Thread: 1996 Corvette Build

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Randy
    Vehicle
    2007 Toyota Solara

Re: 1996 Corvette Build

Hello,
    As a former 1990 Corvette owner, the first thing I would mention is to go to the Corvette Forum. they have an audio section w/ many builds, including my old one (same name).

As for some advice, The problem w/ good sound in a C4 Corvette is that the speakers are down on the floor. The first thing to do is to create pods for your tweeters, so that you can "raise" the sound

stage. If you are not sure how to do that, just do a search on CF, or over at DIYMA. The next thing is to move the midbass speakers up front. You can mount them Where you now have the tweeters. or cut a

hole in your door panels for them. Again, the best thing is to raise the sound stage.

You can then mount 8" subs in the rear speaker compartment. You will have to make speaker baffles for the sub's.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa...er-pods.53732/

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...audio-faq.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-welcomed.html

Take a look through this. you can get some great ideas.

Randy
    Last edited by Randyj75; 04-02-2020 at 07:22 PM.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

Thanks Randy, I agree with everything you mentioned... however... up until recently I was against putting any irreversible holes in my car. Anyone that knows me well enough knows that I get bored and change cars like most people change their socks. So I didn’t really want to go along and start tearing up the car just to have the next owner be upset they had to buy new parts to “restore” it. Even though my current mindset MAY change, I’m pretty sure I’m keeping this one for the long haul. So... the tweeters are already in pods which I will be mounting on the a-pillars hopefully using a small screw so as not to put too big of a hole in the trim just in case. I’m still trying to decide what to do for mid/midbass up front but hopefully that’ll get sorted out after some hands-on brainstorming this weekend. I also already had subs in the rear stock location but found it not to my liking so I’m building an actual enclosure to see how that works. I was actually pretty interested in your pod idea but none of the pics work. Trust me when I say I have been to the Corvette forums and looked at about every install I could find for inspiration or ideas. There just weren’t too many that wowed me.

My daily driver Malibu has my SQ system with custom pillars and an IB 15 (build log is on here somewhere) so I’m pretty well versed in what SHOULD be done, it just that this car really just needs to be loud enough to be heard over the exhaust while still being accurate. Staging, imaging and all that is more or less an afterthought. I’m honestly only using the DSP as a crossover and MAYBE doing some time delay but it really is just my fair weather fun toy.

After going back and proofreading this it kind of sounds like I’m coming of rather snooty but that is not how I mean it (and I’m just too lazy to go back and retype it). I really do appreciate any input so thanks for the ideas. Sometimes I just have a hard time doing what SHOULD be done the first time rather than the quick & easy way then redoing it again later.

I actually braved the Depot today (against stay at home orders) and got some more wood so the construction will continue tomorrow if all goes well and the weather cooperates.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

All of the panels for the sub enclosure are cut. A few pieces are glued & clamped as I type. I should have most, if not all, the panels glued by tonight. Here’s the box with all the pieces just sitting together and test fitted in the car.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9AA320A5-657A-45C1-BEB2-D08845D67D21.jpeg 
Views:	243 
Size:	764.2 KB 
ID:	9977Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1B3617BC-C41B-4583-AA61-7D2A5C76AA03.jpeg 
Views:	253 
Size:	4.30 MB 
ID:	9978

I haven’t figure out yet if I want to face the ports forwards or backwards. Forwards, I fear that any port noise will be really noticeable because they’d be right behind your head AND I’d have to figure out something crafty so the amp cover panel doesn’t obstruct the port. Rearwards, they would theoretically “corner-load” as they’d be about 3” or so from the back wall & hopefully boost the output a bit.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

This weekend was beautiful so I managed to get a LOT done. I’m waiting for a few select parts via Amazon but with any luck the physical install will be done by mid-end of this week.

I decided to go with the Infinity 6.5” coax speakers for the front as it was easier to make them fit with the supplies I had on hand.

