Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Helix Ultra tips and tricks

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Nick

Re: Helix Ultra tips and tricks

Also, did more tuning in Doug's car today. I'm proud to say that I think we absolutely nailed a 2 seat tune. This whole virtual channels really is a game changer to the point where even I was struggling to realize its capabilities

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SkizeR; 01-28-2020 at 12:57 AM.

2. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    Also, did more tuning in Doug's car today. I'm proud to say that I think we absolutely nailed a 2 seat tune. This whole virtual channels really is a game changer to the point where even I was struggling to realize its capabilities

using a centre from the centre channel processing?

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
    using a centre from the centre channel processing?
    3 way front, 2 way center, sides in rear doors, rears in d pillar, single sub

4. Back To Top    #14

Cool... well I’m heading in the right direction... just ordered one dsp pro 2 sold, going in another team members car

i reckon I’ll get an audiostage when they come out as well

5. Back To Top    #15

To mute the new extra channels you have to press Shift + 1/2

Deleted my post as it is redundant and superfluous info adding no value as I did not read the previous post properly.
    Last edited by Audiogal; 01-28-2020 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Remove useless info
    Just having fun playing in the car audio sandbox!

6. Back To Top    #16
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Audiogal View Post
    I did not figure out how yet how to mute the last two sub woofer "virtual channels" using alpha-numeric hot keys.
    Shift + 1 and shift + 2

7. Back To Top    #17

Shift + 1 and shift + 2

Oh I see, thanks. I will give it a go!!!
    Just having fun playing in the car audio sandbox!

8. Back To Top    #18
    Vehicle
    BMW 335i E92, BMW X6 F16, 2000 LandCruiser

SkizeR, It was inferred on another forum these tuning sessions might be recorded? I just had my Ultra tuned in both a driver seat and a 2-seat but have not found time to sit in the passenger seat yet. My wife seems to think it is her car.

From the driver seat I prefer the one seat tune and since my seat is all the way back and leaned back a bit the rear door speakers are a little too hot for me in the two-seat tune. Moving my head up just a few inches improves the stage dramatically. My wife prefers the two-seat tune regardless of where she is sitting and of course she has the seat much closer so the 2-seat tune may be set up just right for us. It is nice being able to toggle between the 2 tunes and compare.

I'll be going back to Musicar in a month or so to tweak the tunes. Not sure how much new speakers change the tune in a month but I assume everyone will learn more about the Ultra and how to take full advantage of it.

I would like to learn to tune myself. I assume I can play with different memories while always being able to go back to my installers tunes any time I want?
    Last edited by Midway; 01-28-2020 at 02:06 PM.
    BMW 335i E92 Morel Hybrid 402, Jehnert XE200, JL 12W3v3-4, Twk 88, JL XD500/3 and XD600/6
    BMW X6 F16, Helix SDMI25 -> Helix DSP Ultra, Amps, MMats HiFi-6150D & 4250D, Arc Audio KS125.4 Mini. Front Stage Dyn Esotar 430, Esotec MD 102, Illusion Audio C8. Rear Stage, Morel Hybrid 402, Rear pillars OEM. Sub, ScanSpeak Rev 28W.

9. Back To Top    #19

This whole virtual channels really is a game changer to the point where even I was struggling to realize its capabilities
    I started playing with mine this past weekend. To your knowledge Nick, is there any Dynamic Headroom “cost” associated with using the Virtual Channel feature?

The Ultra has 2 DSP chips. With virtual channels enabled, I assume one DSP chip is tasked with the virtual channel signal processing and the second DSP chip handles the output signal processing. Where as in the classic non virtual channel architecture, I assume the DSP has the full power of both DSP chips for output.

I ask if there is a “cost” because I noticed when using the Virtual Channel architecture, the Virtual Channels appear to clip rather easily (red in the virtual channel gain output). The regular output channel gains have no red but the virtual channels themselves will.

*this is when using a digital input at that (USB HEC)

There is no way to check if this clipping occurs under the classic architecture because the Virtual tab is disabled and you only have the output tab. Maybe it’s a non issue under classic because the user has the power and dynamics of both DSP chips handling the output?

10. Back To Top    #20
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Midway View Post
    SkizeR, It was inferred on another forum these tuning sessions might be recorded? I just had my Ultra tuned in both a driver seat and a 2-seat but have not found time to sit in the passenger seat yet. My wife seems to think it is her car.

From the driver seat I prefer the one seat tune and since my seat is all the way back and leaned back a bit the rear door speakers are a little too hot. Moving my head up just a few inches improves the stage dramatically. My wife prefers the two-seat tune regardless of where she is sitting and of course she has the seat much closer so the 2-seat tune may be set up just right for us. It is nice being able to toggle between the 2 tunes and compare.

I'll be going back to Musicar in a month or so to tweak the tunes. Not sure how much new speakers change the tune in a month but I assume everyone will learn more about the Ultra and how to take full advantage of it.

I would like to learn to tune myself. I assume I can play with different memories while always being able to go back to my installers tunes any time I want?
    I'm actually with Tom this week, and just yesterday at lunch we talked about some things I found in the new software than can help with 2 seat tunes drastically. Even though this has an upmixer, it doesnt mean getting a solid 2 seat tune is easy. It took us a while to actually go "there we go, that's correct".

As far as the tuning session, it was supposed to be recorded. Unfortunately we didnt have time. What we did do was walk through videos of the software. I still have to finish those when I get home