Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Erin's Audio Corner (my new site/YouTube page)

1. Back To Top    #61
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

Re: Erin's Audio Corner (my new site/YouTube page)

Quote Originally Posted by erinh View Post
    I’ll keep that in mind!
    DO NOT use his screwdriver!!!

2. Back To Top    #62

Quote Originally Posted by SublimeZ View Post
    I was just trying to be nice! Now you’ve made it obvious I had no such intentions! Gosh!!!!
    -- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/

3. Back To Top    #63
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by SublimeZ View Post
    Well, if the screwdriver is cleaned really well it wouldn't be that bad but just to be safe I NEVER touch any of Al's screwdrivers when I'm at his house
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

4. Back To Top    #64

Just an update...

I purchased a mic stand over a month ago. After 2 shipping issues, I finally got the 3rd one and it was good to go. I also ordered some speaker stands and planned to use one for speaker testing. But after doing some testing I realized that was a no go. The stand was a bit shaky at above 6 feet. Plus, I wanted something a bit easier for takedown and set up. So I cannibalized my basketball goal (I need a new one anyway ). I buried the pole about 2 feet in the ground and rigged up a platform from HDPE and Plywood (to be sealed soon). The platform can also be swapped out to accommodate larger speakers (floorstanders laid on their side to capture vertical response). The pole is very sturdy and can be removed from the ground and placed in my storage area between tests.

The speaker stand is now at 8.5 feet off the ground and 9 feet away from the patio cover. Nearly everything I test will be reflection free to 9 feet. Which puts the first reflection at about 12 ms; or about 80hz. Doubling that means good resolution above 160hz. That’s good. Real good. More than adequate when you consider I will be using a ground-plane measurement for LF response and "stitch" that to the FF measurement. As for external noise; I live in out in the country. So it's mostly quiet. The software/hardware is smart enough to ignore most noises and multiple sweeps will help keep them from sneaking in to my measurements. IOW, I don't have any concerns here.

I tested hoisting up a 50# bag of sand. That wasn't easy. But was do-able. I'm gonna need a crane, though, if I ever test a floorstander that has significant weight to it. But I'll burn that bridge when I get there.

Here's a few pictures with my 6 foot ladder and myself as a reference.

The last picture is of the mic stand. This sucker is a beast. Can be stood to almost 8 feet tall and the mic can reach higher when the boom is angled.

Here's a link if anyone is wanting to see more info.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	93848007_10101059589347033_6534346828769394688_o.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	10267

Name:	93794224_10101059589381963_7270136913405673472_o (1).jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	10266

Name:	93660125_10101059770513973_6216053579921227776_o.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	251.2 KB 
ID:	10264

Name:	93675027_10101058744036043_1850102908448669696_o.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	393.1 KB 
ID:	10265

Follow my blog:

5. Back To Top    #65
    Real Name
    Nick

I really want to know what your neighbors think lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

6. Back To Top    #66

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    I really want to know what your neighbors think lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    They've seen enough of my car audio antics to not care anymore.

Follow my blog:

7. Back To Top    #67

I can hear them now.... "Uh oh, Erin is trying to reach out to aliens again...." (it looks like some sort of "contact" gizmo). ;-)

8. Back To Top    #68

I'd be more concerned about the constant source of pink noise if I were them. With some drivers, it gets loud enough to sound like a jet taking off.

Follow my blog:

9. Back To Top    #69
    Real Name
    SMOKE
    Vehicle
    2006 ZO6 2008 F150

Subbing. Good stuff here.

Lemans Blue ZO6. Pioneer HU, Focal and Dayton drivers, JL VXi, JL XD, TW5's...and on and on...

10. Back To Top    #70

FINALLY!!!!! I have finally completed my review of the Buchardt S400. I have spent countless hours... literally months worth of working through test methods and configurations, writing MATLAB scripts to post-process the data... it's been crazy. But now I have something to show for it.

https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/lou...400_bookshelf/

One thing I have done differently from what I've seen is my polar spectrograms. We typically see spectrograms for a speaker "linearized" in to a rectangular shape. I was thinking, it would be neat to actually represent the data the way it comes from the speaker; in a 360° manner. Or occasionally we will see a polar plot with a single line representing a frequency, maybe with a few lines to represent multiple frequencies overlaid. But nothing that is really intuitive. So, I created these new polar plots for horizontal and vertical spl mapping of the speaker's radiation pattern both vertically and horizontally. Two versions of each. One is absolute output and the other is relative to the 0 degree axis. Not sure if anyone here will appreciate it as much as I am proud of it. And I'm sure someone will have something to say about how they prefer a different color or whatever... but dangit, I'm proud and I'm leaving it as is because it looks good to me. I think it's a better way of viewing the data. Some may not prefer it. But that's why I've offered the standard versions as well. Anyway, make sure to use the legend in the top left to get your bearings on the speaker direction relative to the radiation pattern.

I plan to make a video review but that's gonna be a bit. For now, this written review will have to do.

I hope you guys get as much out of this as I have put in to it. I need a friggin' break now...

Follow my blog: