Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix: PK3 module wiring for Viper remote start

  1. Back To Top    #1

    2000 Pontiac Grand Prix: PK3 module wiring for Viper remote start

    I'm installing a Viper 150 ESP. I'm trying to figure out the PK3 module wiring to bypass the factory Passkey security system. Below is the wiring list on the back of the module, and I'm using the Grand Prix wiring site to try to figure out what to hook up to:

    Red -- 12V+
    Black -- Ground
    Blue -- (-) Remote start
    Green -- Key Sense
    Purple -- Data (I/O)
    Pink -- IGN (ECM side)
    Pink/Black -- IGN (Key side)
    Blue/White -- Fuel Enable

    I was able to get access to another Grand Prix that has the same remote start system installed. So I copied the wiring for the PK3 module.

    After finishing the wiring in the 2000 GP, I tried starting it w/ the factory key to make sure the car still ran. It started and ran fine for minute or so before I shut it off. Then I removed the key and shut the door. I waited until the interior light went out, and then I was gonna try remote starting the car. However, when the interior light went out, the headlights came on! I tried remote starting, but nothing happened.

    Then I noticed smoke under the dash, coming from the PK3 module. I unplugged it, but it smelled pretty burnt. I may have fried it.

    I tried starting the car w/ the key again. It started, but only ran for a couple seconds before stalling. I ran a jumper wire to reconnect the pink ignition wire, and after that the car started and ran fine. So that tells me that I cut the correct pink wire.

    Based on the symptoms, it seems like I probably connected the wrong ends of the pink factory wire to the module. But I triple-checked, and I know that the end of the factory pink wire that goes up into the steering column was connected to Pink/Black -- IGN (Key side). The other end of the factory pink wire connected to the large junction block deeper under the dash, and that is connected to Pink -- IGN (ECM side). So what's the problem??

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Senior Member Euphonic's Avatar
    Location
    SOSIQUIL
    Vehicle
    1991 Mercury Capri, 2016 Ford Escape SE, & 2017 Nissan Altima SR
    Posts
    2,007
    Join Date
    Feb 2015

    Re: 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix: PK3 module wiring for Viper remote start

    If smoke came out of the module, the module is probably bad. What module are you using?
    Last edited by Euphonic; 01-07-2020 at 07:46 AM.

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Re: 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix: PK3 module wiring for Viper remote start

    Quote Originally Posted by Euphonic View Post
    If smoke came out of the module, the module is probably bad. What module are you using?
    It's the PK3 module that Viper makes to use in conjunction with Viper RS systems. The PK3 module is designed to bypass the Pass-Key 3 ignition lock-out that GM used in their cars of that era.

    I know there's a good chance this PK3 module is fried, but the question is what did I miswire that would have caused it to be fried? It was working when it came out of the '03 Grand Prix it was previously installed in. And like I said, I copied the wiring from another Grand Prix (an '02) with the same RS/PK3 modules installed, as well as doing my own online research. I can't figure out what's wrong, so I was hoping that some1 would recognize the problem based on the symptoms.

    And yes, I like Grand Prixs... I've had 5 of them!

  4. Back To Top    #4
    Senior Member Euphonic's Avatar
    Location
    SOSIQUIL
    Vehicle
    1991 Mercury Capri, 2016 Ford Escape SE, & 2017 Nissan Altima SR
    Posts
    2,007
    Join Date
    Feb 2015

    Re: 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix: PK3 module wiring for Viper remote start

    Did the module go through the programming procedure correctly? If the wiring is correct and it went through the programming procedure correctly, it’s possible the module is defective.
    Last edited by Euphonic; 01-07-2020 at 08:12 AM.

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Re: 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix: PK3 module wiring for Viper remote start

    Quote Originally Posted by Euphonic View Post
    Did the module go through the programming procedure correctly? If the wiring is correct and it went through the programming procedure correctly, it’s possible the module is defective.
    The RS system was installed on the '03 by the previous owner, and the RS worked fine for several years in that car. So yes, I would say that it must have gone thru the programming procedure or else it wouldn't have worked in the '03. Or are u saying that it needs to be reprogrammed to work in the '00? I can't see why that would be necessary.

    And again, I have to ask... if the module is defective, how did that happen? It was working fine in the '03. I have another module from the '02, but I don't want to fry that as well if there's a wiring problem.

