Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I use PVC end cap for mid pod

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: Can I use PVC end cap for mid pod

If you’re using a small end cap, the vent area needs to be at least 1/2 of the driver area. Otherwise you end up with big peaks in your response.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170511-midsnearfield.png 
Views:	203 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	8876

Make the vent the correct size and the response curve evens out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170616-mids-uncrossed-uneqd.png 
Views:	220 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	8877

2. Back To Top    #12
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

So you saying if the driver cone is 2.91" with an area of 26.6 then my vent should be at least 13.3?

3. Back To Top    #13

seems right. i said area because it could be differently shaped vents or multiple smaller vents.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    I'd vent through the lamp nipple because it would be better than nothing. just make sure any sound exiting out through it is attenuated by wherever it exits into. And put polyfil in the endcap. Also experiment with ocf too if you have it since you'll be vented in a crude aperiodic way. Venting the back of a pvc endcap worked great for my gb25's so no reason it won't work great for your mids.
    Its not better than nothing. By adding a very small vent, you just created a resonant mass of air, aka, a port. This will definitely cause fuckery in the frequency response

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    Its not better than nothing. By adding a very small vent, you just created a resonant mass of air, aka, a port. This will definitely cause fuckery in the frequency response
    Well, what I did with my endcaps didn't seem to cause any fuckery but it's also closer to aperiodic or IB than anything. It solved the problem I was having that was causing the gb25's to ring and not be happy crossed below 800And no one that has listened has mentioned any fuckery in the midrange. When tuning they didn't need anything drastic outside of a nudge here and there to flatten them out between 300 and 4000.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

I ended up trading the Hertz 700.3 for Focal K2 Power Slim 100 KRS. It only seemed right after buying the Focal Utopia Be 6.5 from Skizer

I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to verify these speakers are still best IB? I believe they are.

https://www.focal.com/sites/www.foca...ique-100kp.pdf