Name:	FAFF427A-949F-4711-B710-D1453D16F241.jpeg 
Views:	228 
Size:	4.05 MB 
ID:	10000

The stock panel interferes a bit so a little trimming/customization was needed. I didn’t get a before of the drivers side but it was the same as the other.

Name:	EF6D1032-0E78-4C64-9DFB-0BA9FF9C5063.jpeg 
Views:	265 
Size:	4.31 MB 
ID:	10001Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2BB8AF66-E586-44CC-931A-D8DBC681A08E.jpeg 
Views:	275 
Size:	3.97 MB 
ID:	10002Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCE07721-F6E7-46B1-8587-85D1400F2C58.jpeg 
Views:	239 
Size:	4.14 MB 
ID:	10003

The factory grille fits over it with no issues & you’d probably never know they were there. I also got the tweeters mounted on the pillars but as I knew would happen they look “off” to me because the 2 sides are not symmetrical. After everything is playing I’ll be able to tweak the aiming if necessary. I hope not as those things were a BITCH to remove.

Name:	A49872C3-C979-45D9-B537-00680DBC3DDD.jpeg 
Views:	242 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	10004Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E66B85B6-8BB0-4646-A376-4CFD293A9A93.jpeg 
Views:	259 
Size:	3.13 MB 
ID:	10005

The sub box is assembled and ready to go. This week will also entail making the flush panels for the amp rack & sub box. Part of my Amazon shipment is more spray adhesive so when that gets here I can cover everything and she’ll be done. I can’t wait to hear this thing play.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1C3AC0BA-6E5D-4FED-8876-EA65CB02C2CE.jpeg 
Views:	187 
Size:	5.86 MB 
ID:	10006  

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

Not sure how that last pic of me enjoying a cold beverage at my fire pit last night made it on there but... there’s a pic of me social distancing at my fire pit last night. Be safe everyone.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

It’s in. It’s playing. And it ROCKS! I have the DSP bypassed for now until my Amazon shipment arrives but with a quick gain setting & EQ session its a HUGE improvement over the previous setup. These 6.5” Daytons are no slouch. I used the last of my spray adhesive on the sub enclosure so the rest will have to wait.

Name:	DA6C1B8C-3FCC-45DE-AACE-C712CA6B4800.jpeg 
Views:	257 
Size:	866.9 KB 
ID:	10013

7. Back To Top    #17
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

That's awesome, not sure if I will be hosting a meet here this year but if I do, hopefully you bring the Corvette down (or if you do end up hosting something at your place I'll head up there)
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

I’m not completely sure I’ll be in a position to have anything here as I’m currently under contract negotiations to sell my house. The wife & I are downsizing to a new build townhouse. Unfortunately, though, because of the stay-home order construction has halted so I’m not sure when it’s all going to happen. Our original timeframe was mid-June but now it’s more unknown. I can always head down your way though. I did read about you and Jason possibly “merging” GTGs. I did a search for the town he mentioned and it’s about 5hrs out so I could make that happen too. One way or another we’ll make something happen.

9. Back To Top    #19
    Real Name
    Randy
    Vehicle
    2007 Toyota Solara

Looks good, dude. I wish I could hear it. How does it sound with the roof off?

Need some more pictures, I would like to see the dash pods and the amp rack when you get done.

10. Back To Top    #20
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

I have no idea how it sounds with the roof off. I haven’t had a chance to even drive it, let alone take the roof off. In all honesty I may never know. In the almost 3 years I’ve had the car the roof has been off only once and it was an experience I wasn’t really thrilled with.

I made the trim for the sub box yesterday but ran out of wood again to do the one for the amp rack. As soon as I can make another Home Depot run I’ll get that made but I’m still waiting for my spray adhesive from Amazon to ship to apply carpet. The pods, though, are just surface mounted tweeters so there’s not much to see there but I can get more pics if you want. I’ll take a few more pics when I’m completely done though.