1. Back To Top    #21
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

Re: My 2016 Transit Connect SQ build

Quote Originally Posted by preston View Post
    Hey Captain,

I hate to be a nut swinger but you have demoed more equipment and won more car audio comps than anyone else I'm aware of on the forum - I can only dream of having the budget and wherewithal to demo that many drivers in and out of the car.. I wanted to ask you a couple of questions but first want to thank you (and Erin) for turning me on to the Satori drivers. I put the MR13P's in my car and was so impressed I'm putting a pair in my truck as well. Its an excellent driver for the price point but what really puts me over the moon is that you chose them for a super high end install when you could have used anything (including the Accutons). I don't mind spending money but when drivers get up to $400+ apiece I tend to balk a little bit. And you now continue to use the 16P as your mid-range. I have also put some Satori 9.5" woofers in aperiodic boxes in my doors and they have been amazing so 3 cheers for the brand.

I just wanted to ask you a few questions -

1) You were very hot on Ribbon tweeters for awhile. Have you moved on from them or are you mid -transition ? Obviously the Scan Illuminator is going to be an amazing tweeter, but do you feel its working better for you than the ribbons or was it more an aesthetic choice ? I don't suppose you'd be willing to tell us where you cross a nice set of large format tweeters like that ? Are you done with ribbons or are they still in the mix ?

2) Why did you move on from the B&W ? Was it the automobile environment ? Do you feel like the 16P is a step back from the more exotic B&W ?

Sorry, I totally missed this post.

I am a bit of a wild man when it comes to my car audio. I have a relentless pursuit of my ideal sound in the car and I am constantly pushing to reach that goal. The Satori lineup is outstanding all around and I'm not surprised you are enjoying them very much.

I have not necessarily moved on from them. The RAAL's still best most everything I have heard when comparing in the home demo room. They are a little more challenging in the car due to the nature of their reflections as compared to a typical dome tweeter. I am more just experimenting with different types of drivers to see what performs best in my vehicle in the locations I can put them. I typically cross in the 2.5khz range but that is a function of the midrange they are mated with, their size/dispersion characteristics and their performance in the upper midrange (break up, distortion, rising response, etc that may need to be dealt with). The ribbons are certainly still in the mix.
    As for the MR16P, I wouldn't say it is a step back from the B&W, it's more of a step to the side. They have different designs which provide different advantages with each. The Satori is a little smoother in the upper midrange, has a much lower FS, can be crossed much lower....The B&W has more "presence" due to its response and has a good bit more sensitivity (and cone area) but also has a higher FS and QTS and requires a higher xover point. For the record, I'm not necessarily done with the B&W either- I'm still doing testing in my car currently

2. Back To Top    #22
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

I feel that my midrange-highs in 2018 were the best I've ever had (with the B&W/Raal combo) and in 2019, my midbass and sub (which were a weaker point in 2018) were vastly improved with the change to the Dynaudio MW190 12" and the pair of 15" GTi's with the IB install. Unfortunately, I didn't give myself any time to tune and experiment with the install last year prior to finals as I was busy wrapping up my install and finishing a friends Audi install as well so I wasn't able to win my class. So this year I am making sure I focus on getting my vehicle ready and at its absolute best with the ultimate goal of getting that huge, ultra real sound I am after. If I do that, the competition results will follow...maybe

3. Back To Top    #23
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

12" MIDbass?!? That's nuckingfuttz! lol. Bet you get the whole package you're after now.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

4. Back To Top    #24

why the illuminator tweeter instead of the revelator?

5. Back To Top    #25
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

Quote Originally Posted by nadams5755 View Post
    why the illuminator tweeter instead of the revelator?
    I haven't listened to all of the Rev tweeter lineup (not the RR or the 9500), but I didn't love the 7100 and greatly prefer the Air Circ 6600 as well as the Illuminator R3004 full format. Can't really say why, they just seem to sound more natural to me. The R3004 Illuminator has a good bit less sensitivity though too, but output isn't really an issue with the power I have.

I'm also testing the Dynaudio Esotar2 110 as well as the old school T330D which is pretty fantastic too.

6. Back To Top    #26
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    12" MIDbass?!? That's nuckingfuttz! lol. Bet you get the whole package you're after now.
    It may sound pretty nuts (well, yeah it is), but I'm getting great midbass articulation with the Dyns. They are very snappy and blend quite well with the midrange, plus I get great impact with a driver with that much cone area, a light moving mass and less xmax required.

7. Back To Top    #27
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by captainobvious View Post
    It may sound pretty nuts (well, yeah it is), but I'm getting great midbass articulation with the Dyns. They are very snappy and blend quite well with the midrange, plus I get great impact with a driver with that much cone area, a light moving mass and less xmax required.
    Yeah I'm an impact junkie myself. There are plenty of systems that sound really good but that real live effect impact gives you can be tricky if you're limited in one or more of the things needed to make it happen. Sadly I'm limited in a lot of areas
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

8. Back To Top    #28
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    I'm limited in a lot of areas
    Are you not entertained?!?!

9. Back To Top    #29
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by chithead View Post
    When did you talk to my ex? lol.

10. Back To Top    #30
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9227.JPG 
Views:	227 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	9952Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9234.JPG 
Views:	184 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	9953Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9235.JPG 
Views:	218 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	9954Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9236.JPG 
Views:	203 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	9955
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9227.JPG 
Views:	227 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	9952Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9234.JPG 
Views:	184 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	9953Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9235.JPG 
Views:	218 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	9954Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9236.JPG 
Views:	203 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	9955

Here are a few more pics of the pillars. Never posted any good ones. I removed the phase plugs and dyed them black for the more classic look.