Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Erin's Audio Corner (my new site/YouTube page)

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: Erin's Audio Corner (my new site/YouTube page)

LOL. "Your food is getting cold...you've got one minute"

2. Back To Top    #12

Listening back to that part, it always catches me off guard.
    -- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/

3. Back To Top    #13

Very cool and a good first start Great job being creative!!!

I was thinking about something like this the other day. It would be cool to overlay the polar plot of a source signal and the reproduced signal if you can get it to that level of measurement consistency and accuracy. If you have music you can create the source polar plot then you should be able to measure it as well theoretically with the correct microphone array.

It sounds like the AGC circuit is chasing the signal changes on the microphone and is more pronounced between quite and quick transient passages or something is lagging the signal. Maybe it is youtube codec issues.Something is going on, lol.

As a suggestion, I would try turning off the rear mic or setting the gain way down. The rear reflected signals will most likely add additional information that will smear in the post processing in the mic array potentially causing the stereo image to be off in a closed environment. This mic will capture audio in a totally different way than how we would hear due to the polar plot of the combined mics in the array.

Do you know the S/N of the mic array?

Certain microphone arrays have a minimal distance (critical distance) to the microphone to allow the proper forming of a sound pressure field to determine TDOA information to derive direction and other aural cue parameters in the near field. The directional nature of each mic helps somewhat but to derive TDOA (time direction of arrival) between each mic resulting in fine direction cues certain distances need to be met and is partially based on the sampling rate of the A/D among the physics of it all. The closer the microphones are to each other the harder it is to do as the time difference between mics is very small. So I am not surprise that the granularity is not quite what you may expect for sound stage placement.

The car manufactures may have a body of work to read about when it comes to microphones in a car and placement including direction discrimination to support passenger specific voice command implementations. Not exactly the same but they are also dealing with near field microphone performance and measurement issues.

Bravo and awesome and I hope you get it to work to your satisfaction. I am keenly watching and listening.
    Just having fun playing in the car audio sandbox!

4. Back To Top    #14

I finally got started on the site. Have only had time to get one of my old reviews brought over to the new site so far. It’s gonna take a while to get all the others moved but it’s a start. 👍

https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/dri...00-drive-unit/

Major thanks to Robert McIntosh for helping me understand an entirely new format.

Follow my blog:

5. Back To Top    #15

After wavering a bit on what to use for measurement hardware/software, I have decided to go back to using Klippel products. I plan to do what I did before which was provide standard data such as impedance, FR, Distortion, Compression, linear xmax, etc. The sweet thing is... this time I'll be using a laser to more accurately measure T/S parameters and notably linear excursion; something too many manufacturers spec incorrectly. I am currently awaiting the final quote from Klippel, though I fear seeing the bill. LOL. I have toiled over creating a gofundme and as much as I hate to appear needy, in order to do what I want to do I may need to do so. But we shall see what the final bill is.

I have also started writing up scripts in Matlab using some of the data available here that I will use to create graphs in the way that I deem most useful (some of the Klippel default outputs in the past were not up to my standard). You can see a couple examples of what I'll be providing below (I used some loudspeaker data posted on another forum).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example FR.png 
Views:	188 
Size:	311.7 KB 
ID:	9201

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example spect.png 
Views:	199 
Size:	748.3 KB 
ID:	9202

Follow my blog:

6. Back To Top    #16
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Very well done. I am excited to see where you take this website. I'm still learning and to have resources from guys like you is invaluable. Honest reviews from no-biased people with experience to share is always a breath of fresh air. Thanks for putting your time into things we all get to benefit from.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Erin, do you need anything from MSS? I currently have it suspended and will probably delete it altogether in the near future.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by erinh View Post
    I have toiled over creating a gofundme and as much as I hate to appear needy, in order to do what I want to do I may need to do so. But we shall see what the final bill is.
    Lets be real, just start the gofund me lol

9. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by erinh View Post
    For those who don't "do" Facebook...

One of the things I want to do for my speaker reviews is to record the stereo sound like you are actually *in* my room or car, hearing it first hand. I have binaural mics but they aren't good for higher SPL recordings and the setup to make sure I get repeatable measurements is a pain. Repeatable is key. So this is what I‘ve settled on:

Zoom H3-VR
    https://amzn.to/309YcZO

I will place it at the seated position and use its built-in binaural processing to record the sound system. The audio will be published to a link and most likely my YouTube page. The idea is that, over time, I will have amassed enough of these “virtual system recordings” that people can coNo are characteristics of the speakers. It will not replace a speaker in your room but it should give a reasonable baseline to draw some conclusions about the performance; especially in regards to interaction with the room when it comes to speaker directivity (I.e., a highly directional waveguide vs an omnidirectional speaker). Additionally, it’ll be an easy way to discuss things to listen for in songs as well as compare differences in DSP settings (think: room correction vs without).

The listener will have to listen back with headphones to get the desired effect. But ... it's pretty dang awesome.

I’ve attached one of my test files from last night. I’m still learning this tool to determine the best balance between mic sensitivity and recorded SPL capability. But it’s very promising. Give it a listen. But remember: use headphones.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IV...VQYl6W6ag9uGj7

I will test this device out in my home theater tonight, where I expect the difference between left and right to be more apparent (in a car, the soundstage is limited in width by the physical dimensions of the car; you can't get wider than about 15 degrees on the left and the right side is as wide as 45 degrees so it's a very asymmetrical stage, even with using time alignment and level matching to help center up the vocalist between the two sides).
    HA-glad to see you are back goofing around. I had no idea who was still around these days.

Pretty cool, who would think this stuff is becoming more mainstream and here ambisonics, ambiophonics, etc was something that got people all twisted up years ago on DIYMA and now we have ambisonic mics and Dolby Atmos in HT.

I'd be interested in how this turns out, it isn't a dummy head but looks interesting.

10. Back To Top    #20
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

Looking forward to your testing bro.
    I could supply a couple interesting drivers for testing once you are up and running.