  6. Back To Top    #6
    Senior Member Euphonic's Avatar
    Location
    SOSIQUIL
    Vehicle
    1991 Mercury Capri, 2016 Ford Escape SE, & 2017 Nissan Altima SR
    Posts
    2,007
    Join Date
    Feb 2015

    Re: 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix: PK3 module wiring for Viper remote start

    Quote Originally Posted by syc0path View Post
    The RS system was installed on the '03 by the previous owner, and the RS worked fine for several years in that car. So yes, I would say that it must have gone thru the programming procedure or else it wouldn't have worked in the '03. Or are u saying that it needs to be reprogrammed to work in the '00? I can't see why that would be necessary.

    And again, I have to ask... if the module is defective, how did that happen? It was working fine in the '03. I have another module from the '02, but I don't want to fry that as well if there's a wiring problem.
    If the module was previously installed in a different vehicle, it will need to be reprogrammed to learn the vehicle it is being installed in. It would need to be reprogrammed because it's doubtful that both cars have identical transponders.

    Maybe there is a wiring problem that caused the module to emit smoke, but I haven't seen the wiring and can only take your word that it is correct. If all else fails, you can try using a Directed 556UW (key in a box).

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Re: 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix: PK3 module wiring for Viper remote start

    Quote Originally Posted by Euphonic View Post
    If the module was previously installed in a different vehicle, it will need to be reprogrammed to learn the vehicle it is being installed in. It would need to be reprogrammed because it's doubtful that both cars have identical transponders.
    My thinking was that, when the key is put in the ignition, the security system in the car sends a signal that a valid key is present and therefore it's ok to start the car. But becuz the PK3 module is tapped into the vehicle's wiring, the PK3 module can send its own substitute signal that it's ok to start the car when the RS sequence is initiated, regardless of whether a valid key is present or not. In that case, there would be no reason to program the PK3 module to each individual car.

    I don't know for sure if this is how it actually works, but it makes sense becuz it's much simpler and yet still secure.

  8. Back To Top    #8
    Senior Member Euphonic's Avatar
    Location
    SOSIQUIL
    Vehicle
    1991 Mercury Capri, 2016 Ford Escape SE, & 2017 Nissan Altima SR
    Posts
    2,007
    Join Date
    Feb 2015

    Re: 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix: PK3 module wiring for Viper remote start

    Quote Originally Posted by syc0path View Post
    My thinking was that, when the key is put in the ignition, the security system in the car sends a signal that a valid key is present and therefore it's ok to start the car. But becuz the PK3 module is tapped into the vehicle's wiring, the PK3 module can send its own substitute signal that it's ok to start the car when the RS sequence is initiated, regardless of whether a valid key is present or not. In that case, there would be no reason to program the PK3 module to each individual car.

    I don't know for sure if this is how it actually works, but it makes sense becuz it's much simpler and yet still secure.
    If that were the case, Directed (and others) would just put a generic code in all of their modules and you'd never have to program them. It would also allow you to buy a key with a generic code in it that would never need programmed, so it doesn't make sense and it would be less secure. What is the part number of the module you are trying to use and does it have programming instructions?

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Re: 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix: PK3 module wiring for Viper remote start

    Part# 555G. While I was searching to figure out if it needed to programmed or not, I somehow found the installation manual! I have the manual for the RS system, I've never been able to find it for this module. Anyway, it's here: https://mafiadoc.com/555g-passkey-iii-immobilizer-bypass-module-directed-store_59c5d2611723dd43adfb2dd6.html

    It says that the Grand Prix uses a fuel-type (rather than data-type) PK3 system, so programming is not required. Now that I have this manual, I will review it carefully and then compare it to the actual install in the car to see if I can find the problem...

    Another thing I thought about is that I've triple-checked all the wiring for the PK3 module, but not the RS module itself. The fact that the PK3 module was smoking made me direct my attention there, but I shouldn't overlook the possibility that the problem is w/ the RS module wiring instead. The manual also recommends a way to test this, so I'll try it.

  10. Back To Top    #10
    Senior Member Euphonic's Avatar
    Location
    SOSIQUIL
    Vehicle
    1991 Mercury Capri, 2016 Ford Escape SE, & 2017 Nissan Altima SR
    Posts
    2,007
    Join Date
    Feb 2015

    Re: 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix: PK3 module wiring for Viper remote start

    I haven't seen a 555G for many years. I do hope you get it to work. As far as checking the system, you should be able to put the key in the cylinder and remote start it. If it starts, the remote start part is good.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back To Top