced and had some play. Also felt taped all the door clips. Kinda hard to see in the pics.

Name:	XBQjeOW.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	8776

Name:	U5xi6xy.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	8777

Passenger door FD1

Name:	oCHM3wZ.jpg 
Views:	495 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	8779

Driver door FD1
    Last edited by forty5cal1911; 01-12-2020 at 02:52 PM. Reason: add images

COMAND NTG 2.0 - Mobridge DA2 > toslink > Helix DSP.2 - NVX JAD 800.4 - Scanspeak R3004 - Scanspeak 10F - NVX JAD 800.4 - Silver Flute W17RC38 - NVX JAD 1200.1 - AE IB10AU

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Phil
    Vehicle
    08 AMG E63

Re: Door rattles - Resonix install & review

Alright, so the quick follow up is we have success!

NONE
    of the previous ratting present now, however I've detected a slight internal buzz high in the driver side door only on a particular song seems to around 200 hz. Obviously going to be listening over the next several days but VERY pleased with the results for now.

COMAND NTG 2.0 - Mobridge DA2 > toslink > Helix DSP.2 - NVX JAD 800.4 - Scanspeak R3004 - Scanspeak 10F - NVX JAD 800.4 - Silver Flute W17RC38 - NVX JAD 1200.1 - AE IB10AU

3. Back To Top    #3

If you have a phone you can use as a source download a freq generator app (my iPhone one is called sonic) I can then play sweeps by swiping my finger up and down the keyboard and playing around with various freqs, this then allows me to play the exact frequency to accentuate the vibration/rattles, it works a treat! For example my front doors have a resonance at 96-98hz, it’s the door handle from the door mounted midbass! Can’t say I’m too worried as for the most part it makes very little impact on listening, but every little helps, especially when trying to get midbass to sound like it’s on the dash

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Phil
    Vehicle
    08 AMG E63

Thanks Dumdum! I'll give that tool a shot usually running sweeps in REW but this is much easier.

Wanted to post my impressions with the ResoNix materials.

As far as CLD goes it has done a great job of deadening those inserts. Not too much to say here it's as good or better than the SSA and SDS stuff I've used. Since I didn't dampen a large area I can't do direct comparison but this will be my go to material for any future needs.

I really want to key in on the FD1 ccf. This stuff was much softer and more pliable than I imagined, which was perfect for my application. Material was easy to cut with the backing on it. Because it was nice and pliable I had no difficulties getting it to contour. You will have to make some relief cuts depending on the aggressiveness of your contour. Material was somewhat forgiving if it stuck before I was ready to lay it down in that area but the adhesive is quite strong (a good thing!) and if it gets stuck you can have an issue getting it back up intact. My experience is that it has worked perfectly to decouple the interior door panel. Also helped quite a bit I imagine that the inserts aren't moving a quarter inch on every bass note as well.

Super happy with the results and a big shout out to Nick for providing quality materials to our community!