Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best “SQ” amp for Audiofrog GB12D4

1. Back To Top    #1

Best “SQ” amp for Audiofrog GB12D4

I’m am driving myself crazy trying to decide on which amp to get for my GB12D4. I know it does t make a huge difference on subwoofer but I already have what I consider to be high end amp for my GB 3 way and want a sub amp that is on par. Other amps are a Brax Nox4 and Helix A2.

my options are:
    helix spxl 1000
    team arc modified SE2300
    hybrid technologies u1a
    mmats m1000.2

all 4 will do 1000+ at 2 ohms. I just want accurate smooth bass. I know tuning as a lot to do with it but I believe amps play a part in the sound and control. Looking for reviews and thoughts.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best “SQ” amp for Audiofrog GB12D4

If i was looking for 1000 @ 2ohm the mosconi as200.2 would be on that list.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

You’re splitting hairs with that selection but my vote goes to Mmats because it’s good old American goodness that is small form factor and easy on your electrical with a reputation for being one of the best.

Disclaimer: I haven’t actually used any of these amplifiers. Ask @DavidRam about his Mmats he just swapped out with Zapco recently.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

4. Back To Top    #4

Any particular reason you would choose it over the ones listed?

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Quote Originally Posted by C0sm01 View Post
    Any particular reason you would choose it over the ones listed?
    It’s the smallest and arguably most efficient of that group. It’s known for having great sound quality. It’s price is generally lower than those listed. It’s made in America by a company known for pioneering class D design. Mmats amplifiers are underrated. When I look at the others I see more expensive and larger chassis with possibly older designs which for me is a turn off, especially for a class D design. I am biased
    Last edited by JCsAudio; 01-01-2020 at 09:23 AM.

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

6. Back To Top    #6

I would use the jl slash because I’m using 1 to power (2) 12” now and there’s really no need to switch it, ultra clean power so much that all I get from my woofers is pressure no artifact from what a regular amp might add and yes I’ve had most line of Mmats amps except the last line, I had (4) sq4175, the original d100hc, I even have custom 4kw mmats amps so no bias here.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
    It’s the smallest and arguably most efficient of that group. It’s known for having great sound quality. It’s price is generally lower than those listed. It’s made in America by a company known for pioneering class D design. Mmats amplifiers are underrated. When I look at the others I see more expensive and larger chassis with possibly older designs which for me is a turn off, especially for a class D design. I am biased
    I am not sure about the overrated part... unless the manufacturers are totally dishonest, then the ratings are a guide.

I have no experience with MMATS either, but that 1400.2 outputs at 2 ohms...

Something that outputs at 2 or 4 ohms allows one to have a bit more flexibility in sub wiring, and seems worth considering.

I would lean towards 4 ohm over a 0.5 ohm amp given the same wattage.
    Whether that is a plus for the OP or not depends on them.
    (but in theory it makes it a better amp and speaker system when the ohms are higher.)

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Mullings View Post
    I would use the jl slash because I’m using 1 to power (2) 12” now and there’s really no need to switch it, ultra clean power so much that all I get from my woofers is pressure no artifact from what a regular amp might add and yes I’ve had most line of Mmats amps except the last line, I had (4) sq4175, the original d100hc, I even have custom 4kw mmats amps so no bias here.
    The slash would also be on my list.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Quote Originally Posted by Mullings View Post
    If this is the same setup you had at the spring meet Kevin than yes that was a great sounding setup. Now that I know you have experience with Mmats I’ll be asking questions at the next meet.

Thanks Kevin
    Last edited by JCsAudio; 01-01-2020 at 03:49 PM.

Ford F150

Sienna

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by C0sm01 View Post
    I’m am driving myself crazy trying to decide on which amp to get for my GB12D4. I know it does t make a huge difference on subwoofer but I already have what I consider to be high end amp for my GB 3 way and want a sub amp that is on par. Other amps are a Brax Nox4 and Helix A2.

my options are:
    helix spxl 1000
    team arc modified SE2300
    hybrid technologies u1a
    mmats m1000.2

all 4 will do 1000+ at 2 ohms. I just want accurate smooth bass. I know tuning as a lot to do with it but I believe amps play a part in the sound and control. Looking for reviews and thoughts.
    Do you own any of those amps or do you need to buy?

Kelvin