Thread: Choosing a receiver

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Howard
    Vehicle
    Gonzo the Yota 3.0

Re: Choosing a receiver

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    Howard, I know you're on a budget but this might be a situation where you'll just have to buy once and cry once since you'll likely have whatever you end up getting for at least a decade.
    Agreed Chris. I'll see if I have anything to sell to up the budget as well. TONS of old Adcom amps sitting collecting dust, my love of old car audio gear is waning and I am feeling to need to dump a bunch of stuff to make room for a listening space for me and the family.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Scott
    Vehicle
    2005 Toyota 4Runner; 2019 Porsche Cayman GTS

I've generally been pretty pleased with The Wirecutter's picks. https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-receiver/

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by phroenips View Post
    I've generally been pretty pleased with The Wirecutter's picks. https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-receiver/
    Yup they recommend the "normal" yamaha. I'd step up to the aventage for the 7 band para eq for individual speakers. Otherwise you get bass, mid, treble global eq only.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

4. Back To Top    #14

Denons have always been reliable for me. You shouldn't have an issue finding one that will do 5.1 but also have a "stereo" mode if you want just stereo. Multichannel will be mixed down to stereo. Here's one I just grabbed because it has some basic features and should do the trick just nicely. If you want to spend more you're obviously welcome to do so.
    https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-w/heos/1.html

Personally, I'd check your local listings. Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist. You may find something local that will do the job for a whole lot less.
    -- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/

5. Back To Top    #15
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    Howard, I know you're on a budget but this might be a situation where you'll just have to buy once and cry once since you'll likely have whatever you end up getting for at least a decade.
    Hence why getting HDCP 2.2 support is probably wise.

4k HDR TVs are finally getting to a reasonable cost and are a noticeable upgrade from any past 1080p TV. I just made the upgrade myself and it is a big improvement with the Samsung 75 Q70 over the Samsung LED DLP 67.
    Last edited by jrwalte; 12-31-2019 at 11:40 AM.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    Yup they recommend the "normal" yamaha. I'd step up to the aventage for the 7 band para eq for individual speakers. Otherwise you get bass, mid, treble global eq only.
    Technically they identify the Denon AVR-X3500H as the best in their round up, but the Yamaha the best bang for your buck. Personally I'd go with a Denon with X32 Audyssey over the Aventage Yamaha with YPAO

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by jrwalte View Post
    Technically they identify the Denon AVR-X3500H as the best in their round up, but the Yamaha the best bang for your buck. Personally I'd go with a Denon with X32 Audyssey over the Aventage Yamaha with YPAO
    That's only if you are stuck on using the built in time delay and eq. I did that myself with REW.

The yamaha did do a decent job. I did before and after measurements with the Yamaha and my REW work. My work was better but I also checked the phase of the speakers to make sure it was the best possible. I still need to do more...but my dog hates the sound and freaks out.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

8. Back To Top    #18
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

Why bother doing it yourself when Audyssey X32 can do it for you

Below is example of my left front before and after. It matched to the curve almost perfectly. I can enter any custom curve I want and have X32 calibrate to it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gkp6zYbd17GsemWQ9

9. Back To Top    #19
    Real Name
    Howard
    Vehicle
    Gonzo the Yota 3.0

The Denon is in the budget and they make a solid product. I'll see if the shop where I am going this afternoon has them to take a look at.
    the plan is to spend a few more dollars and try to buy local. I like having service when I have a problem.

10. Back To Top    #20

Yamaha user here - pretty reliable if you ask me. If you go Yamaha, go Aventage

I wouldn't bother buying used. Just buy new but from a few years back - been there and it's always tempting to buy the new release only to find out that you're not using much of the new stuffs in it...

Kelvin