Thread: First tune advice

1. Back To Top    #1

First tune advice

Tuning my first system 2 way active with a sub.

Steps I have completed:
    1. set gains
    2. Check polarity
    3. Set delays
    4. set crossovers
    5. Listen to system at various levels (just to get an idea where we are at)
    6. EQ left tweeter
    7. EQ left Mid
    8. EQ Sub
    9. Started to do the same on right side but then I thought maybe I was supposed to eq left channel as a whole next?
    10. Tried to match right channel to left

My question comes in when I turn the volume up from 3/4 to full (full being highest no distortion point) the tweeters seem to overpower everything but this is only happening once the volume gets about about 3/4. (As I type this I am wondering if turning on the loudness might be the main cause of this and I just need to take some of the cut out of the subs lower freq)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Re: First tune advice

I'm only a little bit farther down this path then you are, but you seem to be on the right track. I'm not the ideal candidate to give advice yet, but I found that tuning at full volume - or 90%+ helped tone down that extra tweeter at high volume. If you listen at max level, its not a bad idea to tune at max level too.

https://testgear.audiofrog.com/wp-co...y-it-Works.pdf

This Audiofrog guide has an excellent tuning method with full explanations along the way. Highly, highly recommend the read. I have also started a Tonality vs RTA thread which has some great tips from great people on some very similar problems I have been dealing with.

All in all, your on the right track, plus, you have found the right website to gather the information needed. Thumbs up!

3. Back To Top    #3

That step 4-6 part could have some iteration is the MR to Tweeter or MB to MR is cancelling.

For example going to BW18dB from LR24 changes the phase in the cross over.
    (Getting the whole side EQ'ed and playing in the crossover can be a bit of to-n-fro.)

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by chiefgeek View Post
    ...(As I type this I am wondering if turning on the loudness might be the main cause of this and I just need to take some of the cut out of the subs lower freq)
    Disable and tune again

Kelvin

5. Back To Top    #5

Yep, disable the loudness and any other variable/on/off crap and tune again. Then, if you still get the same effect, look for clipping somewhere in the signal chain.