Name:	IMG_9262.JPG 
Views:	206 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	9959Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9261.JPG 
Views:	189 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	9958

And compared to the previous Dash pods and sail pods. The pillars place the mid about 6" deeper into the cabin and a little more off axis.

2. Back To Top    #32

Re: My 2016 Transit Connect SQ build

And those pods are sealed yes ? How big inside again ? New ones definitely blend better and from what I've experienced in my truck getting them a little deeper is better, not so much side window reflection. I wasn't sure until I heard Peter PSSounds talk about it - sometimes in my truck it sounds like yes, you are in the front row or the very first table in a jazz club, but maybe it would sound a little bit nicer if you were sitting in the 2nd row or 2nd table. At least in my truck there is no room to move them deeper so thankfully I won't have to build a 3rd set to be happy ha.

The ribbons might be boss but the standard large format tweeter looks so much nicer (to me). Those ribbons are just huge and don't fit in very well, although partially that may be because no one else runs them.

3. Back To Top    #33

Quote Originally Posted by preston View Post
    And those pods are sealed yes ? How big inside again ? New ones definitely blend better and from what I've experienced in my truck getting them a little deeper is better, not so much side window reflection. I wasn't sure until I heard Peter PSSounds talk about it - sometimes in my truck it sounds like yes, you are in the front row or the very first table in a jazz club, but maybe it would sound a little bit nicer if you were sitting in the 2nd row or 2nd table. At least in my truck there is no room to move them deeper so thankfully I won't have to build a 3rd set to be happy ha. The ribbons might be boss but the standard large format tweeter looks so much nicer (to me). Those ribbons are just huge and don't fit in very well, although partially that may be because no one else runs them.
    funny you mention that side window reflection, I stated the other day that a 15 degree change in a speakers angle could make or break a sound stage, it’s not so much as 15 degrees will make a massive difference, more there is a very sweet spot where the aiming and position is good and it makes your left or right stage location far more stable and it doesn’t stray into the side window or windscreen, it then focuses the centre so much better and you get a far better, more accurate stage because of it, of course I got told I was wrong as long as you’re playing below beaming, but it’s the same as anything, until you’ve heard it or experienced the difference it makes you can not possibly believe it to be so, I do try to get ideas across but some people are very closed minded... until someone with peters you tube reputation says it, then ears prick up... it doesn’t make what I said any more or less believable but someone famous said it and they must be saying it because it’s true lol

you have to love the internet at times

4. Back To Top    #34

The important thing is that you're not bitter

Don't blame me its not like I ever read your opinion on it and scoffed at it ! I didn't spend a ton of time aiming mine mostly because the combination of driver size, available location, and my visiblity requirements kind of dictated the angle. It came out about 20 degrees off axis to the driver, and I put the passenger 10 degrees off axis from the driver and I do believe if they had more outwards angle that the effect would be worse. IN my case I'm actually very happy with the massive width of my soundstage but like everything else its source dependent. I have recordings with a lot of separation where it can almost be too wide (there is still a strong center image, but some instruments will be very wide) , I have others where the band is literally sitting on the dashboard right above my steering wheel. But sometimes a jazz trio on a good recording will sound like I am at the first table in the club with the Bassist almost on my left side ie the stage is RIGHT in front of me and as mentioned the 2nd table back might be nice.

Anyway I'm hijacking the thread here but very interesting discussion.
    Last edited by preston; 04-03-2020 at 12:20 AM.

5. Back To Top    #35
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2015 Audi S4

I really enjoy all that you have done in your vehicle, have enjoyed every demo I have been blessed to have, and I have experienced the progression.

I am so impressed with your scientific approach that is then validated with your ears. You have experimented with many drivers in a controlled way, but you are open to use the best choice. I love the new pillars, and they really open up some opportunities to further experiment with tweeter choice and positioning. Well done! I’m excited to see and then hopefully hear some of your future choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. Back To Top    #36

Quote Originally Posted by preston View Post
    The important thing is that you're not bitter
    LOL.

Adam, don't worry, you're not alone in your thoughts. A friend of mine has been saying that on DIYMA for a years and he gets scoffed at. I believe it matters but only when you're playing past the 1/2 wavelength (most people consider beaming as the distance of the cone; I consider it the 1/2 distance) and it also depends on how steep your crossover slope is. Ultimately, it is how well the tweeter and mid blend. If you're playing the mid to a point where it can detriment the tweeter response then it matters. If not (say, like a midbass) then it doesn't.

Oh, and FWIW, I haven't seen any of Peter's videos. One of these days I need to.

Anyway, no need for me to further derail this thread.
    -- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/

7. Back To Top    #37
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

I really appreciate that Jason. As you know, the highlight of my time coming down to your NCSQ meets is our late evening demo session in each others cars. I am always impressed by the tonal characteristics of your cars after you spend countless hours listening to your music and refining it. I hope we get the opportunity to get together this year.
    You mentioned my scientific approach... I do a ton of listening and testing and trial and error, as well as plenty of measuring. I'll post some graphs below to show some of my latest measurements comparing the previous larger dash pods for the B&W's vs the newer pillar mounted design that it set farther back and a little more off axis.

Quote Originally Posted by Afghan Vet View Post
    I really enjoy all that you have done in your vehicle, have enjoyed every demo I have been blessed to have, and I have experienced the progression.

I am so impressed with your scientific approach that is then validated with your ears. You have experimented with many drivers in a controlled way, but you are open to use the best choice. I love the new pillars, and they really open up some opportunities to further experiment with tweeter choice and positioning. Well done! I’m excited to see and then hopefully hear some of your future choices.

8. Back To Top    #38
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9289.JPG 
Views:	212 
Size:	5.02 MB 
ID:	9968Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9290.JPG 
Views:	206 
Size:	4.18 MB 
ID:	9969

Attached are two screenshots. The first shows the left side response comparison between the previous large dash pods (light blue) and the newer pillars (dark blue).

The second pic shows the right side response. Pink is dash pods, purple is the newer pillars.

9. Back To Top    #39
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

No negligible difference in the low end response with the smaller enclosure. The top end is arguably smoother and doesn't have much rolloff despite the more off axis angling of the pillars.
    BTW- This is raw response, no eq, and *only* the midranges.

10. Back To Top    #40
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2015 Audi S4

Quote Originally Posted by captainobvious View Post
    No negligible difference in the low end response with the smaller enclosure. The top end is arguably smoother and doesn't have much rolloff despite the more off axis angling of the pillars.
    BTW- This is raw response, no eq, and *only* the midranges.
    Wow! That is good stuff right there! Proof of concept.....validation of a good decision! The empirical evidence to back up what your ears are telling you. Well played my friend!