Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best 6 channel SQ amp options

1. Back To Top    #21
    Vehicle
    Alfa Romeo GT

Re: Best 6 channel SQ amp options

I love my McIntosh MCC 406,...could have a bit more power, but sound very smooth and full (used it for front 3-way system). Before I run SS DaVinci - a bit better power output (nonregulated power supply),ery nice for all in one amp.
    would like to get my hands on ZAPCO 150 AP since it is newer and more powerful amp
    FOR FAST MOVING CONCERTS
    Team LBaudio
    Team BRAX
    Team SCB
    Team Car Audio Lab
    EMMA SLO head

2. Back To Top    #22

Quote Originally Posted by chithead View Post
    Heck yeah. I really think 7 channel options (6 full range plus one mono sub channel) have been overlooked for way too long.
    See, that would be the beauty of an "single pool of power" amp. WIth that concept, you could have a single amp with, lets say, 12 output channels. Since they would all take from the same "pool" of power and the power isn't "hard-wired" to any of the channels, the amp manufacturer would basically only need a single amp to cover all of the possible configurations. The user would just use however many of the 12 channels they needed. So you could use the exact same amp for any configuration, whether it be 2 output channels, 4 channels or 12 channels - without any "wasting" any of the amps power capability. Just think how many less "models" of an amp a manufacturer would need to produce this way!

Only limitation on the number of channels would be the physical space needed for the speaker output terminals. :-)

So instead of having all of these different amps, some being mono, some 2-channel, 4-channel, 5-channel, 6-channel, etc - the amp would just be marketed as a "800W" amp - and would work for any configuration. So you'd have 200W amps, 400W amps, 600W amps, etc - the power level would be the only difference. Would be *so* flexible....

I'll keep dreaming though.... :-)

3. Back To Top    #23
    Real Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
    I’ve just purchased my ultimate 6 channel... over budget, but imo one of the finest six channel amplifiers available... Zapco 150.6ap worth saving for if you can manage it
    I would add that if you can find a Zapco 150.6LX series that would save you a few $ over the AP series.

4. Back To Top    #24
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    Surely you are not suggesting that anything over 25W RMS is "too much", even for midbass channels?? :-) I'm not sure what that table really means in terms of volume levels, but that table actually illustrates my point. With my 75W RMS x 6 amp, the vast majority of the power that is "dedicated" to a mid or tweeter channel will NEVER be used - and is completely "wasted" - whereas I may run out of power on my 4 ohm midbass channels at really loud volumes. It would be nice not to "waste" so much amp power. Wouldn't it be nice if that un-used power could be given to the midbass channels (or even a a sub channel) if/when needed?

What I'm talking about is nothing like "passive" setups - each channel would still be isolated in terms of configuration, crossovers, etc - but it would be nice if the unused power on the mid and high channels could be used elsewhere if/when needed instead of NEVER being used as it is now... Just having one big pool of power for all channels to draw from while all other aspects would still be "dedicated" for each channel.

The 1200W was just an example. You are probably correct that you wouldn't need that much if you could "pool" all of the power to be used on whatever channel actually needed it.

No 25w would only allow you to play the 80hz tone at the needed volume to have a flat RTA, but your speaker isn't just playing an 80hz tone. It needs to be able to play the frequency spectrum and enough energy to play all the tones at the appropriate level. So midbass would need probably somewhere around 50w-75w RMS to actually be able to do this. Midrange around 15-20w RMS, and Tweeter like 2w RMS.

As far as a pool of energy, that gets tricky as you would need some way that connects all of the channels together and then that would eliminate channel separation as some stuff could leak into the others. The only way that I can think of being able to do this with amp design would basically to have a passive crossover built into the amp and then run each channel parallel on the same internal board.

If you look at the inside of the mmatts, you will see the different circuits for the input/output channels. The only way to have a pool would be to combine all of those so they could pull from each other.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

5. Back To Top    #25

Actually, as someone else pointed out to me when I mentioned this "wish" on "the other forum", it seems that Phoenix Gold is actually implementing a more limited version of this - it's called "Power Shift". I'm sure the smart engineers out there could figure out a way to advance this type of system even further though. If only I were a lot smarter and had plenty of cash - then maybe I could work out the design specifics and change the car audio world forever. :-) It's nice to dream...

https://phoenixgold.com/catalog/amplifiers/ti3-16006

I just think that it would be a game-changer - and would benefit both the end-user (more flexibility/better use of power) as well as the manufacturer (reduced number of amp models to deal with, etc).

There just seems to be *so* much opportunity for advancements in the car audio world, IMO. For example, there is no reason why amps/DSP's can't be self-tuning out-of-the box (the Kicker KEY180.4 does it for ~$200 for 45Wx4 amp/DSP!). Why is this not more common on the higher-end stuff? At the VERY least, it would provide a great starting point - best case, it would sound better than a lot of manual tunes that people spend many hours getting right. Home audio receivers have been doing this auto-tuning thing for many years now. Yes, car audio is a little harder to tune, but it could be done. Same with the lack of digital outputs on head-units - it's crazy (to me) that it's not yet a standard feature.

So be on the look out for my self-tuning, "power pool" DSP amp coming to a car audio shop near you! Just don't hold your breath! ;-)

6. Back To Top    #26

It would be pretty cool!

My hypothesis is an amp like your explaining would have to be a DSP style amp in the sense that there is a processor that is analyzing the the sound signal and diverting power to appropriate channels on the fly. Kind of the the same concept as an upmixer steering/attenuating signals to different channels.

How it diverts the power to the separate channels will not always be perfect and be based on some smart algorithm. This is where the amp will be met with scrutiny. I often observe that Audiophiles (to whom this amp is meant to attract) tend to feel iffy of things that analyzing the signal with consequences on the output end and that not matching the original recording’s intent..

Also the price for such an amp would also be higher than expected because all of the channels would have to be in theory physically capable of handling the higher end of the power allotment (i.e. all 6 channels would have to be capable of outputting up to 200 watts or more).

But I’ll be looking out for it!

7. Back To Top    #27
    Real Name
    Benjamin
    Vehicle
    2019 Ram 1500 (DT) 5.7 Hemi

I’m selling my nib Zapco 6 channel amp. It’s the version that has no crossover. If you want OP you can email me at bsingle04@gmail.com for details and photos. No harm no foul if this is not what you are interested in...

8. Back To Top    #28
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

I've seen it ^^^ She's a beauty for sure.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

9. Back To Top    #29
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

Quote Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
    I’ve just purchased my ultimate 6 channel... over budget, but imo one of the finest six channel amplifiers available... Zapco 150.6ap worth saving for if you can manage it
    I run the same one. Great amp. And no damn crossovers to defeat. It's just a damn amp with a gain pot hah.

10. Back To Top    #30
    Real Name
    Dustin

Put me down as one more to vouch for the Zapco Z-150.6 AP. I love mine. As was previously mentioned, keep an eye out in the used market for the Z-150.6 LX. The Z-150.6 II is similar to the LX, but has all of the built in crossovers.
    New Truck | No System
    2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion