2016 Transit Connect

Re: My 2016 Transit Connect SQ build

Absolutely sir

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by captainobvious View Post
    Thanks go to Nick at Apicella Auto Sound for assisting on parts of this build. He wrapped the pillars in one piece Alcantara (no seams!) and they look outstanding. I came up with a design for the trunk build and we tag teamed the routing and work back there. Much appreciated bro! If you are in the NE region and need any install, fabrication or tuning work don't hesitate to reach out to Nick! This is 3rd project we have collaborated on for my vehicle and I have always come away very happy with the results.
    Thanks. i still have the pics from wrapping them that i should post. Gotta dig them up. Side note, we need to get back on xbox asap.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Looks like Dynaudio mids and you cut a hole in that floor. Now that is dedicated!
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

This is next level stuff... especially the TRU skyscrapers in the back.

I missed getting a demo of this version of the Transit at finals... Let me know if your ever up at Nicks shop anytime so I can make the trip down and get a listen.

BTW, I heard you have a new project crawling around the house now too. Congrats Sir!

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

Currently, there are Scan Illuminator full format RR tweeters, Satori MR16P and Dynaudio MW190 along with a pair of JBL w15GTi subs.

I've been playing around with some drivers in my (limited) spare time.
    Last edited by captainobvious; 01-16-2020 at 01:10 PM.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

With the hole cut in the floor I'm assuming those 15's are IB?

And congrats on the new audio junkie in training
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

7. Back To Top    #17

I bet the dynamics are awesome if my sb17mfc are anything to go by, and yours are a few dB more efficient, nice setup that!

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

Yes the 15's are IB vented directly to exterior.

9. Back To Top    #19

Hey Captain,

I hate to be a nut swinger but you have demoed more equipment and won more car audio comps than anyone else I'm aware of on the forum - I can only dream of having the budget and wherewithal to demo that many drivers in and out of the car.. I wanted to ask you a couple of questions but first want to thank you (and Erin) for turning me on to the Satori drivers. I put the MR13P's in my car and was so impressed I'm putting a pair in my truck as well. Its an excellent driver for the price point but what really puts me over the moon is that you chose them for a super high end install when you could have used anything (including the Accutons). I don't mind spending money but when drivers get up to $400+ apiece I tend to balk a little bit. And you now continue to use the 16P as your mid-range. I have also put some Satori 9.5" woofers in aperiodic boxes in my doors and they have been amazing so 3 cheers for the brand.

I just wanted to ask you a few questions -

1) You were very hot on Ribbon tweeters for awhile. Have you moved on from them or are you mid -transition ? Obviously the Scan Illuminator is going to be an amazing tweeter, but do you feel its working better for you than the ribbons or was it more an aesthetic choice ? I don't suppose you'd be willing to tell us where you cross a nice set of large format tweeters like that ? Are you done with ribbons or are they still in the mix ?

2) Why did you move on from the B&W ? Was it the automobile environment ? Do you feel like the 16P is a step back from the more exotic B&W ?

10. Back To Top    #20
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Hearing those big ribbons was quite the experience and unlike anything I've ever heard before.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.