Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running new speaker cables into the doors

1. Back To Top    #1

Running new speaker cables into the doors

If you have a molex / plug connector for the door wiring how do run new speaker cables?

What is the best way to drill out any spare pins on the main car body plug without taking the door off for access?

If there aren’t any spare pins in the plug to drill out what do you do?

This is what is causing the most issues for me!

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Running new speaker cables into the doors

did you try youtube? Mark @ CAF just posted this in the last week or so.

Plug BLOCKING wires? No problem! How to run speaker wire through door plugs!
    https://youtu.be/UfHEHeQXmxE

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

if the OEM molex doesn't have any spare room for you to drill through, then you're looking at having to drill your own new holes in the door and car frame and installing your own boot with grommets. This almost guarantees you'll have to remove the door from the car. I don't see being able to drill it at that angle when installed. At least with the existing molex plug it should be designed for you to unplug it so you can remove door

Something like this could work. It's all-in-one. But you'd want to confirm the thickness of your door and frame as this one is meant for 1-1.5mm thick in order to create a good seal at the grommet.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...saAoblEALw_wcB

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

I ran mine by drilling a hole in the plastic holder for the molex right to the side of it. I drilled through the little triangle shape pieces that you can see better in the 2nd picture (only on the other side)

Most molex can be fairly easily removed. My f150's can be twisted about 1/8 of a turn and pushed in.

2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Or another option (Credit: dhmcfadin) https://imgur.com/a/8YGXRaN
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

6. Back To Top    #6

Great - thanks for the pointers.

Seems I need to be brave and pull out the whole connector to check it out.

The car is French (it’s a Renault) so might be more tricky they like making things difficult!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Best advice I can give anyone running speaker wire through a molex is to not get caught up on "bigger is better" when it comes to speaker wire. Unless you're running over 200rms to the midbass real world (you won't ever do that except in rare extreme cases ONLY with terribly inefficient speakers) 16g should be plenty. And the wire jacket doesn't have to be thick to be durable. You'll have to get creative when it comes to snaking wire through some of the twists and turns and passages. I've had to solder junk wire to the speaker wire I was running to have a low profile SECURE connection to pull it through. Just make sure you do it right the first time so you never have to do it again. And take your time.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

Even if you couldn't fit your 16ga, you could run a thinner jacket wire or even an 18ga wire for the short run just in the door and then use the larger gauge from inside of car to the amp.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the past, I've had to get very creative... as some of the molex connectors are absolutely jam-packed full.

In one of my Audi's, I bought the Molex connector pins from Digi-Key, and added new pins to the Molex connector for speakers.
    It was a cool idea, and worked-out very well... but a total pain in the ass. Probably won't ever do it again.

In another vehicle; I was only able to snake a 16awg wire through the Molex, which I used for the 6.5" woofer.
    Then I used the factory 18awg speaker wire that was already there, as the wire for the tweeter.

On my most recent build; I was able to drill a large enough hole to pull two 16awg wires through.
    It was tight, and the pull was very difficult... but I got them through.
    Scary as shit, when you're drilling into a packed Molex...
    New Car... Stock Stereo

10. Back To Top    #10

I just answered this on another site. You can take a few of the factory wires out and drill a single big hole that will allow the passing of your wire and the factory wires you moved to drill the hole.