Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hint Hint DSP manufactures specifically Audiotec Fisher features we would to see

1. Back To Top    #21
    Real Name
    Nick

Re: Hint Hint DSP manufactures specifically Audiotec Fisher features we would to see

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post

The Helix does have an "auto-EQ" feature, but it only uses graphic EQ filters - not even PEQ filters. At the very least, it would be nice if they modified it to use the power of PEQ filters. Although, even with GEQ filters, I've hears some good things about it. I haven't tried it yet myself. It may be faster, but I can't imagine that it's going to hit my target curve better than doing in manually (or vie REW) with PEQ filters.
    I can promise you that itll hit your target better than you can, and do it in a fifth of the time or less. Watch my video on it where we do the Auto eq, then measure it in rew. Flat as a ruler, and can be done on a whole system in literally 5 minutes or so

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #22
    Real Name
    Nick

Re: Hint Hint DSP manufactures specifically Audiotec Fisher features we would to see

I also understand why audiotec Fischer wouldnt impliment tuning from a phone.. doing so is a major PITA, and their software has way to many features to pack into a phone app. You shouldnt be tweaking while driving anyways.

3. Back To Top    #23

Quote Originally Posted by Dan17ExplLtd View Post
    I love both of these ideas. From your keyboards to AF's ears!

We are a trying, some really good alternate suggestions as well. I am encouraged in the fact that AF has a positive customer feedback history and they sound like they are somewhat AGILE on their product release road map to incorporate some low hanging fruit stuff into releases. A tablet with a Knob would be awesome. I kind of have that now with the director and iPad combo.
    Just having fun playing in the car audio sandbox!

4. Back To Top    #24

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    I can promise you that itll hit your target better than you can, and do it in a fifth of the time or less. Watch my video on it where we do the Auto eq, then measure it in rew. Flat as a ruler, and can be done on a whole system in literally 5 minutes or so

The AUto Eq in my car with some salt and pepper is doing a really good job, so I can vouch for that statement in my setup. Can it be refined and improved, you bet but it does a great job and very quickly too!!

5. Back To Top    #25
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Audiogal View Post
    The AUto Eq in my car with some salt and pepper is doing a really good job, so I can vouch for that statement in my setup. Can it be refined and improved, you bet but it does a great job and very quickly too!!
    Yup. I havent touched rew in my own car since I have tried the Auto EQ. That was a couple months ago

6. Back To Top    #26
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

I used the Auto EQ in my truck recently and have been trying out different curves to see which one I like. Way easier than doing that with REW. I need to spend more time on my crossovers prior to using the auto eq still, but with just setting basic 80hz/350hz/3500hz crossovers, it did a VERY good job.

The only thing I didn't like about the AUTO RTA was that it fully boosted a bunch of the lower frequencies on my tweeters and midranges. I know with the crossover of the tweeter, having 20hz and others with a 6db boost isn't doing a whole lot, but I still didn't like it. The midrange at 350hz might be impacted a little more on the higher lower frequencies. I turned them all back down.

I would like the option (after reading Andy's gain setting guide) to have software adjustable gain on the input side per channel. I see it is available as an Analog, or digital, or aux option, but not just left or just right. Or I just haven't found it. I know I can then go to each output mapping and turn the percentage down, but that is also harder to deal with.

Andy's gain setting for reference: https://www.facebook.com/andy.wehmey...66996876664965
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

7. Back To Top    #27

I'll have to try the Helix auto-tune. I'm skeptical that it will hit my curve better and match left/right better than I can manually with PEQ bands (especially if I were to use a lot of PEQ bands!), but we'll see. I've gotten mine so close (while also matching left/right almost perfectly) that I honestly can't imagine it will do any better with GEQ bands alone.

I'll give it a shot in a few days and post the results though - results with my manual PEQ tune and the Helix auto-tune with GEQ.

i have NO DOUBT that it will get close *quicker*, but not so sure it will be as accurate as I can with PEQ bands (even though it would take me a LOT longer). But for me, speed isn't the goal - accuracy is. If doing this professionally, I can certainly see why speed would be important, but that's a non-issue for me and my personal car.

Trust me - I truly do hope I'm wrong - but just not seeing how it could be done using GEQ bands alone. It's not magic - it's simply adjusting each GEQ band automatically. If there is a peak/dip that a GEQ band can't hit just right, then it simply can't fix it like I could with a PEQ band. Now whether or not the difference would be audible, I'm not sure. :-) But will find out!

8. Back To Top    #28

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    I would like the option (after reading Andy's gain setting guide) to have software adjustable gain on the input side per channel. I see it is available as an Analog, or digital, or aux option, but not just left or just right. Or I just haven't found it. I know I can then go to each output mapping and turn the percentage down, but that is also harder to deal with.

Andy's gain setting for reference: https://www.facebook.com/andy.wehmey...66996876664965
    I'm not following - what is the advantage of adjusting the channel gain on the input side vs the output side of the DSP (per channel via the main Helix screen)?

9. Back To Top    #29
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    I'm not following - what is the advantage of adjusting the channel gain on the input side vs the output side of the DSP (per channel via the main Helix screen)?

That is a good question that I am not sure I know the answer to or if my thinking is correct on it.

My thoughts were that if you have the output side setup with your level matching levels for fine tuning purposes after the amplifier gain setting (left tweeter will still have to be lowered by x dB's to match right etc.), then messing with the output levels may mess with the overall tune and it is easier to mess up as you have to make sure you adjust all that side appropriately.

The input side, you could just adjust all of the left side with a simple increase 1dB or decrease 1dB as appropriate.

But, I don't know. Andy's guide just suggested the input side to adjust and I am sure there is a reason for it or he wouldn't have said it.

Edit* Here is what Andy says about input vs. output

It may be easier to do this with input level than output level because the left input level will adjust the entire left channel. Same for the right channel. If you do this with the output channels, adjust the levels of ALL of the right or left front channels by the same amount to center the image.
    Last edited by Jdunk54nl; 01-09-2020 at 04:05 PM.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

10. Back To Top    #30

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    That is a good question that I am not sure I know the answer to or if my thinking is correct on it.

My thoughts were that if you have the output side setup with your level matching levels for fine tuning purposes after the amplifier gain setting (left tweeter will still have to be lowered by x dB's to match right etc.), then messing with the output levels may mess with the overall tune and it is easier to mess up as you have to make sure you adjust all that side appropriately.

The input side, you could just adjust all of the left side with a simple increase 1dB or decrease 1dB as appropriate.

But, I don't know. Andy's guide just suggested the input side to adjust and I am sure there is a reason for it or he wouldn't have said it.
    Philosophy aside the new virtual channel mapping does allow for this type of left vs right group adjustment if you care to use it on a single slider. Individual output channels can still be adjusted if required as before.

Same applies to multiple sub channels being able to be adjusted with a simple common slider across all sub channels.