Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Erin's Audio Corner (my new site/YouTube page)

1. Back To Top    #1

Erin's Audio Corner (my new site/YouTube page)

Many of you know that I used to do speaker/driver testing for a number of years for DIYMA before moving on to creating my own site (medleysmusings). I took the last couple years off due to personal reasons. But I'm gearing back up to do something big, at least for me. I’ve been itching to change things up and move my review format to YouTube and also expand out of raw driver testing and instead provide a wider range of information. So, that's what I'm doing.

The core of my efforts will focus on product reviews and tutorials (i.e., how to use a DSP, how to tune, what to listen for, etc) along with some other miscellaneous things. I will continue to provide objective data when I can/where it makes sense and I plan to do that as a supplement to the YouTube format; providing the data via a new website. I have a long list of ideas that I’ve collected over years. I think I have a few ideas for my reviews you all will really dig.

I have created a Facebook Group page for those who want to follow it. This page will be a way for me to update everyone on progress I make toward completing reviews. If I get a new piece of hardware to test I’ll share it. Links will be posted to reviews. That sort of stuff. It’ll be an extension of my YouTube review page because, frankly, it’s easier to support conversation here than it is on YouTube. Here’s the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/607627396679113/

To be entirely transparent, I hope to be ad-driven at some point and also do some affiliate marketing (i.e., Amazon, Parts-Express, etc) so I can use some of the advertising revenue toward purchasing new test equipment and products to test/review. I don’t see me ever actually making money; breaking even would be nice. I’ve already sunk nearly a grand in to what I need to get going. In order to get to the point where I can monetize videos through YouTube, however, I’ll need to hit 1k subscribers, and some crazy number of hours viewed per month. So, I ask you all, if you are interested in any of the stuff I’ve done in the past or you just want to support what I’m doing, go ahead to my YouTube page and click the subscribe button. I don’t have anything out there at this moment in the way of reviews but I’m already working on some really, really cool stuff. And if you are interested in the items I review in the future, feel free to click any links I provide to my affiliate advertisers so I can get a small percentage of the purchase fee (hey, you were gonna buy it anyway). All that helps me keep this thing rolling and keep me from going in debt in the process.

Here’s a link to my YouTube page:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW_..._as=subscriber

And that’s it… I just ask you to bear with me. I’m not a video editor so I don’t expect to knock this stuff out of the park my first few attempts. But over time, with your feedback, I will hopefully improve the final product and provide an entertaining and educational set of videos.
    Thanks,
    Erin
    -- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

Re: Erin's Audio Corner (my new site/YouTube page)

Look forward to your tutorials on tuning.

Subscribed (to youtube that is)

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    2023 Mazda CX-5

subscribed!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    2018 Ford Mustang GT Base 6 speaker set-up

subscribed and good luck, looking forward to your content...

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh yess

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Vehicle
    4Runner & Altima Coupe

SPAM!!!
    I've got a budget of $1,000. That should be more than enough.

7. Back To Top    #7

Subscribed!

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Eric

Like it Erin... I'll be following along for sure! The "what to listen for" particularly interests me.

BTW, you looked pretty good on the BMX bike... you still ride?

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks! I was pretty good, if I say so myself. Most of those clips were taken in 2001/2002 for a video magazine and those were the outtakes. I'd love to have a copy of that video but that company is long gone. I haven't ridden in a couple years. I had back surgery in 2007 and that pretty much ended my BMX career. I rode every once in a while after that but nothing like I did before. The bike is still hanging in my garage, though. One of these days I'd like to get it fixed back up so I can cruise around on it again.

Follow my blog:

10. Back To Top    #10

Erin's Audio Corner (my new site/YouTube page)

For those who don't "do" Facebook...

One of the things I want to do for my speaker reviews is to record the stereo sound like you are actually *in* my room or car, hearing it first hand. I have binaural mics but they aren't good for higher SPL recordings and the setup to make sure I get repeatable measurements is a pain. Repeatable is key. So this is what I‘ve settled on:

Zoom H3-VR
    https://amzn.to/309YcZO

I will place it at the seated position and use its built-in binaural processing to record the sound system. The audio will be published to a link and most likely my YouTube page. The idea is that, over time, I will have amassed enough of these “virtual system recordings” that people can coNo are characteristics of the speakers. It will not replace a speaker in your room but it should give a reasonable baseline to draw some conclusions about the performance; especially in regards to interaction with the room when it comes to speaker directivity (I.e., a highly directional waveguide vs an omnidirectional speaker). Additionally, it’ll be an easy way to discuss things to listen for in songs as well as compare differences in DSP settings (think: room correction vs without).

The listener will have to listen back with headphones to get the desired effect. But ... it's pretty dang awesome.

I’ve attached one of my test files from last night. I’m still learning this tool to determine the best balance between mic sensitivity and recorded SPL capability. But it’s very promising. Give it a listen. But remember: use headphones.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IV...VQYl6W6ag9uGj7

I will test this device out in my home theater tonight, where I expect the difference between left and right to be more apparent (in a car, the soundstage is limited in width by the physical dimensions of the car; you can't get wider than about 15 degrees on the left and the right side is as wide as 45 degrees so it's a very asymmetrical stage, even with using time alignment and level matching to help center up the vocalist between the two sides).

Follow my blog: