Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Erin's Audio Corner (my new site/YouTube page)

1. Back To Top    #71
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Re: Erin's Audio Corner (my new site/YouTube page)

Quote Originally Posted by erinh View Post
    One thing I have done differently from what I've seen is my polar spectrograms. We typically see spectrograms for a speaker "linearized" in to a rectangular shape. I was thinking, it would be neat to actually represent the data the way it comes from the speaker; in a 360° manner.
    Your polar spectrograms are wonderful! So much more intuitive than the rectangular ones. So obvious now that you made one, like why were they rectangular to begin with? I hope this becomes a thing!

They also look really, really polished. I love the formatting choices you made.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

2. Back To Top    #72

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Zazzi View Post
    Your polar spectrograms are wonderful! So much more intuitive than the rectangular ones. So obvious now that you made one, like why were they rectangular to begin with? I hope this becomes a thing!

They also look really, really polished. I love the formatting choices you made.
    Thanks! And I agree. It is much easier for me to visualize the performance this way because it's more natural. I was actually in bed a few nights ago thinking "why don't we ever see spectrograms in a 360 degree view". It took a bit of google-fu to figure out how to do what I wanted but now that I've got the script written I can use this for all future reviews as well.
    -- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/

3. Back To Top    #73

Erin - If I were to send you a few car speakers, would you be willing to use your cool gear to test them? For example, I have a bunch of 6x9's that I'd love to see real comparisons of (CDT Audio, Kenwood Excelon, Audiofrog GS690, etc). I know they aren't "high end" speakers, but that is kind of the point. In my limited testing (simple freq response graphs at listening position in car and "by ear" feelings), they all perform very similarly. I'd like to see how they *really* compare though. :-)

I'm waiting on a new pair of the top-tier CDT 6x9's (the "ES" level) - once they arrive and I get them installed, I would be willing to send the others to you for testing.

Although, I'm not really sure if you are interested in testing this "level' of gear being that it's "lower end" stuff - which is why I'm asking. :-) Hell, I may even include a few 3.5 coaxials and/or smaller widebands if interested (Illusion Audio C3CX, Hybrid Audio L3SE, Kenwood Excelon 3.5" coaxial, maybe even AUdiofrog GS25's).

Curious what type of stuff you are interested in testing...

Thanks for your hard work!

4. Back To Top    #74

You can tell from my reviews that I test all sorts of things. From $5 midrange drivers to $400 midwoofers to $1800 speakers... anything in between. Don't make the assumption that I only test the "expensive" stuff.

That said, I've got some others who I am in talks with. So I am not looking for anything else to test right now.

Follow my blog:

5. Back To Top    #75

Quote Originally Posted by erinh View Post
    You can tell from my reviews that I test all sorts of things. From $5 midrange drivers to $400 midwoofers to $1800 speakers... anything in between. Don't make the assumption that I only test the "expensive" stuff.

That said, I've got some others who I am in talks with. So I am not looking for anything else to test right now.
    Ok, cool - if you ever change your mind, let me know - I have all sorts of stuff laying around right now. :-)

6. Back To Top    #76

I ordered this speaker last week in hopes that it would be a diamond in the rough and that if it were, people might be interested enough to buy it through my Amazon affiliate link and I could use that money to get some real cool speakers to test. Well, that isn't gonna happen. You can read my review in the link below:
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/lou...ers/jamo_s807/

Some highlights (or lowlights, really):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jamo1.png 
Views:	125 
Size:	303.2 KB 
ID:	12057

Name:	jamo4.png 
Views:	131 
Size:	327.5 KB 
ID:	12056

Name:	jamo3.png 
Views:	134 
Size:	468.6 KB 
ID:	12055

Name:	jamo2.png 
Views:	116 
Size:	332.7 KB 
ID:	12054

Follow my blog:

7. Back To Top    #77
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Erin, you ever think about testing some CDT brand speakers? They could have some hidden gems in their lineup. Lots of high end drivers perform well as they should but there isn’t much reliable objective information on the lesser know cheaper to buy car audio brands. Most are probably shit but you never know.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

8. Back To Top    #78

I've been busy. Posted a few video reviews of loudspeakers to my YT channel which you can watch if you're interested.

But I know no one here seems to care about loudspeakers... everyone wants to know how far they can push a 3.5 inch midrange. Right?

A forum member here is sending me a set of the AD W800NEO to test as well. So don't worry, I am still testing drivers. I've just been focusing more on loudspeakers because that's where my real interest lies. Since the W800NEO has received a lot of praise lately and the owner was nice enough to offer, I thought it worthwhile to see how the performance actually stacks up.

And in other news, Klippel released their new build along with some updated modules overnight. I am now using their latest Multitone Distortion module (MTON) with In-Situ Room Compensation (ISC) module to get true distortion performance in the farfield. Why is this special? Because measuring in the nearfield reduces noisefloor (reflections, mainly) but it isn't far enough to get the true speaker summation of a multi-way speaker. Meaning, in the nearfield you are biased toward one speaker or another. It's an OK way to get performance but it's not as accurate as gathering the data in the farfield.

With MTON I am able to use an IEC or CEA-2010 standard to determine the maximum SPL It takes some time to set this up but having the ability to provide a real actual max SPL based on a real standard (rather than a method that everyone disagrees with and is not accepted) is worth it in the end. Here's some discussion on one standard: https://www.klippel.de/fileadmin/kli...ews/Electrical and Mechanical Measurements of Loudspeakers and Sound System Equipment.pdf

There are short signal max SPL versions as well as long-term max SPL (my favorite). There are, naturally, some caveats to the testing. Such as little bookshelf speakers are being sent 20-20kHz signal but I can alter that. I am currently re-running a test on the Neumi BS5 with an 80-20kHz signal and it's (obviously) able to take more voltage before it hits the max long-term SPL than it can with a 20-20k signal. So, I may wind up performing a dual-test in these cases. But we will see.

Either way, it took some time for Klippel to deliver the latest update but I am on top of it and already getting some excellent information from the modules.

I just made this short video to give you an idea of what these modules allow me to do.

First... Turn down your volume! I play a multitone signal twice in this video and it’s gonna be pretty loud.

Follow my blog:

9. Back To Top    #79

Frickin' sharks with frickin' laser beams... Gearing up for testing the AD W800NEO. Don't forget to hit the subscribe button and notification button to be notified when I finally release the data/review.

Follow my blog:

10. Back To Top    #80

Few more videos posted. Make sure to subscribe and hit the notifications bell so you will be alerted when I post more videos.

Bose 901 speaker review:

Philharmonic BMR DIY speaker review:

The Audio Development W800NEO review should be posted within the next couple days.

Follow my blog: