Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Choosing a receiver

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Howard
    Vehicle
    Gonzo the Yota 3.0

Choosing a receiver

All right Junkies!! I am looking for a receiver for my setup and am LOST LOST LOST!!! Here is what I would REALLY like for it to do for me
    1. Play 2 channel
    2. Expand to a HT setup
    3. Have HDMI connections for TV and accessories
    4. Under $650 price tag

I don't mind buying something used but I just dont know where to start.
    I know I listed a few receivers in my other post but I am not sure if they will do what I want as far as 2 channel and HT duty.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Re: Choosing a receiver

Before I bought my Denon from jrwalte my research showed Yamaha seemed to have the best bang for the buck if buying new on a budget. No clue on the quality though.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

at that price you may not find something to your liking for good 2-channel use on top of HT. You may have to look at focusing on HT duty and then if not satisfied with the 2 channel performance, use the receiver pre-outs for a separate 2-channel amp. Problem with Receivers is you don't start getting into decent ones until $1000+. Maybe find a used Denon or Marantz. Also if you want 4k HDR passthrough you need HDCP 2.2 support. Any new Receiver probably has this but you'd want to check, especially if you go with older used model.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Howard
    Vehicle
    Gonzo the Yota 3.0

I dont have a 4K TV where this is going(or at all for that matter). Its a 42" Panasonic Plasma that is as old as dirt but has an AMAZING picture so I don't have a reason to get rid of it. The TV in the living room is a 55"" Sony Bravia I bought 2 years ago and didnt think that 4K was worth the extra money at the time.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

I recently watched an audioholics YouTube video and they showed a av receiver with the ability to run a quality 2 channel set up and a 7.1 HT. I believe it was a Denon model, but it may have detailed at $1000. I'll see if I can find the video.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

I love my yamaha aventage RX-A1000 receiver. I paid $400 brand new. I bought it right when the RX-A1001 came out so they were being clearanced. A nice little perk of the aventage series it is a 7 band para eq built in for each individual channel (not sub). The only reason I will ever upgrade it would be to add a separate amp and DSP. I will still use the yamaha as the brain of what source plays.

I had the top of the line "normal" yamaha prior to the aventage (bought it for $300 brand new on clearance for same reason) and it had a lot of the "missing" options compared to the aventage.

My wife had (now in our office for computer duty) a mid level pioneer and I am not impressed by it.

I bought my parents the Sony STR-DN1080 for $250 a couple years ago on a black friday deal and was pleasantly surprised by it. Not a lot of EQ options if you want that built in.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

http://https://youtu.be/TG0_hi7uBNs

Here we go. Denon avr-x3600h but it is $1100. My bad. Second review in the video.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Howard, I know you're on a budget but this might be a situation where you'll just have to buy once and cry once since you'll likely have whatever you end up getting for at least a decade.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    That'll even swing a 4 ohm load if Chef decides to go for the Elac's he's looking at.