Thread: Time delay

1. Back To Top    #1

Time delay

I played around with it for the very first time and, yes it bloody works , I had been reading about it for a while but now I have experienced it I am impressed.

Is it right that a one millisecond delay can change the sound that much? Well move it from the sides and place it all across the dash, I'd have thought 1ms imperceptible, but I guess it is the interaction of the sound waves.

Shame for the passengers

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Time delay

Put it this way, this weekend I adjusted a European championship winning cars right sub/midbass (it only uses 4 speakers total) by 14cm and the difference to the midbass dynamics and focus were night and day, when everything comes together it makes a huge difference! The full range drivers had a stunning job made of their timing by the cars owner, but no one had noticed until I got smaart out that the midbass was just slightly off...

the car is a freak... 8” €100 shallow drivers in 0.6cuft door enclosures and a pair of uranium full range drivers makes for an awesome sounding car, and it uses budget ground zero amps too... and a budget hu... it has a dsp ultra but only because they need the channels, could equally use a dsp.mini... it’s quite amazing what I could improve on the car with a small spend (a topping D10 would make it loads better for example) but unvelievably sq isn’t it’s priority
    Last edited by dumdum; 08-09-2020 at 05:11 PM.

3. Back To Top    #3

I should add that’s approx 0.4msec on a single midbass driver to make a big difference to a world class car

4. Back To Top    #4
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Yep, time delay is amazing!

To add another cool story: I tuned a car recently that has a rear speaker touching driver's seat headrest. Conventional tuning left the sound pulling directly to the back left where that speaker is because it was about six inches from your head. I changed the time delay of that rear channel by ~1ms and the stage anchored back to the front dashboard. It was fun to slowly slide the delay and feel the stage shift front/rear in real time.

To put it in perspective, 1ms of delay is about 13" (34cm) of physical distance.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

5. Back To Top    #5

Not sure if you have seen this or not, but you might find it useful/helpful:

-- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Al
    Vehicle
    2003 Super Charged Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner 2.7

I used the time alignment function on my pioneer it set the distances which was nice but its auto eq isnt made for a "live" set up
    lol it turned by basss to -24 max and my tweeters were extremely bright
    but the distances were close I measured left those and retuned

and yes the sound difference is amazing
    Enjoy what you have. There is always more but its not the same as you owning yours!!